New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #31 of 759
I should also mention- if anyone is looking for ethernet or usb cables for a DDC or other component, you need to take a serious look at Sablon Audio's newly designed for 2020 ethernet and usb cables.

I ended up buying 4 of the Sablon ethernet cables and the usb cable and the sound quality is off the charts. Check out ray-dude's 5 part review of the Taiko Extreme on audiophile style. In one section, he discusses the Sablon cables and he obviously loves them as well.
Mark has really worked his magic on those. Merlin's magic dust I guess. I used his USB before I switched to Tellurium SD.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #32 of 759
Gaia ordered. Just received a nice bump in sound quality with the latest DSP board, so I’m curious if the Gaia can take it even further.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #33 of 759
All the terminator boys going Gaia eh. I feel left out. I ordered u1 mini + di20HE. I wish I could compare.

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #35 of 759
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #36 of 759
I'm looking forward to it. By the way, what are you using for a connection and cable? I'm assuming i2s via HDMI. I just purchased a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse HDMI that's on the way, but I'm open to other suggestions. This cable looks interesting: https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/

Phasure makes an I2S as well, just another option for your consideration, I was pretty happy w/ their USB in the past.
https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #37 of 759
I'm looking forward to it. By the way, what are you using for a connection and cable? I'm assuming i2s via HDMI. I just purchased a Wireworld Platinum Eclipse HDMI that's on the way, but I'm open to other suggestions. This cable looks interesting: https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/
I sold my AQ Chocolate when I sold my Gustard U16. Hence now I'm using an el cheapo HDMI ($5) nothing fancy yet, but I tell what, the Gaia sounds fantastic even with this and a normal Power cord. Alvin has recommended this though, https://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/HiFi-Home/Multimediakabel-EXCELSIOR-BlueWater-EBH4.html

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #38 of 759
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #40 of 759
Did they offer a trial period?
Hi,
I never did ask Alvin, but he is very confident in the Gaia and true enough it exceeded all expectations when I put it into my chain. I am still wondering how more it will improve with a nice hdmi and power cord, cause as of now I’m still running an el cheapo hdmi and a quiet basic power cord. The PC is a Monster 400 line.

Hope I answered your question sir. Suggest u get in touch with Alvin and enquire. His sales and after sales service is one of the best in the industry imho.

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #42 of 759
I wonder how they compare to Alvin’s previous recommendation, the Singxer SU-6?
Just today I passed my Gaia to a friend who wanted to try it out on his setup. He's using a souped up SU-1. Initial impressions were that the Gaia is more coherent, cleaner, quieter, better focus and improved dynamics.

Of course there are tons of gear out there to be recommended, all in good faith. I'm just sharing my findings here and that's what this thread is about isn't it? Every setup is unique and every ear with different taste. As always YMMV. If there is someone out there with another DDC and can compare it with the Gaia please do share your impressions here so that we can share and learn from each others' experience. Thank you.

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #43 of 759
Just today I passed my Gaia to a friend who wanted to try it out on his setup. He's using a souped up SU-1. Initial impressions were that the Gaia is more coherent, cleaner, quieter, better focus and improved dynamics.

Of course there are tons of gear out there to be recommended, all in good faith. I'm just sharing my findings here and that's what this thread is about isn't it? Every setup is unique and every ear with different taste. As always YMMV. If there is someone out there with another DDC and can compare it with the Gaia please do share your impressions here so that we can share and learn from each others' experience. Thank you.

Any of your friends have a DI20HE? Thats the showdown I really want to see. Im sure the Gaia will win but by how much?

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #45 of 759
Phasure makes an I2S as well, just another option for your consideration, I was pretty happy w/ their USB in the past.
https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable

i have the phasure i2s hdmi cable and it is really amazing. super transparent, clear, lush. but by far the most notable improvement was the soundstage and 3d imaging. i sold off my other (much cheaper) hdmi cables after getting the one from phasure, and then, ordered another one from him for my other setup. i also have his lush^2 usb, and am now contemplating their XLR interconnects..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back