New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #544 of 4,065
I finally got a chance to briefly audition the whole line of CustomArt demos. Unfortunately, I can't really say much about the Pro330, because I think there's a slight problem with the demo unit. They didn't have the Music Two demo, either, so I can't comment on that.

However, I did very much enjoy the sound of both the Music One and the Pro210.

The Music One is quite impressive for a single-driver model; I dare say that, for music listening and enjoyment, the Music One is far more enjoyable than the Pro100 (that I have) because of how much more dynamic and alive it feels. There's a bit of residual bass decay that makes bass feel tactile and layered, while the Pro100's bass is very measured and conservative. Same with the rest of the spectrum; the Music One has more treble presence, but isn't harsh. Transparency feels about the same on both models, though I've only ever heard the fully-custom Pro100, while the Music One is a demo, so the Pro100 may have an advantage. Details feel slightly more "overt" on the Music One, however.

Moving over to the Pro210, it's definitely a different beast from the Music One. From my previous conversations with Peter, I knew I'd like the Pro210 quite a bit, but it really, really impressed me. It's definitely a professional monitor through and through, but a very transparent one, with imaging, spaciousness, and presence that few monitors have. It's open, transparent, and relaxed, but speedy as well, and imaging is very precise. To me, soundstage feels bigger than the Music One's. I don't find the bass lacking, either, though maybe others might. It's tight and speedy, and and keep up with the best of them, without sounding overly etched. There is the slightest hint of midrange warmth that's very pleasant. If I had to make one criticism, it's that the Pro210 sometimes has the tendency to sound a tiny bit nasal, as though the upper midrange were slightly unnatural. At the same time, however, it has a special feeling of transparency that sort of reminds me of the ER4, though the two aren't quite the same. There are still other models that sound more like the ER4, though; the Pro210 isn't designed to emulate the ER4 sound. However, the Pro210 is all about the mids, and all about imaging and transparency. I had my heart set on the Music Two, but the Pro210 is kind of pulling me back... at this point, however, the Music Two will probably still prevail, overall. I'd definitely recommend people get the Pro210 for studio vocal monitoring, however. It seems truly superb for that purpose.

As I mentioned, there might be a slight driver or acoustical path issue with the demo unit of the Pro330 I had, because even with significant fiddling, I couldn't get it to sound all that great. It had good detail articulation, that I could tell, but the highs and lows felt a bit disjointed to me. Again, music wasn't being presented correctly, so I have a feeling there's a issue with the unit.

Overall, unfortunately, the demo units aren't as easy to get along with as acrylic demos, partly because of the thin tubes and the steep insertion angle --- silicone just isn't made for demo use, it seems, but it's nice that Peter has made them for dealers, otherwise I would not have been able to hear these other models.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #545 of 4,065
Thanks Tom for chiming in.

Demo Pro210 does sound a bit different then custom version Demo tends to be slightly too warm compared to the custom.
As for Pro330v2 I know that there's some issue with it and Jack will be sending it back soon for repair. Hope you'll be able to say something more about it when it get back to JM+

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #546 of 4,065
Just wondering, do the silicon iems attract dust? As in the particles will stick to the ciems making it harder to clean? Thank you.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #549 of 4,065
i am rather excited to hear SQD tech from hong kong will have demo available
can't wait to try other models from custom art, and compare them one by one
and it is definitely a good news for all hong kong head-fier's 
since there are no other silicone ciem demo available in hong kong.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #551 of 4,065
  Any news with the harmony redesign? or are you waiting for Sonion until february?

I'm waiting for samples of drivers I need to redesign and maybe Sonion's release - both things I guess. Let's see who will be faster :D
Plus a little bit of spare time which seems to be non-existent lately :) which is of course good thing

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #553 of 4,065
I have a question regarding the Music Two. In average_joe's review of Music One:
 While the Music One isn’t slow, it doesn’t have the dynamics and impact of a faster presentation of many of the more analytical presentations I have heard, although all at higher price points.  Complex tracks can become a bit more simplistic that more expensive products, but at least they don’t really get congested.

I'm wondering if speed/note decay is improved in the Music Two?

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #554 of 4,065
  I have a question regarding the Music Two. In average_joe's review of Music One:
I'm wondering if speed/note decay is improved in the Music Two?

It is improved in general but note decay is definitely longer than Music One. Improvement is noticeable in texture, depth, and quantity but it's not that kind of bass that hits and disappears. It's more fun, more relaxed type of bass.
If you're looking for super-fast transients you should consider Pro210

Users who are viewing this thread

Back