New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
May 7, 2020 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 759

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 759
I just ordered the Denafrips Gaia.

A couple of months ago, I was just about to order the Audio-GD DI-20HE, so I could use the i2S input on my Denafrips Terminator (I'm using the usb input now, with the unbelievably good Sablon Audio Panatela Reserva usb cable- the new 2020 version).

On the day I was about to click the "order" button on the DI-20HE, I came across some online discussion about Denafrips developing a line of D/D converters, so I decided to wait. I know people are really liking the DI-20 line and this will be a "flyer" for me since there are really no reports yet, but I trust in Denafrips to get it right.

In emails with Alvin Chee of Vinshine Audio (worldwide distributor for Denafrips), he reports the Gaia makes a huge difference connected to his Terminator. Hopefully my Gaia won't take too long to build and ship.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 759
I just ordered the Denafrips Gaia.

A couple of months ago, I was just about to order the Audio-GD DI-20HE, so I could use the i2S input on my Denafrips Terminator (I'm using the usb input now, with the unbelievably good Sablon Audio Panatela Reserva usb cable- the new 2020 version).

On the day I was about to click the "order" button on the DI-20HE, I came across some online discussion about Denafrips developing a line of D/D converters, so I decided to wait. I know people are really liking the DI-20 line and this will be a "flyer" for me since there are really no reports yet, but I trust in Denafrips to get it right.

In emails with Alvin Chee of Vinshine Audio (worldwide distributor for Denafrips), he reports the Gaia makes a huge difference connected to his Terminator. Hopefully my Gaia won't take too long to build and ship.

Look forward to your impressions. Would have been awesome if you got both and did a shootout but of course this would be expensive. Congrats on the purchase.

May 24, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 759
Hi Guys,
My DDC path has been, SU1> Gustard U16. After I upgarded my DSP card to V2 from Denafrips, I liked the sound so much I sold my Gustard U16, any way, it was a bit of a hit and miss with that product. I was glad the new board from Denafrips was perfect for me. Now, this Gaia is being released and am very interested to know how much of a difference it would make. Exciting times ahead indeed.

May 25, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 759
Look forward to your impressions. Would have been awesome if you got both and did a shootout but of course this would be expensive. Congrats on the purchase.

I wish I had an Audio-gd DI-20HE to compare to Gaia, but no such luck.... unless a DI-20HE owner wants to ship a unit to me for comparisons. :relaxed: :beerchug:

I've had quite a few D/D converters (Berkeley, Bel Canto RefLink and uLink, AR-T Legato, etc.) but the only one I have left here to use for direct comparison is a Breeze DU U8 which does have i2s and AES/EBU output- I am guessing the Gaia beats it. My Gaia should be shipping in the next 7-10 days.

May 25, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 759
I wish I had an Audio-gd DI-20HE to compare to Gaia, but no such luck.... unless a DI-20HE owner wants to ship a unit to me for comparisons. :relaxed: :beerchug:

I've had quite a few D/D converters (Berkeley, Bel Canto RefLink and uLink, AR-T Legato, etc.) but the only one I have left here to use for direct comparison is a Breeze DU U8 which does have i2s and AES/EBU output- I am guessing the Gaia beats it. My Gaia should be shipping in the next 7-10 days.

Did you pick the Gaia over the DI20HE because you already have a terminator?

May 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 759
Did you pick the Gaia over the DI20HE because you already have a terminator?

I picked Gaia because: (1) I have had great experience with my Terminator and Vinshine Audio, (2) Denafrips is getting almost universal praise across their entire range of products and Denafrips put almost 3 years of research and design into this new line of D/D converters, so odds are that these new D/D converters will be good performers, and (3) I have no personal experience with Audio-gd.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 759
I picked Gaia because: (1) I have had great experience with my Terminator and Vinshine Audio, (2) Denafrips is getting almost universal praise across their entire range of products and Denafrips put almost 3 years of research and design into this new line of D/D converters, so odds are that these new D/D converters will be good performers, and (3) I have no personal experience with Audio-gd.

I think it will be a great unit for sure. I just ordered DI20HE based on all the hype. Hopefully it works out.

I am still thinking of the soundaware 280, 300 or 300ref.

May 28, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 759
From all I have read, the DI20 HE is going to serve you very well. Like I said, but for the Gaia, I would almost certainly have bought the DI20 HE.

Side note- How do you like your Yamaha NS5000's?

May 28, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 759
I ordered my Gaia on May 10th. When I ordered Alvin said there was a chance my unit would ship within 3 weeks (i.e. faster than the normal period). However, Alvin told me on Tuesday there has been just a bit of a delay caused by the chassis supplier. He now thinks my unit will ship in about 10 days.

May 29, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 759
From all I have read, the DI20 HE is going to serve you very well. Like I said, but for the Gaia, I would almost certainly have bought the DI20 HE.

Side note- How do you like your Yamaha NS5000's?

They are amazing! Don't want to get off topic. Feel free to come to our discord in my signature or PM me.

May 31, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 759
I wanted to wait since I just got it, but I cannot stay away from giving my initial impressions. Mind you the ocxo is still not stable I think, but it sounds really really good. The thing that truly stands out is the 3D of the presentation. The detail retrieval, the stereo imaging, staging is addictive. It’s so musical as well with a very Low noise floor if any at all. I definitely cannot hear any harshness and background is very quiet.

The ocxo once settled should bring the Termy to a very level to DACs costing much much more I feel. Words are not enough, u have to hear it in action. Oh God what have I got myself into now. Alvin you are the kind my mum advised to keep away from. Lol. This is a fantastic piece of gear and once you hear it, there’s no turning back I’m afraid. Photos to follow tomorrow guys, it’s going to be a late night for me I guess.

Whoever has ordered it, be prepared for some very late nights and early mornings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back