New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Oct 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,636 of 4,065
Simple initial impression of my new custom tuned monitor by CustomArt

Design & Build Quality: I couldn't decide on a design this time round so I leave it up to Peter. My only request is to have transparent body, and Peter suggested a wooden faceplate and showed me some of his past wooden faceplate creations. Expectation towards the design was there but I wasn't expecting too much. When I first saw it, I was amazed and more than satisfied. This is my definition of STATE OF THE ART! The wooden faceplate + transparent clear body looks really really sleek and pretty in real life. Build quality was also much improved, surface was smooth unlike my music two which has slight significant roughness.

Brief impression:
- High resolution and analytical, notes that sounded slightly soft on my previous few iems were more obvious now.
- Deep soundstage with great layering of details, also relatively spacious at the same time to substantially create the 3d effect.
- Bass and highs are usually not dominant unless called upon. Fast and accurate bass which can go deep and low too but impact of bass might not rumble excessively or as much as other iem/ciem with multiple bass drivers. When the highs are required, it have enough power to drive the notes to be essentially bright and smooth. But I find it to be slightly lacking in the lower highs, causing it to take a step back on the overall clarity.
- Mids are not too forward and relatively realistic, allowing it to blend well with the bass, thus creating a rather neutral signature with a slight tint of warmth
- From my memory of the sound impression of SE 5-Way, this really sounded quite similar with a slightly warm (but not too much) sound signature but there's less clarity and a slightly narrower soundstage.

Note: As I'm rather new to this audiophile field, my description of how I perceived the sound signature to be could be slightly limited. Nonetheless, I'm trying to expose myself to more iems/ciems so that I can better represent and describe the sound signature more accurately and has a more resounding review in the future.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,637 of 4,065

Design & Build Quality: I couldn't decide on a design this time round so I leave it up to Peter. My only request is to have transparent body, and Peter suggested a wooden faceplate and showed me some of his past wooden faceplate creations. Expectation towards the design was there but I wasn't expecting too much. When I first saw it, I was amazed and more than satisfied. This is my definition of STATE OF THE ART! The wooden faceplate + transparent clear body looks really really sleek and pretty in real life. Build quality was also much improved, surface was smooth unlike my music two which has slight significant roughness.

Brief impression:
- High resolution and analytical, notes that sounded slightly soft on my previous few iems were more obvious now.
- Deep soundstage with great layering of details, also relatively spacious at the same time to substantially create the 3d effect.
- Bass and highs are usually not dominant unless called upon. Fast and accurate bass which can go deep and low too but impact of bass might not rumble excessively or as much as other iem/ciem with multiple bass drivers. When the highs are required, it have enough power to drive the notes to be essentially bright and smooth. But I find it to be slightly lacking in the lower highs, causing it to take a step back on the overall clarity.
- Mids are not too forward and relatively realistic, allowing it to blend well with the bass, thus creating a rather neutral signature with a slight tint of warmth
- From my memory of the sound impression of SE 5-Way, this really sounded quite similar with a slightly warm (but not too much) sound signature but there's less clarity and a slightly narrower soundstage.

Note: As I'm rather new to this audiophile field, my description of how I perceived the sound signature to be could be slightly limited. Nonetheless, I'm trying to expose myself to more iems/ciems so that I can better represent and describe the sound signature more accurately and has a more resounding review in the future.

Thanks for this mini-review

Basically It's very similar in frequency response to SE5way - the same peaks and deeps (are at least in very similar pattern) and because the most essential drivers (with the same crossover points) from SE5w were used it also produces similar overall signature and atmosphere of sound.

Overall the whole project was fun, especially the look part :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,641 of 4,065

due to some unfortunate reasons, i lost my ak120. so now currently running straight from either my macbook pro or note2.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure you can replace it with a new and/different source and find one which will be a good pair with your Custom Art personal monitor :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,642 of 4,065

Brief impression:

Great looking CIEM. Congratulations.

Peter, thumbs up, another great looking and sounding CIEM. You are rocking man
biggrin.gif

Re. first bolded part - I assume that Peter put only one BK driver instead of two which are used ihn 5ways. If I'm correct that may result in not much bass rumble;

Re. second bolded part - since Peter is saying that your CIEM share similar peaks and dips with 5ways I assume that you have typical 5-8kHz dip which is the cause of this lower clarity;

Re. third bolded part - if my assumption about BK drivers is correct then not so big headrom may be the result of use of just BK drivers and not two as in 5ways (IMO 5ways soundstage isn't narrower at all).

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #1,645 of 4,065

Great looking CIEM. Congratulations.

Peter, thumbs up, another great looking and sounding CIEM. You are rocking man
biggrin.gif

Re. first bolded part - I assume that Peter put only one BK driver instead of two which are used ihn 5ways. If I'm correct that may result in not much bass rumble;

Re. second bolded part - since Peter is saying that your CIEM share similar peaks and dips with 5ways I assume that you have typical 5-8kHz dip which is the cause of this lower clarity;

Re. third bolded part - if my assumption about BK drivers is correct then not so big headrom may be the result of use of just BK drivers and not two as in 5ways (IMO 5ways soundstage isn't narrower at all).

thanks for the clarification. but just to clarify i'm not complaining or what. just stating my impression. and the fact that this custom tuned monitor has only 3 drivers, the sound quality and quantity it delivered is definitely remarkable and very much exceeded my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back