New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3,886 of 4,065
I just got the news that my ear impressions arrived. Despite my very narrow ear canal they will try to make me an acrylic FIBAE2 ... now I just need to finalize the design and actually place the order

Soon I will (hopefully) have the first IEMs that actually fit me

===========

EDIT: Just placed the official order ...
black transparent with canals in blue and red, faceplates in black icewood with silver inverted logo, recessed 2-pin sockets, black cable

9934068_l.png

(simulated image from the CustomArt configuration tool)
Very nice. Always liked the icewood, but always chickened out of choosing it. Maybe next time.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,888 of 4,065
Hey guys -- thinking about my second pair of CIEM's. I have a Westone 3 reshelled as my first pair. For reference, I think my Westone 3's bass is leaning on a little too much, but I also have an AKG K701 and I think the bass is too little on that.

I'm in the price range of 500-800 USD, and want something with a open soundstage. What CIEM from custom art do you guys recommend? And is there any discount for people from head-fi :)

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,889 of 4,065
Hey guys -- thinking about my second pair of CIEM's. I have a Westone 3 reshelled as my first pair. For reference, I think my Westone 3's bass is leaning on a little too much, but I also have an AKG K701 and I think the bass is too little on that.

I'm in the price range of 500-800 USD, and want something with a open soundstage. What CIEM from custom art do you guys recommend? And is there any discount for people from head-fi :)

I think the Pro330v2 would suit your needs well. The FIBAE 2 is also a great option, though I reckon it's more fun and energetic than the Pro330v2. It depends whether you'd prefer a more laidback signature, or a more upfront one. Regardless, both are open-sounding and airy IEMs, though not overbearingly so.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #3,890 of 4,065
I think the Pro330v2 would suit your needs well. The FIBAE 2 is also a great option, though I reckon it's more fun and energetic than the Pro330v2. It depends whether you'd prefer a more laidback signature, or a more upfront one. Regardless, both are open-sounding and airy IEMs, though not overbearingly so.

What is your take on the difference between the Ei.3 and Pro330v2?

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #3,891 of 4,065
What is your take on the difference between the Ei.3 and Pro330v2?

I find the Ei.3 to be much bassier than the Pro330v2. If I remember correctly, the Ei.3 is also not as technically strong as the Pro330v2; the latter has more clarity, and more coherent imaging, due to its more detailed and prominent treble.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,896 of 4,065
Been listening for some time, trying different tips. Good seal with the doubles, but a bit hurting on the right ear

So far everything sounds amazing. The details are pretty mind blowing especially that these are the universals.

What I was most impressed by was:
The Unthanks: Mount the air
The Avener: Panama
Radiohead: Identikit
James Vincent McMorrow: We don't eat - mostly to listen to how clear the voice is sounding; but I do like the guy
Gregory Alan Isakov - Stable song

Anything I threw at them sounded really good

Will continue to listen to them in the following days and add more feedback here

These are by far the best sounding headphones I listened to. They are more detailed and fun than my last setup (schiit modi 2 uber + magni 2 uber - k7xx) coming directly from the iPhone.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,897 of 4,065
Been listening for some time, trying different tips. Good seal with the doubles, but a bit hurting on the right ear

So far everything sounds amazing. The details are pretty mind blowing especially that these are the universals.

James Vincent McMorrow: We don't eat - mostly to listen to how clear the voice is sounding

Will continue to listen to them in the following days and give more details.

These are by far the best sounding headphones I listened to. They are more detailed and fun than my last setup (schiit modi 2 uber + magni 2 uber - k7xx) coming directly from the iPhone.

Oh man...I was already impressed by your Fibae design, but now also by your musical (Radiohead / McMorrow / Isakov) taste :)
Happy listening!!!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3,898 of 4,065

James Vincent McMorrow: We don't eat - mostly to listen to how clear the voice is sounding

Will continue to listen to them in the following days and give more details.

Nice. I've got a set of music two's incoming in a few weeks time, looking forward to having them back. What sort of tips have been included? Maybe try spinfits if they fit the nozzle? How's the isolation on the universals (though I know that is dependent on seal)?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,899 of 4,065
Talked to Piotr a bit and if I get a good fit (which I did) with dual flanges then it's perfect (they were designed with that).

@Kerouac dude I'm your biggest fan haha :) These are the universals, I still haven't decided on the design (mostly between something like the last one posted on facebook or Anime inspired one - Avatar most likely). I listen to a LOT of stuff in general and apparently Spotify is on to my taste better and better - machine learning at its finest hehe

Just to emphasize again, Piotr has a LOT of patience, we reached 7 pages of private messages until I ordered with no design yet.

@davidcotton I almost got the Music Twos too, but really wanted something to take with me anywhere and not worry if my source was good or not; plus they were newer and all that and also managed to sell my previous setup with a decent price

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #3,900 of 4,065

James Vincent McMorrow: We don't eat - mostly to listen to how clear the voice is sounding; but I do like the guy

Will continue to listen to them in the following days and add more feedback here

With my Ei.3 I really liked how Madeleine Peyroux and Agnes Obel sounded, as well as 'Blue and Lonesome' (album) by the Rolling Stones. I felt they did really well with acoustic music.

That said, I am eagerly awaiting my Ei.3 to come back, probably later today, and listen to 'Dido & Aeneas'. It is opera, so not to everyone's taste, but the voice of Elin Manahan Thomas is angelic. She sings the part of Belinda in the version I have, but I hope to get a version where she sings the part of Dido, as her voice singing Dido's lament is hauntingly beautiful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back