New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
Nov 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,036 of 1,401
  So, do I understand it right? SD2/SD3 cannot surpass full size cans like AKG K7@#  in details & width of sound stage. However, in IEMs class StageDivers are above average. 

It's an interesting challenge to compare iems and full size open back cans. I have recently wondered if everything inbetween is a compromise. Meaning though iems can have a more in the head feel they do mobile hi-end audio better imo than closed back portables which are often on ears and dont seal very well. 

I get equal enjoyment out of each tbh. It's been 6 months now I have sold my home rig and my hd650s have been boxed. With the stagedivers and a decent dac/amp you 
get a great experience which is awesome for travel and pretty enjoyable for at home too. 

ideally we need both though ha

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,037 of 1,401
Well, perhaps my question sounds awkwardly. I've recently lost almost $300 through purchase of cable for my AKG from Revelation Audio Lab, paid like into the black hole in the space & received nothing back, just sit with d@ck in hand and fake tracking number. I began to think that switching to IEMs could be a good idea, because I have no extra finance to waste into my AKG cans improvement again. 

Now, I came to conclusion that staying with full size headphones is better in my situation. If I hadn't had full size cans, I would've gone with IEMs, most likely it could be SD2. 
[size=13.3333330154419px]Thanks for a feedback. Definitely we do[/size]
Quote:
ideally we need both though ha

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,039 of 1,401

Faster bass and more sparkle than SD-2 sounds almost perfect for me!!! However budget is blown on a CE6P which I should be receiving in the next couple weeks (fingers crossed - too many train journeys around the holiday season so plenty of time to enjoy them!). Might be my next universal though as I don't have any universals at the moment. It will have to wait for more impressions and for the bank account to recover from iP6, X-T1, CE6P ....

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,040 of 1,401
Had the SD3 for a couple of weeks and sent them back. They are not worth the price given their performance. Much more accurate and revealing earphones can be bought for around the same and even less money. They are NOT the full custom sound in a universal shell that people proclaim they are. Disappointing is an understatement.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,042 of 1,401
  Had the SD3 for a couple of weeks and sent them back. They are not worth the price given their performance. Much more accurate and revealing earphones can be bought for around the same and even less money. They are NOT the full custom sound in a universal shell that people proclaim they are. Disappointing is an understatement.

Hmmm, really? In your profile I can see you have (had) quite some iems, so I take your opinion very serious.

I have the SD2 for some time now and can say that under €400 I haven't heard better SQ from another iem than from this one. The fit is also still the best from what I've ever tried till this moment. Although my (more expensive) V6S and RTi1 are getting more playtime nowadays, I just can't get to it to sell the SD2. I just like it too much...

I was on the fence for a SD3 in the past, but from what I've read there was too much bass in the signature for my taste...

Just curious, which iem under €400 from your list do you think gives best SQ?
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #1,043 of 1,401
Hey, first of all I just want to say my comments are not designed to upset anyone so if anyone reads them and gets annoyed I apologise. :)  I realise we all hear things differently so opinions are going to vary etc. :)

Just to clarify I tried the SD3s with a Sony ZX1, FiiO X5, MacBook Air, Denon MC6000 and OnePlus One Phone. They gave the same characteristics with all of those devices. They were 'fun' but not balanced or particularly detailed.

Earphones I have tried that I keep coming back to are the high end Westone range, Dunu D2000, Sennhesier IE80 and Ultimate Ear UE900s. Yes they all have their flaws but I feel they all give a more balanced and realistic representation with the sources I have. Of course they may vary wildly depending on what they are plugged in to so the above is just my experience so far.

I cannot fault the build quality etc. The SD3s are rock solid and have lovely cabling so they have that part right :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #1,045 of 1,401
  thanks for a feedback, now it's clear to me. I had decided not to migrate from full size cans to StageDivers 2/3, their ratio of SQ/$ wasn't convincing enough for me.

Yeah it just comes down to where you're doing most of your listening. For me having a home rig no longer makes sense as I now listen mostly on the train. 
So for now at least im going to continue to preference iems over headphones. But i do want to get a home rig again sometime. Im curious how planars will continue to change .. Audeze I believe may go down the route Oppo and Hifiman went with the single sided driver. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,046 of 1,401
I've just ordered a pair of SD4 from Thomann. Really hoping for a more refined sd2 with a bit more high end sparkle. Anyone have any ideas how these might sound??

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,047 of 1,401
I've just ordered a pair of SD4 from Thomann. Really hoping for a more refined sd2 with a bit more high end sparkle. Anyone have any ideas how these might sound??
Can you kindly share some impressions when you have them? I am also contemplating getting the SD4 but cannot find any reviews/impressions at this point. I currently have the SD3 and love them. Not sure whether it is worth getting the SD4 too.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,050 of 1,401
Well, I've got them now the sd4 that is. I've had a quick chance to compare them to the sd2 that I also have and really like.

I'll begin by saying that the sd4 bass is really really nice. I'm not a bass head but the bass goes very low, great sub bass much more than the sd2. The mid bass is also not too exaggerated like the sd3. Yes the sd4 is slightly warmer than the sd2 but nowhere near as much mid bass as the sd3. Because of this the bass Dose not bleed into the mids. The mids are very lush and slighty forward, not as forward as the sd2 though, vocals sound amazing quite intimate but not as in your face intimate as some other mid centric iems. So far so good..... Both the bass and mids are better than the sd2, they have great note thickness and sound more like a on ear than an in ear. Instrument separation is top notch as well as imaging. The sound stage is very wide and is much more 3d than the sd2 up and down and side to side rather than just the side to side of the sd2.

Now the bad. It seems it like inear just concentrated on the bass and mids and just left the highs as an after thought. The highs are not right at all, they are more sparkly than the sd2 and this is not such a bad thing as some say the highs on the sd2 are not very extended. They are definitely more extended on the sd4 but they are sssssibilant . And sound just off to me. Now don't panic as I've only tried the stock tips so far I've got some Ortofon tips at home that have a bigger bore so it may tame the highs a bit and reduce the ssssss and tttttttt. a bit. Funnily enough even though they are sibilant they are not particularly fatiguing so a bit of a paradox there.

I clearly need to give them some time and try some other tips. The are very promising and do a lot of things right. I'll get back to you when I've spent some more time with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back