New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Apr 18, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,736 of 4,065
Pre-orders are up on his site! Be sure to use the coupon code listed on the customization page. Ordered a FIBAE1. Was surprised the 20 pre-order item limit didn't run out already.

May 3, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,739 of 4,065
I just saw this beauty:

IMG_6309.jpg

Found here: https://thecustomart.com/gallery/#jp-carousel-2051

Oh my lord! What an awesome face plate, that's pure art! Who ever is the owner, his Anime taste is great. That must be Kaori and Kousei from one of the most beatiful anime Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso!!! I'm so jealous now, time for a re-shell of my Harmony 8.2 and Tora, haha:innocent:

May 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,740 of 4,065
Oh my lord! What an awesome face plate, that's pure art! Who ever is the owner, his Anime taste is great. That must be Kaori and Kousei from one of the most beatiful anime Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso!!! I'm so jealous now, time for a re-shell of my Harmony 8.2 and Tora, haha:innocent:
Yes, those are really beautiful! I thought about going full colour on my Ei.3, but decided to keep the custom artwork more simple. If, however, I would get new CIEMs (would love the 8.2!) I already have a great, utterly hilarious full colour design in mind, although not anime.

May 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,741 of 4,065
Hi everyone, long time lurker here looking to get into my first set of ciems, could use some help.

First, a little about me: I'm a musician hobbyist (bass guitar, Chapman stick, double bass), but work in IT during the day. I plan on having these in a LOT, so at first I was planning on silicone for comfort, but I'm worried about durability (I'll admit at times I could be more careful).

I'm not a bass head per se, but I given the instruments I play, I focus on the low and low mid end of the spectrum. I currently have a pair of shure se215 iems as my go tos, previously I used etymotic er4p, but I find they are lacking in low end (ad I could never get the fit very well). The se215s sound decent, but the high end is lacking, and the overall sound leaves something to be desired. Still, I don't mind them, just don't love them. I do enjoy the low end when paired with an amp (I had a fiio e7 e9 combo but the e9 flaked out recently).

Ive been looking at the ei.3s quite a bit as I think I will like them more than the music twos, but now I'm struggling with the fibae2 being released. Price on the fibae2s are a bit more than I wanted to spend, but honestly not a huge deal if they're a decent upgrade from the ei.3.

I'm planning on buying a new source for them as well, possibly the fiio x5iii, but if anyone has any thoughts on pairing with either ei.3 or fibae2, I'm open to ideas (spotify is a need for me, however).

Anyway, that is the big debate. I'm also in tokyo on my honeymoon right now, heading to e-earphone tomorrow. Any suggestions on similar sounding universal iems that I could try to get the general overall sound of either the ei.3 or fibae2?

Sorry for being long winded, big step for me!

Thanks!

Paul

Edit: not sure if I should post this in help and recommendations section instead? Figured since this is mainly about CA id post here, but if I should relocate, let me know!

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #3,742 of 4,065
Hi everyone, long time lurker here looking to get into my first set of ciems, could use some help.

First, a little about me: I'm a musician hobbyist (bass guitar, Chapman stick, double bass), but work in IT during the day. I plan on having these in a LOT, so at first I was planning on silicone for comfort, but I'm worried about durability (I'll admit at times I could be more careful).

I'm not a bass head per se, but I given the instruments I play, I focus on the low and low mid end of the spectrum. I currently have a pair of shure se215 iems as my go tos, previously I used etymotic er4p, but I find they are lacking in low end (ad I could never get the fit very well). The se215s sound decent, but the high end is lacking, and the overall sound leaves something to be desired. Still, I don't mind them, just don't love them. I do enjoy the low end when paired with an amp (I had a fiio e7 e9 combo but the e9 flaked out recently).

Ive been looking at the ei.3s quite a bit as I think I will like them more than the music twos, but now I'm struggling with the fibae2 being released. Price on the fibae2s are a bit more than I wanted to spend, but honestly not a huge deal if they're a decent upgrade from the ei.3.

I'm planning on buying a new source for them as well, possibly the fiio x5iii, but if anyone has any thoughts on pairing with either ei.3 or fibae2, I'm open to ideas (spotify is a need for me, however).

Anyway, that is the big debate. I'm also in tokyo on my honeymoon right now, heading to e-earphone tomorrow. Any suggestions on similar sounding universal iems that I could try to get the general overall sound of either the ei.3 or fibae2?

Thanks!

Paul

Edit: not sure if I should post this in help and recommendations section instead? Figured since this is mainly about CA id post here, but if I should relocate, let me know!

Hi there Paul!

If you're looking for both great low-end performance and clarity, I'd really suggest getting the FIBAE 2. Its bass is super fun yet perfectly linear with the rest of the signature, and its mid-and-treble tuning allows it to be brilliantly open, sparkly, and lively. E-earphone should have demos of both the Ei.3 and the Music Two from Custom Art. Keep in mind, the FIBAE 2 and the Music Two are very similar midrange and up, though the FIBAE 2 is significantly bassier; filling in the bottom where the Music Two lacks.

Hope this helps!

May 6, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #3,743 of 4,065

Thanks!

Paul

I have the Ei.3 and I love them to bits, but that is also because of the polite high end. I also have the Shure se215 and I have never been able to deal with the sharp and (to my ears) sibilant treble, I always have to eq that down. That might be a really good reason to demo whatever you want to consider.

I will point out that the Ei.3 sounds very natural and reproduces instruments very realistically. To me this makes the high end also sound more realistic than the se215. Only when it pushes very high do I sense some loss of realism, which might be because of the Ei.3's early roll-off, but I think within the price range it is still very good in terms of realism.

Another thing that you can consider is simply changing the cable after you have had them for a while. I had some issues with the memory wire of the stock cable and switched to a silver-plated copper and that gave a larger soundstage and more distinct, but still smooth highs. I love it and the overall smooth and natural signature. Custom Art works with Effect Audio, so Piotr can help you pick a cable to fine-tune the signature.

If you demo the Ei.3 and FIBAE-2 and feel they are too smooth because of Custom Art's house sound, then I would suggest trying out Noble. I tried the Noble line back-to-back with the Ei.3 and those are more analytical. The entry-level Trident I felt was like the se215 on steroids, but they were far too fatiguing for me. Especially the highs were very prominent. I think those might be worth a demo if Custom Art is too smooth, but be prepared to pay a lot more for a CIEM. I honestly have not found anything close to the value for money of the Ei.3.

I hope this helps! And keep in mind that these are merely my own experiences, so very subjective.

ps. Congratulations and enjoy the honeymoon!

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #3,744 of 4,065

Thanks!

Paul

Hey! Thanks for interest in our products.

My suggestion would be to just viist e-earphone, they have demos including FIBAE1 and 2.

Most of our customers who have/had SE215 went for Ei.3 as they liked them the most. On the other hand FIBAE2 is like a middle ground between Music Two and Ei.3 so the signature might fit those who like SE215 as well.

May 6, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,745 of 4,065
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses.

So I went there yesterday instead of today, though I didn't have as much time as I wanted. Tried several iems from several companies. I didn't see the fibae 1 or 2 anywhere, but I might go back tomorrow evening ad see if I can find them.

I've determined I'm not a huge fan of 5+ driver iems as they just stick out too far from the ears. I tried the jhaudio 16v2s and they just felt too bulky. Fit didn't seem very good either.

I should've tried the music twos but didn't get a chance to. That said I did try the ei.3 twice and really liked it. Westone w60 (I think? I should've taken better notes) I liked as well.

I was just trying them with my phone (droid turbo 2) with some tracks off of tidal hifi, and really liked the ei.3. Wish I would've had more time, the wife was getting bored :D.

Hopefully I can go try the fibae2 if I get a chance to go back. Is there any place in the states that would carry CA products?

Also, I tried my se215s with a cowon plenue2, and the difference vs my phone was pretty stark. Gotta do some more research on this, but if I were to get a player like the fiiox5iii, do you think I would need any extra amp to power iems like the ei.3 or fibae2, or would the onboard power do just fine?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Paul

May 7, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #3,746 of 4,065
Also, I tried my se215s with a cowon plenue2, and the difference vs my phone was pretty stark.
The se215 certainly benefit from a bit more power. I was quite surprised at the difference between my Sony A15 and AK70.
Gotta do some more research on this, but if I were to get a player like the fiiox5iii, do you think I would need any extra amp to power iems like the ei.3 or fibae2, or would the onboard power do just fine?
The X5III will drive the Ei.3 just fine and the FIBAE (Flat Impedance Balanced Armature Earphone) is developed specifically to work optimally with any DAP, so that should be fine as well.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,747 of 4,065
The se215 certainly benefit from a bit more power. I was quite surprised at the difference between my Sony A15 and AK70.

The X5III will drive the Ei.3 just fine and the FIBAE (Flat Impedance Balanced Armature Earphone) is developed specifically to work optimally with any DAP, so that should be fine as well.

Does the H8.2's crossover work in a similar manner to the fibae? I remember reading somewhere about the 8.2's impedance remaining constant or something

May 8, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #3,748 of 4,065
Does the H8.2's crossover work in a similar manner to the fibae? I remember reading somewhere about the 8.2's impedance remaining constant or something
I honestly have no idea. I don't have a lot of technical understanding and just knew about FIBAE because I read up on it for my Ei.3 review.

May 8, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,750 of 4,065
No, FIBAE is completely different technology/solution that is unique to FIBAE line up.
8.2 impedance curve is just an effect of careful crossover/driver matching, it's not flat if you compare it to FIBAE designs which have like +-0.5 Ohm impedance swing across whole frequency, but it's still relatively flat if you compare it to other (even our own) IEMs. The general Harmony 8.2 impedance plot is +-5 Ohms across whole frequency

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back