New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #751 of 1,401

Well with customs you have the additional costs of getting impressions which can vary greatly, then you have to ship them out to whoever you choose (in your case jh or unique melody who both have at least 4-6 week wait times atm if not more)then there's the possibilty of refits which means resending them back and waiting again.  With regards to Heir they have a slightly iffy situation atm where the original designer has "left" so there could be changes to the design that doesn't match with what's been posted on headf with the older models.  You may also notice now the distinct lack of Heir threads recently which should tell you something.

If it's any consolation I'm no better making decisions like this.  Mind you since the announcement of the smaller size stagedivers I'm getting more interested again.  It's the buying blind that I don't like and in europe there's really no way of trying unless you buy.  Thomann at least allow you to return iems which is very unusual.

I'm thinking of changing my age old signature incidentally.  Should be "I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure" :)

I have always had those doubt when I first read about CIEMs , your comment just confirms that I should steer clear of this stuff as of now , especially considering CIEMs are still the new thing in my country , audiologists are all ppl working with deaf ppl , not experienced with audio gear at all .

As a fellow indecisive head-fier in this audio world , also a blind-buy guy , if you don't mind , I suggest you tell your other considerations , hopefully the time I spent reading hundreds of reviews might give you some helpful thoughts .... wow 2 blind-buy guys exchange purchasing advices to eachother , feel dangerous ? :))

Do you ? :))

As for your signature , I strongly urge you to change it immediately , this is not the first time I read your idea of changing sig , if memory serves me right , you also use exactly those same words , same sentences LOL :)))

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been planning on doing a pretty substantial writeup on the SD-2:s for quite some time now. The only thing that's putting me of is the simple fact that the only "proper" IEM I've ever tried is the Westone 4R (which didn't fit me for crap and plainly didn't work for me). If you would like i could post an "unofficial" writeup here in this thread and just unloading everything that i have found/know about the SD-2:s.

If it's any encouragement I'd be interested in the review as well. 

@skalkman

No rush though , just take your time and write when you feel like
Also , a little encouragement , dont know if you like this kind of music , just want to say

Add better quality MP3
http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/I+Love+You+Much+Too+Much/3EZncg?src=5

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #756 of 1,401
Got them in my ears right now, still trying to find the best tips as these apparently came only with one pair of small olives. The SD-1 also comes in a zip case, much more portable. 
First impression is that these are indeed bass light, so nothing for the Techno lover. Will post more with photos later.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #757 of 1,401
You might want to look in Ultrazino thread , I remember he showed how to properly insert it some where
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664229/review-inear-stagediver-series
Do you have any other IEM to compare with ?

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #759 of 1,401
Both of them are quite well-known , any comparison would certainly help
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #761 of 1,401
  I'll try to get to it tonight. If not, probably by tomorrow. I will post an extensive review sometime near the end of the week / mid next week.
beerchug.gif

If you are still struggling with fit then there's a video on youtube.  Do a search for stagediver 3 and it should come up.  It's about 1.33 in fwiw.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #762 of 1,401

If you are still struggling with fit then there's a video on youtube.  Do a search for stagediver 3 and it should come up.  It's about 1.33 in fwiw.

Got the right fit with double flanges on both sides now, the isolation is quite nice. 

Few short impressions as I continue to listen: As people would have guessed, the SD-1 doesn't have that much bass as the SD-2 due to a single driver. That doesn't mean that it has no bass at all though. It hits nicely and is tight but doesn't extend that deep. I would say, coming from Stax, the bass is somewhere around the SR-202s bass. If you're looking for a bit more rumble, you're probably better off with the SD-2. The whole sound signature is pretty linear and natural. 
Vocals on these are nothing short of amazing - lush, smooth and not even a single hint of sibilance. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #763 of 1,401
Hi,

I just bought the SD1 a couple of weeks ago on Thomann, I'm selling it already (210 Euro) but its an amazing IEM so if someone wants a good deal PM me they are also on ebay. A note on the bass, it did seem to open up after a week of intensive use to the point were tracks I listened again to seemed to have more bass later.. Maybe its just me but they seemed to have opened up a bit. Bass is present but its more in the background. Its really mid centric and focused on vocals. Its also extremely detailed, I could hear things in tracks like distant voices or a pick hammering a guitar string in a precise but natural way. female vocalist sound amazing. My only gripe is the sub-bass was not really there and I'm kinda of a bass guy. My go to in ear is usually the IE80 but after listening to the SD1 its hard to get the same amount of pleasure out of the thing because its not nearly as bright. I think the SD1 is amazing to the point that now I want to sell all my other sets and go for the SD3 because if the signature is close to the SD1 with more Bass its going to be the best IEM for me. They also have a cool sound-stage and I think good separation IMO...

Ej out

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #765 of 1,401
The SD-3 is an amazing monitor and to me it is my go to iem for EDM. I also have the 1plus2 and RTi1 which in their own right are amazing as well, 1plus2 being a great all rounder and the RTi1 for classical, vocals and acoustics BUT when it comes to EDM the sd-3 is untouchable, head and shoulders better. Bigger soundstage, 3D sounding and authorative low end. Not to mention that fit and isolation is amazing too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back