New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,916 of 4,065
Just got my Ei.3 back as universals and I think they are very well done! Unfortunately missing a set of tips, but as usual the guys at Custom Art had it sorted in 6.53 seconds flat. :wink: Tried them with some old Spinfits, which is not ideal, but did give me a good feel for them and the universal design is really good!

Ei3_U.JPG

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,918 of 4,065
How do the universals feel compared to other iems in terms of fit?
They feel very familiar when compared to my Shure se215, which I have always considered very comfortable. The Ei.3 are slightly larger and shaped a bit more ergonomically. That makes them easier to put in and even a bit more comfortable.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,919 of 4,065
Just got my Ei.3 back as universals and I think they are very well done! Unfortunately missing a set of tips, but as usual the guys at Custom Art had it sorted in 6.53 seconds flat. :wink: Tried them with some old Spinfits, which is not ideal, but did give me a good feel for them and the universal design is really good!

I'm glad you can rock out to them again!

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #3,922 of 4,065
Hello guys!

Some weeks ago I did receive my 8.2 pro's and I'd like to share my thoughts on em with you.
Since I am no native speaker be gentle with me :)

History:

Before I did purchase the 8.2 Pro's I did test a good amount of IEM's like the Noble Audio Katana, Kaiser, DUNU DN-2000J, DUNU DN-2002, Shure 846, ... Those were all universals and no matter which one with which tip I tested, I did not get a good hold and seal with em. It did always feel like a disturbing foreign matter. This was the point I decided to go purchase my first CIEM's and the cost/performance ratio of the Harmonies were excellent when I demoed the universal version of em.

Ordering proccess:

I think anyone can agree that the contact with Piotr and Kamil is a pleasure. They reply within hours and are friendly all the time. After 9 weeks of waiting time for my Harmonies I really got impatient and tortured em with questions when my CIEMs will be finished but they always kept cool and friendly, thanks for that.
The online designing tool is really well made and did not leave open questions, well done guys! What I like to mention is, that I did buy a used pair of Harmony 8.0 pro via Head-Fi and upgraded em to 8.2 Pro's. The final cost of round about 850 EUR was totally bearable for me.

The delivery & build quality:

The CIEM's did arrive well packed but I have to admit that I was a bit dissappointed. I did buy a used pair, yes, but I would have excpected at least a new cleaning tool. The one was also used and really dirty from the pre-owner. I felt absolutely disgusted and threw it away instantly. Second critisim I have to make is the build quality of the CIEM. Below my review I'll add two Pictures. The one showing the bad finish on the borders were the CIEM is glued together, the other shows the faceplate were is a part of a motive visible I did not order. I dont know wheter the old faceplate of the pre-owner was used and overcoloured or a missing QC kicked in, but I didnt expect that.

The sound:

Of course the most crucial part of my short review. I am not a review writer like many others here @ the forum and neither can describe the technical performance in fancy words, nor can I compare the 8.2's to 100 of other flagship models which are available at the market. So why did I decide to go for TheCustomArt? It is pretty easy described: I am pretty sensitive for treble and was looking for a CIEM with which I can listen to music for hours without getting tired from it. I did find it exhausting to listen to e.g. the noble line-up for longer than 1 hour, especially the Katana. And I always felt like I was analysing the sound more than I was enjoying it. The Harmonies were the first and only IEM's I did not do it with. I just listen to em, enjoy the music and relax, and isn't that why we are buying IEMs?

Summary:

Despite the - let's call it - questionable build quality of my left CIEM I can and want to fully recommend the 8.2's to people who are a bit treble senstive and just wanna relax with and enjoy their music. I did NOT contact Piotr or Kamil about the "problem" with my left CIEM, because I absolutely can live with it. I am 100 % sure they would figure out a way to quickly solve the issue!

I mainly listen to rock music and combined the the 8.2's with an Questyle QP1R which IMHO is a really nice pairing.

This short review is my honest opinion. I did pay the full price for the IEM's.

faceplate.jpg

glue.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #3,923 of 4,065
First of all thank you for your feedback an bringing my attention to some QC details.
The CIEM's did arrive well packed but I have to admit that I was a bit dissappointed. I did buy a used pair, yes, but I would have excpected at least a new cleaning tool. The one was also used and really dirty from the pre-owner. I felt absolutely disgusted and threw it away instantly. Second critisim I have to make is the build quality of the CIEM. Below my review I'll add two Pictures. The one showing the bad finish on the borders were the CIEM is glued together, the other shows the faceplate were is a part of a motive visible I did not order. I dont know wheter the old faceplate of the pre-owner was used and overcoloured or a missing QC kicked in, but I didnt expect that.
Starting from the first complaint - ownership transfer is a service not a product, in that sense you get new IEMs remodled to your ears but we have no power over what you buy from original seller of the second hand monitor, we don't exchange any accessories, boxes etc.
As for the second complaint I agree that the print line could have been better done, on the other hand when we print graphics with dark background there will be always visible line of white foil we use for printing.
he other shows the faceplate were is a part of a motive visible I did not order. I dont know wheter the old faceplate of the pre-owner was used and overcoloured
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The graphic was made according to your order. We don't reuse any parts from previous IEMs except for the speakers which are strictly measured during the production and replaced if needed.

If you are unhappy with the finish I will be glad to take them back and rework the plate.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #3,924 of 4,065
[deleted]

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #3,925 of 4,065
Hi @MXRaia

I disagree since it's completely on the buyer to know what his used unit includes as well as the condition of each accessory, prior to buying - if anything should be done I think a bold disclaimer on the ownership transfer page highlighting what you bought is what you get is more than sufficient.

@piotrus-g could ask each customer if they'd like to purchase other accessories but some may interpret that as being greedy or stingy for not willing to include some more goodies.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,926 of 4,065
[deleted]

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #3,928 of 4,065
Hey
@Aleatorius
, you make reasonable and fair points, but the recent issue is that someone just received a cleaning tool with earwax on it. Let's say @TAsme knew from the seller that he was getting the 8.2, a Peli case, a desiccant pack, and a cleaning tool. Is it his fault that he got more than he asked for when he got extra crust too? Could that unpleasant experience have been prevented by a quick check and a message from Custom Art? Maybe it's not Custom Art's obligation to take inventory, but I do think that taking even a moment to show attention to detail and concern for the customer can go a long way.

Piotr doesn't have to explicitly ask if a customer would like to buy accessories, because that can look greedy or stingy or pressuring. But Piotr can mention or reiterate what accessories he received from the seller, so the customer can make an informed choice on whether to spend a little more for a better unboxing experience. if someone sees earwax on their cleaning tool, then Piotr and co. look indifferent, and that's not something that should be said about a company that takes pride in having personal relationships with its customers.

With regard to what I have in bold first - it's the responsibility of the seller first to explain exactly what he's selling and the condition of each item either via a photo or text and the buyer second to make sure he's aware of anything that might not be to his satisfaction, this "unpleasant experience" could have been prevented from the very beginning and I'm seeing this situation as simply passing along the blame.

I can agree with the second point although I think the buyer should be the one asking to make sure they weren't deprived of something that should have been included, but backtracking to what I mentioned above and speaking from personal experiences, I purchased a used set and made sure I knew what I was buying as well as the condition beforehand so I could then purchase what I needed.

Honestly the only thing I find fault with is the QC of the IEM itself and while I rarely see any such issues from CA it is concerning although a bit tamer than what I've seen from other companies.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #3,929 of 4,065
[deleted]

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,930 of 4,065
I know I'm risking my Ei.xx reshell being delayed because of this kind of post, but I'm only discussing this because I really do want Custom Art to succeed and be even better :) No hard feelings if anyone out there is reading this.
Enough already! Before, you were simply obnoxious, but now, you're accusing of something which would be very bad to do, which they haven't done, which you have no proof they would do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back