New Corda portable amp is coming
May 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 34

Quote:
I also find it interesting that several dont like the shape - one of the biggest single complaints about Jan's earlier amps was that they didnt mate easily with a DAP. Granted, it would need to be a somewhat large DAP to sit neatly on top of this new device, assuming it has the same proportions as the original Stepdance, but at least it will sit flat.

It is not the shape we don't like, just the angles on the side. It would have been a much nicer finish if it is rounded on both side.

May 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 34

Quote:
It is not the shape we don't like, just the angles on the side. It would have been a much nicer finish if it is rounded on both side.

I think it's rather neat and something to stand out from all the competition. Aren't such odd cases more expensive than regular boxes though?

May 7, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #19 of 34

Quote:
This size should be perfect for my iPod nano 3Gen.
biggrin.gif

are you sure? judging from the picture i think the size is similar to stepdance. your ipod nano will likely be drawn in stepdance's dimension i think
beyersmile.png

May 7, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #21 of 34
Dear headfellows,

You guys quickly spotted this one!  
wink_face.gif

> It looks much slimmer than the original - rechargeable battery and smaller caps perhaps?

The amp is indeed by around 25% slimmer than the first STEPDANCE model. And it is flat, so your iPod will sit on top more easily.

Buffering capacity indeed is slightly less but other measures were taken to improve on the powersupply lines.

> Not too fond on angles though. I prefer a rounded shape.

Whatever solution, some will like it, others will not.

> like there is a gain switch below the volume pot.

Confirmed. The amp on the picture is a production-prototype. On the final production series it will be a little bit more easy to switch.

> wonder if it will be sonically similar to the first one.

Yes, sonic differences to the original STEPDANCE are very small, if noticable at all.

> I'd love a portable amp with both crossfeed and a stepped volume control.

Sorry, no crossfeed. This amp also uses the concept of active balanced ground. For technical reasons it is very difficult to add crossfeed without raising currentconsumption (need of extra buffering stages).

There will be a stepped volume control though!

> i'm just hoping someday jan would implement internal charging circuit in his portable amp.

Sorry!

But the good thing is, that battery life-time has increased by around 50%! That means lesser exchanges of batteries.

beerchug.gif

Jan

May 7, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #22 of 34
炸弹2号

May 7, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
> wonder if it will be sonically similar to the first one.

Yes, sonic differences to the original STEPDANCE are very small, if noticable at all.

There will be a stepped volume control though!

beerchug.gif

Jan

jan, were you implying that stepdance 2 is technically the same as original stepdance, just with smaller form factor?

May 7, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Dear headfellows,

You guys quickly spotted this one!  
wink_face.gif

> It looks much slimmer than the original - rechargeable battery and smaller caps perhaps?

The amp is indeed by around 25% slimmer than the first STEPDANCE model. And it is flat, so your iPod will sit on top more easily.

Buffering capacity indeed is slightly less but other measures were taken to improve on the powersupply lines.

> Not too fond on angles though. I prefer a rounded shape.

Whatever solution, some will like it, others will not.

But the good thing is, that battery life-time has increased by around 50%! That means lesser exchanges of batteries.

Thanks for the explanation, Dr. Meier. Please do consider a rounded case for the next portable amp though.

One question: With the efficiency has been improved, I assume the output and other aspects (such as 15V to bring out best performance, etc) ain't really affected, right? I probably won't need the battery improved version, but I thought I'll just ask in case other are wondering about the same thing. Thanks.

May 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #25 of 34
maybe lithium polymer battery can be a great substitute for 9v battery in the upcoming portable amp design? just like minibox ES, RSA amps,etc.

4 cells lipo battery will get you 14.8V, very close to the energizer pack used in modded stepdance, and it can be fit easily inside the amp without extra bulky box
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #26 of 34
I would like more volume range for us IEM users. Many portable amps, even at low gain, are too powerful for sensitive phones. The Pico Slim and TTVJ Slim are great in this regard!

May 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #27 of 34
i also dont dig the edges, but as long as it sounds nice im fine with it :D

May 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
I would like more volume range for us IEM users. Many portable amps, even at low gain, are too powerful for sensitive phones. The Pico Slim and TTVJ Slim are great in this regard!

Agreed, but its all relative. I felt my P4 was overpowering my IEMs until I plugged them into my E9 - you really wouldnt do it unless you were a masochist.

The T3 remains the best choice for sensitive IEMs, in my experience, but I havent tried any of the other slim amps. I havent tried the T3D, but something with a digital volume pot makes a lot of sense for IEMs - alternatively, just use the headphone out on a good DAP and dispense with the amp completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back