New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #691 of 1,110
I just tested a USB-dongle (Sennheiser BTD-800) to connect Dali to my PC wirelessly (that dongle was included with my previous PXC 550 headphones).

Result: Working fine :) Even on Linux. Pairing really didn’t happen right away, I had to turn it off 2 times for success. The only problem is volume control. Sometimes software control from a PC does not work. But I think there are more Linux problems here than headphones. I will investigate the issue further. And yes, this dongle has support for Apt-X, although the manual is unclear about this.

Sennheiser/EPOS USB-dongle can be purchased separately, but it is a bit costy (~$80).. Aliexpress sells Ugreen dongles for about $12 (they say they support Apt-X, good reviews), I’m going to test and buy one from there for my another PC.

By the way, I notice a weak level of gray noise in idle mode (while ANС is off). It doesn't irritate and barely noticeable. It seems to me that this kind of background noise was much more noticeable in ML 5909 than in IO-12.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #692 of 1,110
I just tested a USB-dongle (Sennheiser BTD-800) to connect Dali to my PC wirelessly (that dongle was included with my previous PXC 550 headphones).

Result: Working fine :) Even on Linux. Pairing really didn’t happen right away, I had to turn it off 2 times for success. The only problem is volume control. Sometimes software control from a PC does not work. But I think there are more Linux problems here than headphones. I will investigate the issue further. And yes, this dongle has support for Apt-X, although the manual is unclear about this.

Sennheiser/EPOS USB-dongle can be purchased separately, but it is a bit costy (~$80).. Aliexpress sells Ugreen dongles for about $12 (they say they support Apt-X, good reviews), I’m going to test and buy one from there for my another PC.

By the way, I notice a weak level of gray noise in idle mode (while ANС is off). It doesn't irritate and barely noticeable. It seems to me that this kind of background noise was much more noticeable in ML 5909 than in IO-12.
Do you like the sound?

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #693 of 1,110
Do you like the sound?
I’m not ready to say definitively yet, it seems to me that I need more time to warm up the headphones first.

But for the first time the impressions are very good.
I will very likely keep them; there are no plans to return them yet.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but today they sound better than yesterday (when I took them out of the box).
Now I listen and I like the sound, whereas yesterday, as soon as I turned it on for the first time, it didn’t seem very good to me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #694 of 1,110
I’m not ready to say definitively yet, it seems to me that I need more time to warm up the headphones first.

But for the first time the impressions are very good.
I will very likely keep them; there are no plans to return them yet.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but today they sound better than yesterday (when I took them out of the box).
Now I listen and I like the sound, whereas yesterday, as soon as I turned it on for the first time, it didn’t seem very good to me.
The infamous burn in! 😂🫡

Feb 18, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #695 of 1,110
Before returning my IO-12, I had the similar impression.
Sometimes it sounded good, sometimes not. I never experienced this issue in my current MSR7b

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #697 of 1,110
Occasionally, when I turn the IO-12 off, the battery light stays on. They can no longer connect via BT, and at the same time they aren't fully off. I need to turn them off again, and power them back on to reconnect BT. This is intermittent. Has anyone had that problem?

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #698 of 1,110
Occasionally, when I turn the IO-12 off, the battery light stays on. They can no longer connect via BT, and at the same time they aren't fully off. I need to turn them off again, and power them back on to reconnect BT. This is intermittent. Has anyone had that problem?

I don't have this problem personally, but maybe a good idea for you is restarting the headphone or, if problem is continuing, doing a full factory reset (for both options you have instructions in the user's manual).

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #699 of 1,110
So, it is my 3rd day of using IO-12..

I don’t know, maybe it’s self-conviction, lol, a placebo effect, but it seems that the sound has finally become more voluminous and with a separation of frequencies and stage (yesterday it was 50/50 mixed and 50/50 flat).

Therefore, those guys who said that the headphones need to be burned were probably absolutely right 🤝
I'm starting to like this thing more and more. :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #700 of 1,110
So, it is my 3rd day of using IO-12..

I don’t know, maybe it’s self-conviction, lol, a placebo effect, but it seems that the sound has finally become more voluminous and with a separation of frequencies and stage (yesterday it was 50/50 mixed and 50/50 flat).

Therefore, those guys who said that the headphones need to be burned were probably absolutely right 🤝
I'm starting to like this thing more and more. :)
I think for this pair, maybe due to how the drivers work, it’s absolutely real

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #701 of 1,110
does anyone run into the issue where the Dalis will draw charge from your DAP or phone when plugged via USB-C out?

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #703 of 1,110
Not a single time for almost two months of use here.
I don't have this problem personally, but maybe a good idea for you is restarting the headphone or, if problem is continuing, doing a full factory reset (for both options you have instructions in the user's manual).
Yes, makes sense, agree.

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #704 of 1,110
I will share my first impressions of the Dali iO-12 Bluetooth headphones (test drive)

Briefly about my criteria and scenario for using Bluetooth headphones, for a general understanding of the logic of description. For me, when choosing Bluetooth headphones, the most valuable things (the criteria are listed in priority order): sound quality and comfort; passive sound isolation from household noise; autonomy and flexibility of use; ergonomics.
My main scenario for using Bluetooth headphones is listening to music indoors (office or home), but I would not like to be tied to a place and have time limits for my listening.
I usually listen to music using a streaming service via a Bluetooth headphone connection.

Actually about the Dali iO-12 Bluetooth headphones themselves

After unpacking the new Dali iO-12 Bluetooth headphones, first of all they need to go through operating time (warm up). This is especially important to do for wired (passive) connection mode to the 3.5 mm jack. The initial impression of the sound quality when listening in wired mode connected to a 3.5 mm jack, new and not yet warmed up headphones, is not particularly impressive. After 50-70 hours of operation (warm-up), the sound quality becomes much better, but unfortunately, it is worse than when actively connecting headphones via USB or Bluetooth.

Usually, for the final conclusion on sound quality, my standard operating procedure (warm-up) of the device includes at least 300 hours. By the way, a wired connection is perfect for constant burning out. Since the Dali iO-12 headphones have other electronics, I warmed them up in passive mode for 150 hours, via a wired 3.5 mm jack connection. The remaining 150 hours of operating time were with USB and Bluetooth connected in active mode. By the time this post was published, the operating time (warm-up) of the new Dali iO-12 headphones was more than 300 hours (14 days) plus a month of daily use for at least 2 hours. In general, I have already lived for some time with the Dali iO-12.

Now about the main positive aspects and expectations (wishes to improve the Dali iO-12)

What I liked about the Dali iO-12 (the main positive points based on my priorities outlined above):

+ excellent sound quality (brief sound description: Dali iO-12 headphones have excellent tonal balance and timbral fidelity; high level of macrodynamics (presence of impact power, excellent speed of transient processes, sound of instruments has full body) and microdynamics (sufficient level of resolution and detail); when listening to music, you can hear first-level harmonics (overtone, after-sound). Dali iO-12 headphones successfully represent the surround sound space, the sound is comparable to high-end open headphones. The sound of Dali iO-12 headphones is involving and amazing, you hear music (harmony), and not individual sounds. The Dali iO-12 headphones are UNIQUE here!). I got the best sound from the DALI iO-12 with a direct USB connection to the Lumin U2 and from Roon Nucleus Plus (Qobuz) => USB => DALI iO-12 (direct DSP settings);
+ successfully reproduce different musical genres;
+ suitable for critical and background listening;
+ good comfort (I don’t feel wearing headphones; big ear pads are comfortable; optimal level of pressure from the headphone design on the head area);
+ a sufficient level of passive sound cancellation (without activating the ANC mode), household noise does not bother you when listening to music indoors (at home or in the office), and the sound from the headphones also does not disturb the people around you (at about 50% of the volume the people around you can’t hear the music);
+ at a room temperature of 18-19 degrees, the ears and head do not sweat (after 2 - 3 hours of use you feel a slight heating in the area where the ear pads adhere to the head);
+ three main connection options (Bluetooth, USB, wired via a 3.5 mm jack (active and passive)). The Bluetooth connection option allows you to organize your music listening sessions autonomously and more flexibly;
+ complete disabling of ANC mode;
+ good control ergonomics (the control buttons are intuitive to me);
+ competitive price, at this price you get an easy start into the world of high-quality Hi-Fi sound (with USB connection, the sound quality is comparable to stationary or portable systems in the 2-3K price range. You do not need a lot of different equipment (STEAMER / DAC / AMP, etc.). All you need is a mobile phone or computer and you are already there, in the world of high-quality Hi-Fi sound). Bluetooth connection (Audio Codecs aptX HD, aptX Adaptive) produces sound of good quality as well.

Today, this is one of the best offers on the market!

What I would like to improve in the Dali iO-12 (which elements, in my opinion, require further improvement (without changing the price of the headphones) or, if this is of course possible, make changes to the new firmware version):

firmware
I would like to be able to return to the old firmware version at the user's choice, and not just in one direction.
By the way, here the manufacturer can consider the possibility of making several firmware options that correspond to different sound profiles (here the bass button will come in handy). For example: for different musical genres (classical / jazz) or (pop / rock), etc.
- does not support LDAC, LHDC, UAT Bluetooth codecs (would like to be able to use these codecs).

wired connection of headphones via a 3.5 mm jack (passive connection), it is clear that the new firmware will not help here in any way
- the sound quality of a wired connection via a 3.5 mm jack (passive connection) is worse than when connecting via USB or Bluetooth. I would like that with a wired connection via a 3.5 mm jack (passive connection), the sound quality would be comparable to a connection via USB or Bluetooth (currently I don’t have a good cable with a 3.5 mm jack, maybe this can improve the situation). I compared the DALI iO-12 through 3.5 in passive mode and indeed, they have a more natural timbre sound with good amplification;
- there is no possibility of a balanced wired connection (I would prefer a 4.4 mm pentacon jack in the earcup, instead of a 3.5 mm jack);
- the included wires have a bad effect on the sound quality (the wires have a microphone effect, any contact of the wire with clothing or another household item will transmit a rustling sound, like a lightning rod). The wires must be changed to the ones of better quality and flexibility.

connecting headphones via USB or Bluetooth (active connection), this is where the new firmware can improve something (the main thing here is not to spoil the sound!)
- bass button worsens sound quality (when this mode is activated, the overall detail of the sound and its timbral fidelity deteriorate, and low frequencies are also excessive). When activating the bass mode, I would like to add a little weight to the instruments and improve the sound quality of the lower register, for such musical genres as rock and electronic music. In general, the depth and clarity of the bass up to the infra should improve, without compromising the sound quality of the mids and high frequencies. These changes must be subtle. Yes, and the most important thing here is not to spoil the original sound quality that has already been achieved in the iO-12, and it is really impressive;
- improve the step for adjusting the volume level of buttons in applications (I don’t know whose side this is on, but on a computer in the Tidal or Qobuz applications the step for adjusting the volume is ± 2-3; in the Roon application (except for sound output via DSP ± 1) on the iPhone the step for adjusting the volume is ± 3; I would like the volume adjustment step in all applications to be ± 1). Now I sometimes have to adjust the sound in the applications themselves, and not through the buttons on the headphones.

comfort
- improve the ear pads, make them hybrid (combination of leather and fabric, fabric on the side adjacent to the head, example of Meze ear cushions, HifiMan, Final Audio). I’m already predicting that your ears and head will sweat from the full leather ear pads included in the set at an air temperature of +22 degrees and above.

ergonomics
- minimize the size of the case for storing (transporting) headphones; It’s not convenient for me to store headphones in a case, but a compact and durable case would be useful for transportation.

Conclusion
Overall, the Dali iO-12 audiophile Bluetooth headphones fully meet my selection criteria and use cases. They are already in my collection and I am very pleased with their main advantage - the ability to reproduce high-quality sound!
Despite my wishes to improve the Dali iO-12 Bluetooth headphones, for me personally, all these comments are not critical and I can easily live with it.
If your priorities or scenarios for using Bluetooth headphones coincide, turn your attention to the Dali iO-12. And of course, find the opportunity to listen to them in person.

On my own behalf, I would like to express special words of gratitude to everyone who participated in the creation of this unique product - audiophile Bluetooth headphones Dali iO-12!!!

* Of course, I admit that you can have a completely different experience using the Dali iO-12 Bluetooth headphones, and all of the above should be considered as the subjective opinion of one person and nothing more.

Maybe this will help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back