New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Sep 9, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,696 of 5,077
I basically gave up on my issues with DFB volume control on Windows and installed Equalizer APO, a system-wide equalizer that I'm hoping isnt doing more harm than good - I normally try to avoid software equalization where possible. It seems a bit primitive making the changes via a config file instead of a GUI, but I was being bushwhacked by Youtube vids and some of my own music. I now have a lot more headroom with the volume control - similar to what I have in Linux FWIW.

Preamp: -24 dB
Include: example.txt
GraphicEQ: 25 0; 40 0; 63 0; 100 0; 160 0; 250 0; 400 0; 630 0; 1000 0; 1600 0; 2500 0; 4000 0;

6300 0; 10000 0; 16000 0

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #1,697 of 5,077
niic, Are you using the MacBook's fine volume adjustment: Shift + alt (option) + F11/F12 volume keys?

Thanks maltronics, that helped me quite a bit! I might still go back to the store where I bought the DFB to compare it to another unit. To check if this is just the way the DFB is designed, or that it is my unit specifically that is very loud.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,698 of 5,077
I basically gave up on my issues with DFB volume control on Windows and installed Equalizer APO, a system-wide equalizer that I'm hoping isnt doing more harm than good - I normally try to avoid software equalization where possible. It seems a bit primitive making the changes via a config file instead of a GUI, but I was being bushwhacked by Youtube vids and some of my own music. I now have a lot more headroom with the volume control - similar to what I have in Linux FWIW.

Preamp: -24 dB
Include: example.txt
GraphicEQ: 25 0; 40 0; 63 0; 100 0; 160 0; 250 0; 400 0; 630 0; 1000 0; 1600 0; 2500 0; 4000 0;

6300 0; 10000 0; 16000 0

Have you tried using the 'Peace' GUI for Equalizer APO, it seems fairly comprehensive in terms of providing a GUI front end.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,699 of 5,077
Hifi-Plus magazine have just reviewed both DFB and DFR.
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/audioquest-dragonfly-red-and-dragonfly-black-dacs/

Well worth a read for those who are still worried whether DFR is different from DFB.

Also worth a read for those who are wondering how DFR compares to more expensive equipment.
Although the reviewer does not name any names, he was pleasantly surprised with the results from DFR when compared to a battery-powered DAC that cost more than twice the price.
He concluded that DFR gives pricier competition something to worry about (although it does acknowledge in the article that the more expensive DAC had superior bass).

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,701 of 5,077
I'm telling you IMO the DFR is the current best value in market. Mojo was before DFR came out. I have both so I can say.

And to be truthfully honest, no BS, DFR + jitterbug (yes even for smartphones) makes a significant difference in making it even better. I've swapped back and forth between them multiple times on my phone and there's an added smoothness + control with the jitterbug that's just not there without it.

Well... one can say its just a moderate difference rather than "significant", but regardless, its worth it to me.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,702 of 5,077
And to be truthfully honest, no BS, DFR + jitterbug (yes even for smartphones) makes a significant difference in making it even better. I've swapped back and forth between them multiple times on my phone and there's an added smoothness + control with the jitterbug that's just not there without it.

Anyone know where I can just stop by and pick up a Jitterbug that have them in stock in Los Angeles, CA area?

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,706 of 5,077
I understand that but I am looking for Jitterbug in Los Angeles, CA area where I can just pick on up today since I don't feel like waiting for shipping.

My Best Buy in the magnolia room carries them in stock just check to see online if they're in stock by you.
In stock in 3 out 5 locations by me today.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,707 of 5,077
TY. just came back from picking one up. Sound is better in my opinion with my setup. Worth $50.00 I say. I still feel like it loses a bit of transparency of sound (live feel) with the Jitterbug directly on top of DFR or any dac/amp. But I do like the sound inserted on the empty usb socket next to DFR plugged in by itself. Sound is a rougher overall compare to direct connect to DFR, but I feel like it's a good compromise for getting transparency back while still keeping things a bit calmer and sweeter.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #1,708 of 5,077
I'd be careful upgrading to iOS 10 if using a DF and listening to anything streaming. Im getting nice 'screams' every so often as it appears to be loading a buffer. Same happens on the Creative E5

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,709 of 5,077
As tempted as I am by the Red - if only to make my own comparisons with the Black - when it comes to spending 300AUD, I really have to weigh that up against another portable amp (minus DAC) with an external volume control or even another set of cans. Having been down this road before, I know how easy it is to end up with a drawer full of portable gear that is rarely even powered up, much less used - headphones tend to fare a little better over time.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,710 of 5,077
So I asked this question before about the color code on my DFR for streaming HiFi on Tidal on my smartphone, and it's green. Which I guess is ok. But when I'm streaming HiFi music with Tidal on my laptop, I'm getting a magenta color and the sound is amazing! Why am I getting green on my phone but magenta on my laptop? Even with spotify music is showing magenta... I'm a little confused....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back