New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #661 of 1,073
Unfortunately I experience clicks & pops every so often in LL using Creative BT-W5 dongle.
I confirm, exact same issue here (also coupled with BT-W5 usb dongle), no issue in HQ
Currently using latest firmware of the BT-W5 :

1707602425144.png

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #662 of 1,073
Okay a lot has already been said but…the IO-12s have been simply excellent. Excellent with an E.

I had to debug an issue with Sony Walkman Player and playback to the Dalis via USB-C (tl;dr had to leave the Walkman ecosystem and move to UAPP), but ever since that, it’s been smooth sailing.

Like folks have said, comfort has been unmatched (this has always been a big deal cause I have large ears) , and I’m hearing my library (99% local FLAC) in a whole new way. At times I forget I have these on, cause I’m so busy vibing.

And isn’t that the purpose of this hobby in the first place? To really enjoy the music you listen to?

Build quality feels substantial, and the real leather is a must. I considered purchasing the Solitaire Ts instead of the Dalis and I don’t regret it. I definitely disagree with the assessment that the build quality is worse than the Solitaire Ts, to me it felt more solid in my hands than compared to the Ts. (T’s hinges felt creaky imo and the fake leather wasn’t comfy for me.)

The only con, (which is not a con really and I already queried Dali about) is the Active noise canceling really is middling at best. Passive + ANC on takes the bite out of things but it’s not good by any means. Will test on a plane next week.

Definitely my top purchase of the year so far.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #663 of 1,073
Lovin’ all the impressions and experiences of everybody!
I noticed two things:

- the passive mode is decent. I like it. It really reacts very well to different sources. I tried the BTR15, DX320 and straight out of macbook. It does take quite some juice and reflects the character of the source nicely. Really shows passive use was a consideration during the development.
- The DAC mode is actually noticeably better. I’ve owned the PX8 and the Bathys before, but there the DAC mode wasn’t that dramatic of an effect. Now whether that means the BT implementation of the Dali is worse, or their DAC implementation is better I don’t know. Just something I noticed.

Lastly: does anybody know what the little circular thingy in front of the driver is? Is it a mic for the ANC? Or perhaps a mic for active DSP?

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #666 of 1,073
Not running into any problems with video calling/audio or mic quality, it’s very clear on the Dalis.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #667 of 1,073
I decided to pick them up precisely because I’m going to do a lot of wired mode at home but also want the flexibility of Bluetooth on the go.
I saw the closeout-sale of the Hifiman HE-R10D + BT Mini module and decided to go with that option... Didn't even manage to get a chance to listen to any headphone I'm seriously interested in due to overwhelming business at home but I have good hopes I will like the sound of them, and the Hifiman HE-R10D is a wired headphone primarily with bluetooth as an clip-on dongle. No ANC, but I think that I will be fine with that. Not very convenient for outside use, and that'll be an issue for some of course, but again, not an issue for me personally. I just like the freedom of wireless usage at home combined with even better sound in passive mode when that freedom is not required.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #668 of 1,073
I saw the closeout-sale of the Hifiman HE-R10D + BT Mini module and decided to go with that option...

That will be an interesting comparison...
Wireless audio is on the rise, also in speakers...
In theory, any detachable cord headphone could get wireless adapters (some one stereo, others 2 mono).

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #670 of 1,073
Even in (very) noisy conditions?
I mean I haven’t tested it in like super noisy conditions, but I typically wouldn’t take work meetings in those environments. But normal zoom call during a workday was crystal clear. Call inside a moderately noisy restaurant was fine. Wasn’t a rock concert by any means though

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #671 of 1,073
Okay boys here’s where I’m at. I adore these headphones, they rock. Best ANC wireless cans, but I just can’t justify them being 600-800$ more than a B&W or even 300 more than 5909’s and so for that reason I think I’m gonna sell my pair. I’m outside the return window so my loss is your gain. I’ll throw up a listing later but if anyone wants to make me an offer feel free.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #672 of 1,073
I'am also returning my IO-12 officially.
It was a hard decision but since the IO-12 was probably the best bluetooth headphones when it comes to details retrieval and "light" bass (from what I read, and which is the contrary of what I feel), then I will wait a couple of some more years to finally have the buetooth headphones I'am looking for, since it does not exists for now.
The only thing I enjoyed with this IO-12 is the true passive 3,5mm input.
Unfortunately the sound is no more hifi once it comes to activate DSP (active mode).
Maybe it will be better with a firmware update (but I don't believe in this, so no more time wasted). As previously said, these headphones should not cost over 400/500€ for the sound it provides, I'd have no problem keeping them if they were in this price range, but they're clearly not worth the €1000 demanded in my eyes.
Back on my MSR7b.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #673 of 1,073
Okay boys here’s where I’m at. I adore these headphones, they rock. Best ANC wireless cans, but I just can’t justify them being 600-800$ more than a B&W or even 300 more than 5909’s and so for that reason I think I’m gonna sell my pair. I’m outside the return window so my loss is your gain. I’ll throw up a listing later but if anyone wants to make me an offer feel free.
Gah so sad, if I wasn’t traveling I’d snatch these in a heartbeat

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #674 of 1,073
I returning the Solitaire T two days ago (Monday) and I deciding keeping the iO-12, the same decision from 3 months ago. The reasons are exactly the same like 3 months ago. But this time, after 12 days of intensive testing (305 tracks total!), the results are this:

92 tracks --- ST preference
83 tracks --- iO-12 preference
130 tracks --- Tie (31 with small preference for ST; 44 with small preference for iO-12; 55 with no preference = complete tie for my taste)

If I giving 1 point for preference of one headphone, 1/2 point for a tie with small preference to one or the other headphone, and 0 points for complete tie (no preference at all), the total results are this:

107.5 points for the Solitaire T
105.0 points for the iO-12

Like I saying before, and using @Maukey's expression, the ST, for me and my taste in music, is literally winning in sound quality by "a hair". BUT this time is more clear for me in what music I hearing more differences when preferring one headphone or the other.

In rock (different types), pop, folk, ambient, electronica, 'alternative', 'experimental, 'world' and (very little) rap/hip hop, the ST is having a more clear advantage sonically, generally.

In classical music, orchestral music is usually clearly better with the iO-12, but with chamber music (my preference, in general when listening to classical music) and solo music (usually piano, violin or cello), this is more close to a tie between the two headphones.

With Jazz, with old not good recordings, the ST is winning clearly, but with well-recorded and mastered albums the iO-12 is winning very, very clearly.

My listening preferences are, more or less, this: 50% classical music, 35% rock (different types), pop, folk, ambient, electronica, 'alternative', 'experimental, 'world' music and (very little) rap/hip hop, and 15% jazz.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #675 of 1,073
I really quite liked the IO-12, but they didn't quite warranty a full 5-stars, read the review to find out why:

Dali IO-12 Full Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back