New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #676 of 1,155
I really quite liked the IO-12, but they didn't quite warranty a full 5-stars, read the review to find out why:

Dali IO-12 Full Review

Pretty accurate (in a "review-polite" way), at least gives hints where to check out if personal preferences match the expectations and competition.

Since it gets so close to the best ANC sound quality, it also gets more scrutiny and criticism, but it's one of the best ANC headphones to start with, when sound quality is concerned.

IMHO, when compared with passive mode, the signal processing seems to compensate a bit too much for the HK-curve, and there are some issues around 80-100 Hz and 6 kHz (both match with the review comments). Part of the issues seem to be caused partly by the ear pads IMHO, but the DSP could compensate for those.

The lack of firmware upgradeability is a big miss, and an app would be still useful, if included some profiling options.

Anyway, with some small adjustments, I am happy with them, and for me they're the best ANC headphones to date.
But it seems not everyone shares that outcome, for reasons also outlined in this post, and when the price is also taken into account. I think people need to try them for themselves before buying - just like with other ANC headphones, in fact. So far, the reviews (both professional and forum reviews) of ANC headphones have been more misleading (in the sense of generated expectations vs. personal experience) for me than reviews of passive headphones. This review is pretty good, though, in that sense.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #677 of 1,155
The lack of firmware upgradeability is a big miss, and an app would be still useful, if included some profiling options.
I have updated the IO-6 firmware with their windows software without any hassle, I assume IO-12 will eventually have the same option if a firmware update is needed.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #678 of 1,155
I have updated the IO-6 firmware with their windows software without any hassle, I assume IO-12 will eventually have the same option if a firmware update is needed.
Yeah but the convenience for a lot of people with every other headphones on the market in the ANC category is that they can update it straight from their phone. It’s a feature lacking here that every other competitor has that to me factors into the value proposition here

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #679 of 1,155

If Dali doing the same as with their iO-4 and iO-6, then firmware updates will becoming available via their website possibly in the future, using the USB-C cable connecting to a laptop/computer (B&W doing the same with their 7 years old P7 Wireless, by the way).

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #680 of 1,155
Yeah but the convenience for a lot of people with every other headphones on the market in the ANC category is that they can update it straight from their phone. It’s a feature lacking here that every other competitor has that to me factors into the value proposition here
That’s I think a nothing burger. Anyone buying these headphones knows what they are getting into when it comes to firmware

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #681 of 1,155
Very true, just wanted to point it out that firmware update is possible.

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #682 of 1,155
Correct, from that perspective there's no difference between a desktop and a smartphone app. I do believe though that majority would prefer to go with smartphone for firmware updates.
However, I think, Dali's claim of no-app as a feature was about ability to adjust their sound (Bass mode) without the app. Successful or not, that's another story. But I appreciate their approach of releasing a complete product (when customers aren't treated as actual beta testers).

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #683 of 1,155
What really very good reproduction the iO-12 is giving of this excellent track. But is not only that, the 32 volume steps of the Dalis are essential (for me) in a track like this for getting the volume I really want, at least with iOS or macOS devices (the Solitaire T and, even more bad, the Bathys are nor giving a good volume control of this track).

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #684 of 1,155
Tried out the Dalis on a plane. Definitely adequate, particularly if you have music playing (by themselves, just take off the edge, again, they are no AirPods Max). So comfortable I fell asleep with them on during a 4 hour flight.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #685 of 1,155
Tried out the Dalis on a plane. Definitely adequate, particularly if you have music playing (by themselves, just take off the edge, again, they are no AirPods Max). So comfortable I fell asleep with them on during a 4 hour flight.
I agree, but I do wish they had an Airplane ANC High mode. Current IO-12 ANC in airports etc is totally fine. It's just those loud planes, and in a flight I will trade some SQ for some greater quiet.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #686 of 1,155
I agree, but I do wish they had an Airplane ANC High mode. Current IO-12 ANC in airports etc is totally fine. It's just those loud planes, and in a flight I will trade some SQ for some greater quiet.
Agreed, worth pinging Dali APAC about this

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #687 of 1,155
Hi,
I received my IO-12.
First impressions are mixed.
I think I need to warm them up more.
But even out of the box they sound nicer than the ML 5909 (just my personal opinion).
And they are more comfortable to fit, although they do hang a little on the ears (I’m not sure about the tightness of the fit). It seems that due to insufficient density, others will hear the sound around, this is what I was afraid of.
The overall picture is ringing and warm, but so far there is not enough drive in the male vocals, perhaps after warming up it will appear.
Although the maximum volume level was not quite sufficient for me (I have a somewhat low hearing threshold, but I didn’t think it was that low).
But overall the impressions are quite pleasant.
It's a pity that I didn't get to listen to Focal Bathys to compare.
Maybe I'm being sarcastic even to myself by trying to find something similar to that "kind of sound" what I've been used to for many years before (Sennheiser PXC 550) :grinning: before it broke. That headset had a main focus on the voice (it was designed for call centers) and all types of vocals sounded very good, to the point of goosebumps.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #688 of 1,155
And they are more comfortable to fit, although they do hang a little on the ears (I’m not sure about the tightness of the fit). It seems that due to insufficient density, others will hear the sound around, this is what I was afraid of.
The overall picture is ringing and warm, but so far there is not enough drive in the male vocals, perhaps after warming up it will appear.
Although the maximum volume level was not quite sufficient for me (I have a somewhat low hearing threshold, but I didn’t think it was that low).
But overall the impressions are quite pleasant.
I wonder if there is an issue with fit/position, as these leak less than my other headphones and are super quiet according to my wife.

What surprises me is that volume level is too low for you. These are the loudest I tried along with the Bathys. I listened to H95 and ML 5909 at 80%-90% volume, whereas with these I listen at 50%-60%. Makes me wonder if there are issues with your pair.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #689 of 1,155
I wonder if there is an issue with fit/position, as these leak less than my other headphones and are super quiet according to my wife.

What surprises me is that volume level is too low for you. These are the loudest I tried along with the Bathys. I listened to H95 and ML 5909 at 80%-90% volume, whereas with these I listen at 50%-60%. Makes me wonder if there are issues with your pair.
My experience as well is that I would have it somewhere between 80 and 90% volume on these headphones versus others. They definitely were quieter than some other pairs I’ve had so I find that to be an interesting thing

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #690 of 1,155
These are the loudest I tried along with the Bathys. I listened to H95 and ML 5909 at 80%-90% volume, whereas with these I listen at 50%-60%.

You are correct. The iO-12 is one of the BT/ANC headphones with more maximum volume in the market, with definitely very more volume than the ML 5909, H95, and Solitaire T.

With the iO-12 I have many albums that if I using 70% volume, I will damaging my hearing in only one hour or two, and I’m not exaggerating about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back