New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
May 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #16 of 759
I wanted to wait since I just got it, but I cannot stay away from giving my initial impressions. Mind you the ocxo is still not stable I think, but it sounds really really good. The thing that truly stands out is the 3D of the presentation. The detail retrieval, the stereo imaging, staging is addictive. It’s so musical as well with a very Low noise floor if any at all. I definitely cannot hear any harshness and background is very quiet.

The ocxo once settled should bring the Termy to a very level to DACs costing much much more I feel. Words are not enough, u have to hear it in action. Oh God what have I got myself into now. Alvin you are the kind my mum advised to keep away from. Lol. This is a fantastic piece of gear and once you hear it, there’s no turning back I’m afraid. Photos to follow tomorrow guys, it’s going to be a late night for me I guess.

Whoever has ordered it, be prepared for some very late nights and early mornings.

Thanks so much for the early report! The crazy part is, your Gaia is not even burned in yet. Great descriptions of the sonic improvements. I can't wait to receive mine.

May 31, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 759
What exactly is the point of these? The Denafrips page gives no information on what they do other than that they're DDCs.

Is it an Upscaler (like the Chord M-Scaler?), or an external clock (like the Teac Master Clock?)

May 31, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 759
What exactly is the point of these? The Denafrips page gives no information on what they do other than that they're DDCs.

Is it an Upscaler (like the Chord M-Scaler?), or an external clock (like the Teac Master Clock?)

Its a digital to digital converter and has its own clock. Its not a master clock or upscaler.

May 31, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #20 of 759
I wanted to wait since I just got it, but I cannot stay away from giving my initial impressions. Mind you the ocxo is still not stable I think, but it sounds really really good. The thing that truly stands out is the 3D of the presentation. The detail retrieval, the stereo imaging, staging is addictive. It’s so musical as well with a very Low noise floor if any at all. I definitely cannot hear any harshness and background is very quiet.

The ocxo once settled should bring the Termy to a very level to DACs costing much much more I feel. Words are not enough, u have to hear it in action. Oh God what have I got myself into now. Alvin you are the kind my mum advised to keep away from. Lol. This is a fantastic piece of gear and once you hear it, there’s no turning back I’m afraid. Photos to follow tomorrow guys, it’s going to be a late night for me I guess.

Whoever has ordered it, be prepared for some very late nights and early mornings.

Sounds amazing! I wish someone could compare it to DI20HE. Sounds like it might be better, most ppl with DI20HE mentioned it initially sounds bad. What is your whole chain ?

May 31, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 759
Sounds amazing! I wish someone could compare it to DI20HE. Sounds like it might be better, most ppl with DI20HE mentioned it initially sounds bad. What is your whole chain ?
2x sotm switches (fully loaded)>Zenith Mk2>sms-200 ultra Neo (Full upgrades)>tx-usb ultra (Full upgrades)>Gaia>Termy>SPEC V1 amp>Abyss CC.

1. SoTm Trifecta is clocked by SoTm Master clock (Going in soon for upgrade) using Tellurium Silver Diamond 75ohm and SoTm 50ohm BNC
2. Power cables are a combination of Tellurium Silver and Black
3. Ethernet cables are SoTm dcBl-cat 7 (4 runs) with ISO cat 6 blocks (2 blocks)
4. PSU are currently sps-500 (4units using Neotech solid core DC cable) Farad 3 OTW, just ordered.
5. Furutech cable lifters and Boosters
6. Shunyata Triton V1 power conditioner

May 31, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 759
2x sotm switches (fully loaded)>Zenith Mk2>sms-200 ultra Neo (Full upgrades)>tx-usb ultra (Full upgrades)>Gaia>Termy>SPEC V1 amp>Abyss CC.

1. SoTm Trifecta is clocked by SoTm Master clock (Going in soon for upgrade) using Tellurium Silver Diamond 75ohm and SoTm 50ohm BNC
2. Power cables are a combination of Tellurium Silver and Black
3. Ethernet cables are SoTm dcBl-cat 7 (4 runs) with ISO cat 6 blocks (2 blocks)
4. PSU are currently sps-500 (4units using Neotech solid core DC cable) Farad 3 OTW, just ordered.
5. Furutech cable lifters and Boosters
6. Shunyata Triton V1 power conditioner

Jesus man. This is one insane hell of a chain. Must be god rays coming out of the abyss.

No speakers?

Any pics of your setup?

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 759
Jesus man. This is one insane hell of a chain. Must be god rays coming out of the abyss.

No speakers?
Nope, do not have the space smodtactical for a speaker setup, but I have pretty much set it up for a speaker system if and when I can. I am very happy with my current set up. I feel its the closest you will get to speakers using headphones for depth and placement, but for resolution and details, I guess you will have to spend at least $100k to hear what I can hear on my headphones. Its very resolving and bloody addictive man. Toe tapping everytime I put it on.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #25 of 759
Nope, do not have the space smodtactical for a speaker setup, but I have pretty much set it up for a speaker system if and when I can. I am very happy with my current set up. I feel its the closest you will get to speakers using headphones for depth and placement, but for resolution and details, I guess you will have to spend at least $100k to hear what I can hear on my headphones. Its very resolving and bloody addictive man. Toe tapping everytime I put it on.

Your amp is what $10k? And your abyss $6k? MSRP?

I would take that $16k. Get an Pass XP20 (About $8k new/4k used) and XA100.8s ($10k used) and finish it off with Sopra 3 ($10-12k used). Even if I get like $10k for your headphones and and amp total. I will spend about $15k out of pocket used and I bet have a pretty amazing system. Would be interesting to see how that system compares to the abyss. :D

Maybe future ideas if you go to a new space.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #26 of 759
Your amp is what $10k? And your abyss $6k? MSRP?

I would take that $16k. Get an Pass XP20 (About $8k new/4k used) and XA100.8s ($10k used) and finish it off with Sopra 3 ($10-12k used). Even if I get like $10k for your headphones and and amp total. I will spend about $15k out of pocket used and I bet have a pretty amazing system. Would be interesting to see how that system compares to the abyss. :D

Maybe future ideas if you go to a new space.
Hi Smod,
Thank you for your kind words and recommendations. TBH, I have never really bothered with the money part of it, I just buy what I can afford or stuff that's heavily recommended. I guess all of us are just as addicted to the jump in SQ when a gear is upgraded or added. I'm now waiting for the Farad 3 to be put in when it arrives. I love my sps-500 though its a SMPS and I have resisted changing it out thus far. I went very close to ordering a PH or a Plixir Elite but held off till my friend Ken from CA convinced me on the Farad.

A good speaker set up will always be a better experience cause you get the depth and the overall staging that only a speaker setup can give, though the Abyss comes very close. The resolution, micro details though are why I love the Abyss. To me they are the best headphones money can buy at the moment at least. I do have a Audezez LCD3F and a Hifiman, but I can tell you, the Abyss smokes them to abyss and back.

As for future plans, once kids get married its definietly on the cards. My wifey, she too understands that a nice dedicated room is a must for a speaker system to shine and give me the presentation that I crave. For now, my beloved Abyss is keeping me very happy. Cheers. Stay safe buddy.

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #28 of 759
I'm now waiting for the Farad 3 to be put in when it arrives. I love my sps-500 though its a SMPS and I have resisted changing it out thus far. I went very close to ordering a PH or a Plixir Elite but held off till my friend Ken from CA convinced me on the Farad.

A good speaker set up will always be a better experience cause you get the depth and the overall staging that only a speaker setup can give, though the Abyss comes very close. The resolution, micro details though are why I love the Abyss. To me they are the best headphones money can buy at the moment at least. I do have a Audezez LCD3F and a Hifiman, but I can tell you, the Abyss smokes them to abyss and back.

As for future plans, once kids get married its definietly on the cards. My wifey, she too understands that a nice dedicated room is a must for a speaker system to shine and give me the presentation that I crave. For now, my beloved Abyss is keeping me very happy. Cheers. Stay safe buddy.

First, congratulations on the Gaia purchase! Also, we must be surfing the same wave- I purchased a second Farad Super3 last week and it is supposed to ship today. I also bought an Audio Sensibility Signature Silver DC cable for it. I have the same Farad/Signature Silver powering my EtherRegen and liked it so much I decided to buy a second combo to power my UltraRendu.

I totally get it on the headphone vs. speaker setup. Your headphones are at the top of the mountain and the rest of your system is outstanding as well so you are in excellent shape until you get your speaker setup and even then I bet you will use your headphones as well. I listen to both headphones and speakers, although the majority of my time is spent listening to my speaker setup. I was finally able to get a nice dedicated room for just my hifi, so I am able to get my listening chair and speakers in the optimal locations and then I added a bunch of acoustic diffusion and absorption treatments from Vicoustic and GIK and it is awesome. Like you, I have a very cool wife that is supportive of my audio obsession.

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #29 of 759
I should also mention- if anyone is looking for ethernet or usb cables for a DDC or other component, you need to take a serious look at Sablon Audio's newly designed for 2020 ethernet and usb cables.

I ended up buying 4 of the Sablon ethernet cables and the usb cable and the sound quality is off the charts. Check out ray-dude's 5 part review of the Taiko Extreme on audiophile style. In one section, he discusses the Sablon cables and he obviously loves them as well.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #30 of 759
First, congratulations on the Gaia purchase! Also, we must be surfing the same wave- I purchased a second Farad Super3 last week and it is supposed to ship today. I also bought an Audio Sensibility Signature Silver DC cable for it. I have the same Farad/Signature Silver powering my EtherRegen and liked it so much I decided to buy a second combo to power my UltraRendu.

I totally get it on the headphone vs. speaker setup. Your headphones are at the top of the mountain and the rest of your system is outstanding as well so you are in excellent shape until you get your speaker setup and even then I bet you will use your headphones as well. I listen to both headphones and speakers, although the majority of my time is spent listening to my speaker setup. I was finally able to get a nice dedicated room for just my hifi, so I am able to get my listening chair and speakers in the optimal locations and then I added a bunch of acoustic diffusion and absorption treatments from Vicoustic and GIK and it is awesome. Like you, I have a very cool wife that is supportive of my audio obsession.
Thank you for the kind words and a big thank you. Blake you might want to give the Mundorf Silver Hook up wires a try too. They are very highly regarded. The AS cable was also highly recommended on CA, so I guess you are safe hands there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back