New Cowon Player - Cowon X9
Aug 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #61 of 97
I've had both the z2 and x9 for couple days now and I'm leaning toward keeping the X9.  These are my 1st experience with Cowon players.  Both have the same excellent audio quality (better than the Rockbox'd FuzeV2 I came from).  The capacitive screen on the Z2 is easier for navigating.  The X9 requires a little bit more pressure and a slightly longer hold for player to react.  Battery life on the Z2 is meh, lasts half a day if I'm playing with it all day (having the screen on, downloading apps from Play store, etc...).  Probably will last longer if I only play music with the screen off.  X9, on the other hand, I've been playing with all weekend and it still sits at 100% battery (not sure what the increments are though).  Both don't have playlist support built in and album art only works on the X9 if they're embedded into the audio file.  JPEG album art in folders works fine for the Z2.  Also, the X9 comes with a proprietary connector cable for data/charging, and doesn't come with a wall socket adapter.  The X9 seem to drive headphones better as both players volumes go from 1 to 40 but the volume I listen at on the Z2, which is around 35, can be achieved on the X9 at around 25.  The external speaker for the X9 is not really loud enough at maximum volume, haven't tested Z2's.  As I'm only interested in playing music, I'm leaning toward keeping the X9.  I don't really need the extra features of the Z2 (video/wifi/bt) but being able to d/l apps is nice.  That's all I have for now, feel free to ask questions, I'll have both players for couple more weeks before I make my decision on which one to keep.

What playlist types do Cowon players support?  It's disappointing that neither player have playlist support built in :/

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #62 of 97
Quote:
album art only works on the X9 if they're embedded into the audio file.  JPEG album art in folders works fine for the Z2

No. You can put a "cover.jpg" file in the album folder on the X9, and voila.

What playlist types do Cowon players support?  It's disappointing that neither player have playlist support built in :/

X9 supports "pla" playlists. If you're on Windows, go into the album folder, right click on a file, and select "Create playlist". From then on, add tracks as you see fit. "pla" playlists MUST reside on the internal memory (even if the music files themselves can be on the external memory). X9 will not see them if they are on the SD card. Also, be sure X9's USB mode is MTP, or it will not work.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #63 of 97
Thor777, what headphones are you using on the x9?  I notice in your sig that you have ad700 (like myself).  Are they a good match?  Other headphones you have used? 

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #65 of 97
this may seem silly, but i have been unable to find the answer. are you able to change the colors? i don't like the orange/red look at all. i'm leaning toward the iBasso DX100, but looking for an alternative if i decide not to spend that much money. if it's going to be Android 2.3, then i choose DX100 over Z2, but the X9 could be an alt if i can get out of the main color theme from the pics.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #66 of 97
Quote:
this may seem silly, but i have been unable to find the answer. are you able to change the colors? i don't like the orange/red look at all. i'm leaning toward the iBasso DX100, but looking for an alternative if i decide not to spend that much money. if it's going to be Android 2.3, then i choose DX100 over Z2, but the X9 could be an alt if i can get out of the main color theme from the pics.

Not sure about X9, but for S9/J3, they have something like custom themes for you to download and install to change the theme of the player.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #67 of 97
Quote:
Thor777, what headphones are you using on the x9?  I notice in your sig that you have ad700 (like myself).  Are they a good match?  Other headphones you have used? 

The ad700s sound great with the X9.  Better definition and clarity compared to my old setup (FuzeV2 + CMoyBB), although the sound stage is about the same.  Not that it's bad, as the ad700s are known for great sound stage.

I just received my M50s/LE yesterday 
k701smile.gif
 and have been testing them on the Z2, all I can say is wow!  Haven't tested them with the X9 yet.  I'll test them today and report back.

I also used Samsung IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus with the X9/Z2, actually made them sound pretty good

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #68 of 97
Well that is great.  I recently got a sansa clip+ and already had a sansa fuze, both rockboxed, and they struggle to power my headphones properly.  Fine for sensitive canalphones and sensitive headphones, but they just lack a little something that a more powerful dap can do.  I also have the re0's, have you tried them with the x9?  Really just after a mp3 player that allows extra storage while giving good powerful sound - and I hate using portable amps.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #69 of 97
Quote:
Well that is great.  I recently got a sansa clip+ and already had a sansa fuze, both rockboxed, and they struggle to power my headphones properly.  Fine for sensitive canalphones and sensitive headphones, but they just lack a little something that a more powerful dap can do.  I also have the re0's, have you tried them with the x9?  Really just after a mp3 player that allows extra storage while giving good powerful sound - and I hate using portable amps.

I lost my re0's a while back :frowning2: I should update my profile.  I'm actually leaning toward keeping the Z2 now.  I rooted it and installed Play store, Rockbox, Holo Launcher, and took out unnecessary apps.  I hope I can make up my mind by the return deadline:p

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #70 of 97
Hmmmm....See, the z2 is $150 more expensive where I am, and it appears to be similar to the samsung galaxy players.  I already have a phone with better capabilities than the z2 for apps, video watching and the like.  I really want something with good battery life, strong amp, great sound and expandable memory.  Sounds to me like the x9 has a more powerful amp than the z2, better battery life and is cheaper.  I would go the x9 over the z2, as I would only be using it for music.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #71 of 97
Quote:
Hmmmm....See, the z2 is $150 more expensive where I am, and it appears to be similar to the samsung galaxy players.  I already have a phone with better capabilities than the z2 for apps, video watching and the like.  I really want something with good battery life, strong amp, great sound and expandable memory.  Sounds to me like the x9 has a more powerful amp than the z2, better battery life and is cheaper.  I would go the x9 over the z2, as I would only be using it for music.

I would have my reservations regarding Both power and sound quality of the Sony to the Cowon. But I'd say Cowon has the advantage with battery life and memory expansion. That alone would turn me to the Cowon. Sony needs to get their act together and get with the times. Can't be proprietary like Apple. That will destroy both companies down the road when people start catching on.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #72 of 97
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you can clear up (since you've had this player for a bit longer than I).  Most of my music collection are mixes that are double discs and when I transferred then to the X9 (through drag and drop), I had a couple of issues.  When I browsed the music from the [Albums] section, my double disc albums were not in order.  But when I browsed through the [Folders] > [X9] > [Compilations], the double disc albums are ordered without any issues (better than other players actually, as it gives you the disc numbers and all).  This only happens on double disc compilations, not on single disc.  And non-compilations albums are unaffected. 

Why is this happening?  Is this how the UI is?  Am I doing something wrong? 

Next, is there any way to stop the screen from changing orientation?

And finally, if I already have a playlist, is there any way to add more songs onto it?

I think that's it, for now.  I like the player, but I also dislike it.  Love the audio quality and the battery life.  But there are some serious UI / organizational issues that need to be remedied and I hope they will.

Thank you.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #73 of 97
ahhh, not sure what Lee730 is on about, the z2 is a cowon player.....we were discussing two cowon players....where did the sony come from?  Maybe there is a sony z2?  Is there?  I should have been more clear.....

Still have not pulled the trigger on the x9 yet, would like more people to pipe up and state their true feelings about it.  Enjoying my clip+ at the moment, wonder how much of an upgrade it would really be.....

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #74 of 97
Quote:

Still have not pulled the trigger on the x9 yet, would like more people to pipe up and state their true feelings about it.  Enjoying my clip+ at the moment, wonder how much of an upgrade it would really be.....

In battery life, about ten times....lol.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #75 of 97
Sure, battery life should kill it.  Just wanting to hear that the sound quality is perceptably better over the clip+, as well as long battery life.  The clip just does not have enough power, hoping that the x9 is more powerful in its amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back