New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #2,431 of 5,077
The video is "private" so we are not able to watch it.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,432 of 5,077
Jan 13, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,434 of 5,077

Hi,
I have both DFR (bought it a few weeks before the latter) and Mojo that I'm using mostly with my iPhone 7.
I also feel that the Mojo does sound fuller, more detailed, more natural, way more powerful and less fatiguing than the DFR.
Despite the high price, I'm really happy I purchased the Mojo.
It is of course much less practical than the DFR on the go, but the pleasure it brings to my ears makes me forget this downside.

I'm keeping the DFR nonetheless as it can be very practical when travelling.

One thing keeping me from getting the Mojo, aside from the huge price, is that it wont work with my Spotify.  Unlike with the dragonfly, where Spotify and USB audio out works well with my Redmi Note 3.  Does your Spotify work with your Mojo?

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #2,435 of 5,077

One thing keeping me from getting the Mojo, aside from the huge price, is that it wont work with my Spotify.  Unlike with the dragonfly, where Spotify and USB audio out works well with my Redmi Note 3.  Does your Spotify work with your Mojo?

I'm a bit old school, as I don't use streaming services...

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #2,437 of 5,077
  I have (and love) that exact same combo. I can't exactly articulate how it sounds better WITH this combo...but more like I think it sounds worse WITHOUT it. A slight clean/less noisy/less fatiguing effect? I feel like I can listen a tad quieter too.

The added bonus is it allows me to sit on couch with laptop quite comfortably. When the long Red was sticking out of my computer w/ the headphones plugged in, I didn't love the stress on the USB -- it just seemed to float and want to sag (even if it didn't). The Jitterbug + Tail allows me to sit in pretty much any combination and have Red resting comfortably.

I have the Dragonfly Red DAC and the Jitterbug. The Jitterbug seems well matched with the Dragonfly. The Jitterbug removed a small bit of treble brightness while bringing vocals forward with more clarity. There is still plenty of treble and sparkle, just not so much as to be harsh for the nearfield. I am very pleased.

I recently purchased Dynaudio Excite 14A speakers and found them a bit too bright even after lowering the treble with the control lever on the back of the speakers. The Jitterbug solved the problem.

I noticed that the Dragontail extender muddied the sound. When I removed the Dragontail extender, the sound improved significantly.

I have $400 cables, and so the $20 Dragontail extender may have been a big downgrade. Folks disappointed in their Jitterbug may want to try removing the Dragontail extender to see if that improves the sound. Also, I have been playing music for about 20 hours with the Jitterbug, and that length of time may have contributed to the improvement. But I noticed an immediate difference when I removed the Dragontail extender.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #2,438 of 5,077

I don't see why it wouldn't, tidal works very well with the mojo from my iphone or iPad or computer and they are both a similar subscription service.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #2,439 of 5,077
would always recommend Jitterbug paired with Dragonfly Red. the Dragontail looks nice, but the Tail + Jitterbug are a no-go for me, because the Tail pretty much makes the Jitterbug useless, in my opinion, as far as audio quality is concerned.
but if you want the low down and kicking the bucket pretty soon, the Dragonfly Red + Jitterbug are amazing together...

Agree 100 percent.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,440 of 5,077

Why do you think it doesn't work with Spotify?

I regularly use by Mojo and DFB with Spotify and other other streaming services (Apple Music, Amazon, and Tidal) on both a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 7.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #2,441 of 5,077

My mojo (when I used to own it) worked flawlessly with Spotify - no issues whatsoever.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,443 of 5,077
Just curious does Spotify work with Android? On my Galaxy S5 I assumed it didn't because using UAPP, Spotify is one of the services not listed in the app (although it has Tidal and Qobuz).    

Spotify works on the S5 and will work with the DFB/DFR although there is still the volume issue that is an issue with Android not really the Dragonfly or Spotify to fault for this. Spotify doesn't work with UAPP and if you want to use the DFB/DFR with the Dragonfly you need to make sure that UAPP hasn't taken control of it.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,444 of 5,077
Spotify works on the S5 and will work with the DFB/DFR although there is still the volume issue that is an issue with Android not really the Dragonfly or Spotify to fault for this. Spotify doesn't work with UAPP and if you want to use the DFB/DFR with the Dragonfly you need to make sure that UAPP hasn't taken control of it.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a try tonight as I don't have it on me now. BTW I'm digging the DFB based on your recommendation awhile back!  

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,445 of 5,077
interesting is Linn's opposition to MQA (below)
...Darko says Linn's position is similar to that of Schiit.

Why MQA looks bad for music
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=35624

still so early...guess we'll find out more as the yr unfolds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back