New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #751 of 759
I experienced something similar. In my case I decided the cause was my computer (Apple MBP M1) did not have the power to do the computing needed with HQplayer and Roon using some of the more computing heavy filters.

Also I believe I2s has a maximum of 705.6k so HQplayer needs to be kept within that limit when using I2s from the Iris to the dac.
That is not my case. If not use the ddc and connect the dac directly is no problem. I use this setting for one year. Poppling sound happen after I use the DDC.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #757 of 759
@rreynolds any feedback on original Gaia vs 12th?
@rreynolds I am curious about this too, but I didn't come across your comparison if you did post one. Can you share your opinions on the differences or point me to any prior postings on the comparison?

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #758 of 759
@rreynolds I am curious about this too, but I didn't come across your comparison if you did post one. Can you share your opinions on the differences or point me to any prior postings on the comparison?
I have the original. I asked the dealer about upgrading. He said the changes were minor and not worth it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #759 of 759
I have the original. I asked the dealer about upgrading. He said the changes were minor and not worth it.
I did a bit more research and finally got some answers from the YouTube video linked below from Denafrips. The Gaia 12th vs the original Gaia has these changes:
  • UPOCC copper transformer of higher wattage (Side note: I have UPOCC copper interconnects from Iconoclast cables and UPOCC copper is known for tonal richness.)
  • UPOCC copper gold-plated inlet
  • Aluminum casing encapsulating the clocks for better RFI/EMI shielding
  • Denafrips sourced capacitors replacing older Elna/Nichicon capacitors, but supposedly of comparable quality
  • Other non-described changes to the circuitry
At least one reviewer apparently experienced greater clarity going from Gaia to Gaia 12th. (I suspect this is @rreynolds himself given that the reviewer is listed as Robert R.).

In the end, I am theorizing that it might be the aluminum casing over the OCXO clocks that might be making the most noticeable difference in terms of quieter background, improving clarity. Given no tonal shift heard, I don't think the UPOCC copper is improving tone as it is not directly in the signal path.

I don't think it would be worth it for existing Gaia owners to upgrade, but for folks deciding between a used Gaia vs. a new Gaia 12th, it might be worth the splurge unless the original is available at a deep discount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back