New Custom SinglePower Amp
Jan 24, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #47 of 67
I spent most of last night listening to my L3000s with a 6414 in the 1st gain stage with the 2nd gain stage disabled and 6528s as the output tubes. Just a wonderful combination, it had phenomenal bass authority, unmatched dynamics with resolution and transparency thats not usually associated with the L3k's. I really can't say enough about how amazing that tube combo sounded. Such an engaging and effortless sound.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent most of last night listening to my L3000s with a 6414 in the 1st gain stage with the 2nd gain stage disabled and 6528s as the output tubes. Just a wonderful combination, it had phenomenal bass authority, unmatched dynamics with resolution and transparency thats not usually associated with the L3k's. I really can't say enough about how amazing that tube combo sounded. Such an engaging and effortless sound.

Raytheon blackplate or GE grayplate 6414? Inquiring minds need to know.
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #52 of 67
Ooh....Super Extreme sure looks great!

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #53 of 67
What a sad thing......my Supra XLR is barely 3 months old and it's already out of date and "old news".
blink.gif
Sometimes I regret the day Google revealed this place to me!!

Congrats on the amp. Sounds like a killer!

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #54 of 67
tkam,
Quote:

Congrats! That amp looks amazing. I have similar experience with L3000 running out of my upgraded SDS-SE.

KenW,
Quote:

What a sad thing......my Supra XLR is barely 3 months old and it's already out of date and "old news". Sometimes I regret the day Google revealed this place to me!!

Congrats on the amp. Sounds like a killer!

Trust me that your amp probably sounds just as good or if not slightly better. You can always get your Supra an SDS treatment, blackgates, high voltage, and high bias. The combination of blackgates, 6BL7s, and 6414 is pure magic. I listened to the 18Ks SDS-XLR in single ended configuration before and my amp is more than 90% of that beast!!

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me that your amp probably sounds just as good or if not slightly better. You can always get your Supra an SDS treatment, blackgates, high voltage, and high bias. The combination of blackgates, 6BL7s, and 6414 is pure magic. I listened to the 18Ks SDS-XLR in single ended configuration before and my amp is more than 90% of that beast!!

Well, actually, my amp already has the high voltage and high bias and is configured thusly:

Supra XLR
Plitron
Goldpoint Attenuator
Vcap caps
Silver Wiring
Black Gate Capactiors Cathode
Black Gate Output capacitors
Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage 2
2 XLR inputs and 2 RCA
Headphone out: 1 balanced and 1 S/E

Btw, I also purchased the Kenrad, Hytron Tube sets but the 6BL7s + 6414 is my favorite combo. Just all this talk of Extremes and Platinums gives me a bad case of envy I guess.

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually, my amp already has the high voltage and high bias and is configured thusly:

Supra XLR
Plitron
Goldpoint Attenuator
Vcap caps
Silver Wiring
2 XLR inputs and 2 RCA

Btw, I also purchased the Kenrad, Hytron Tube sets but the 6BL7s + 6414 is my favorite combo. Just all this talk of Extremes and Platinums gives me a bad case of envy I guess.

There is a reason so many people own so many SP amps in different price ranges. They all have something to offer.
That said, When it comes to headphone amplification....Your there.
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a reason so many people own so many SP amps in different price ranges. They all have something to offer.
That said, When it comes to headphone amplification....Your there.
icon10.gif

Even though I am beginning to think the Extreme's are likely the best overall SP amps yet .... I still like the sound of the 5687 amps. My humble stock MPX3 fitted with 5687 adapters and hooked up to Alessandro MS2's sounds fantastic.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #59 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, congrats on receiving such a beautiful amp. How long did it take Mikhail to build this amp?

Awhile
wink.gif
. Original order date was in the middle of October I think. Really could have been worse considering it's a new design from the ground up.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Supra XLR
Plitron
Goldpoint Attenuator
Vcap caps
Silver Wiring
2 XLR inputs and 2 RCA

Btw, I also purchased the Kenrad, Hytron Tube sets but the 6BL7s + 6414 is my favorite combo. Just all this talk of Extremes and Platinums gives me a bad case of envy I guess

That is an impressive list of upgrade!! Many of us should be jealous of your amp then.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nothing to be worried about really.

Tkam,
Did you get Mikhail to specially tune this amp for the L3000? Have you listened to the amp using higher impedance headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back