New - Cowon Plenue S
Jan 25, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #91 of 1,158
The p
  I am not getting much help from Google but he said 14,888 but price will be slightly reduced
14,888 in what?  someone that knows do the math, at least we have a starting point on price. 

It has the $ sign in front of it and it is a HK site so I am assuming HK dollars? If that is the case it translates to around $2k US or £1400 , in other words a fair chunk which means I am more than happy with my open box P1 from AMP3 at 1/3 the price.... :p

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #92 of 1,158
The p

It has the $ sign in front of it and it is a HK site so I am assuming HK dollars? If that is the case it translates to around $2k US or £1400 , in other words a fair chunk which means I am more than happy with my open box P1 from AMP3 at 1/3 the price.... :p

If this can compete with al380, for 2k...it is a bargain

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #95 of 1,158
Gosh. Haven't posted on here for years - but I just wanted to share that I was in Tokyo last month and just in time for the last day of the Portable Audio Festival in Akihabara.
I spent some time with the Plenue S. It was VERY good. I didn't much care for the un-EQ'd P1 sound, but I found the Plenue S to be more revealing, and it had the laid-back effortless sound of a truly high-end player.

Other things tested:
- VentureCraft's new DAP
- Wireworld's new IEM cable (the guy told me it was a prototype, and not in production yet? The one he had, had MMCX connectors on them, so I was able to use them with my Westone Pro30s)
- Kumitate lab IEMs
- Oppo DP-X1 (there was a huge queue to audition this, and it was completely sold out in all sales channels except for Yodobashi Camera which were charging the moon for whatever stock they might have had).

Anw, about the Plenue S: Just my two cents since it seems like not many people have listened to it?

PS: Tested using my own Westone UM Pro30's.

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #96 of 1,158
  Gosh. Haven't posted on here for years - but I just wanted to share that I was in Tokyo last month and just in time for the last day of the Portable Audio Festival in Akihabara.
I spent some time with the Plenue S. It was VERY good. I didn't much care for the un-EQ'd P1 sound, but I found the Plenue S to be more revealing, and it had the laid-back effortless sound of a truly high-end player.

Other things tested:
- VentureCraft's new DAP
- Wireworld's new IEM cable (the guy told me it was a prototype, and not in production yet? The one he had, had MMCX connectors on them, so I was able to use them with my Westone Pro30s)
- Kumitate lab IEMs
- Oppo DP-X1 (there was a huge queue to audition this, and it was completely sold out in all sales channels except for Yodobashi Camera which were charging the moon for whatever stock they might have had).

Anw, about the Plenue S: Just my two cents since it seems like not many people have listened to it?

Thank you. How does it compare to the DP-X1 or other DAPs you might know?

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #97 of 1,158
  There are plenty of impression in Korean(some negative ones now too)...

Can you briefly elaborate on what negatives some are saying the player has? (apart from the abysmal battery life - I already know that is atrocious
wink.gif
)

Thanks

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #100 of 1,158

Other things tested:

- VentureCraft's new DAP
- Kumitate lab IEMs

could you post your impressions about the kumitate lab iems?

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #102 of 1,158
Does anyone know the "Cowon" house sound ? It seems that Plenue S is using the same DAC as Plenue 1 and I can't think of any reason why the S would carry 2x the price tag ? Because balanced connection ?

I get the impression that because Cowon are trying to push-the-envelope, and stretch themselves to higher performance levels than they have previously achieved (prior to the Plenue series, which is clearly an attempt to cash-in on the luxury-marketing success of their fellow Koreans, at iRiver, and even Calyx), that the sound signature of each new Plenue Series DAP may not be exactly consistent with each predecessor in the series. They're trying to best themselves with each new Plenue model.

However, the one thing that seems to be mentioned in many of the Plenue Series (P1, M, and perhaps also the S) impressions is an apparent attempt by Cowon to achieve a relatively-refined and naturally-detailed sound.

The battery life is a bitch, but I'll admit that I'm more interested in the S than any other DAP they've ever created (but I wouldn't be happy paying $2000 bucks, as that kind of high-margin pricing strategy is nauseatingly reminiscent of iRiver's greed). Maybe I'll get one when the pricing drops, in 12 months or so.

FWIW, I still have, and often use, an old Cowon J3, so I do quite like Cowon. The J3 can't compete in SQ with current audiophile DAPs, but, in spite of this, in terms of price-paid vs useful-enjoyment-over-time, the J3 is, without question, the absolute best purchasing decision I've ever made, in 25yrs of hi-fi.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #103 of 1,158
I get the impression that because Cowon are trying to push-the-envelope, and stretch themselves to higher performance levels than they have previously achieved (prior to the Plenue series, which is clearly an attempt to cash-in on the luxury-marketing success of their fellow Koreans, at iRiver, and even Calyx), that the sound signature of each new Plenue Series DAP may not be exactly consistent with each predecessor in the series. They're trying to best themselves with each new Plenue model.

However, the one thing that seems to be mentioned in many of the Plenue Series (P1, M, and perhaps also the S) impressions is an apparent attempt by Cowon to achieve a relatively-refined and naturally-detailed sound.

The battery life is a bitch, but I'll admit that I'm more interested in the Sthan any other DAP they've ever created (but I wouldn't be happy paying $2000 bucks, as that kind of high-margin pricing strategy is nauseatingly reminiscent of iRiver's greed). Maybe I'll get one when the pricing drops, in 12 months or so.

FWIW, I still have, and often use, an old Cowon J3, so I do quite like Cowon. The J3 can't compete in SQ with current audiophile DAPs, but, in spite of this, in terms of price-paid vs useful-enjoyment-over-time, the J3 is, without question, the absolute best purchasing decision I've ever made, in 25yrs of hi-fi.
I had the AK100II and 120II but I prefer the P1 and M over either of the AKs.I prefer the M over the Paw Gold. I would like that the S had a bettery battery life.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #104 of 1,158

I had the AK100II and 120II but I prefer the P1 and M over either of the AKs.I prefer the M over the Paw Gold. I would like that the S had a better battery life.

What is it about the M that you prefer over the Paw Gold?   (I haven't heard the Paw Gold, or the M. Maybe I should move to Korea or HK, so I can audition TOTL DAPs easily, at the local dealers!
frown.gif
)

BTW, on the topic of Korean DAPs, I wonder if Calyx/D&A will ever invest the R&D in creating an improved Calyx-M? Seems the Calyx-M had the potential to be quite a heavy-hitter, but didn't quite tick all the boxes, first time around.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #105 of 1,158
What is it about the M that you prefer over the Paw Gold?   (I haven't heard the Paw Gold, or the M. Maybe I should move to Korea or HK, so I can audition TOTL DAPs easily, at the local dealers! :frowning2: )

BTW, on the topic of Korean DAPs, I wonder if Calyx/D&A will ever invest the R&D in creating an improved Calyx-M? Seems the Calyx-M had the potential to be quite a heavy-hitter, but didn't quite tick all the boxes, first time around.
Both are detailed and have very good amp, both have very nice ui but the M has a wider sound stage and a more analog sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back