NEW CORDA HEADFIVE: A New Amp to Celebrate Head-Fi's Fifth Anniversary!
Jun 25, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #481 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrYman
The reason I am considering to buy Beyerdynamic DT-770 is that I'd like to have quality closed headphones to listen to them at nights (HD-600 is bothering my gf when she goes to sleep next door), and while UM2 'sing' pretty good they are not comfortable to use for hours...

I know if costs quite a bit more, but maybe you can consider the W1000 and W5000?

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #482 of 805
Quote:

I was researching forums a bit, seem those who had the chance to try all three DT-770 models (300, 80 & 32 ohm) prefer 80 ohm best.... Jan, you still selling 80 ohm models? (This looks also like a good compromise to use them both directly from portable MP3 players and via HeadFIVE, right?)

Skylab, I saw you've tried all three versions of DT-770, so would you recommend me to go with 80ohm or 250ohm to be driven by HeadFIVE?

Well, I think the DT770/80 is the best all around headphone of the DT770 series, and so I would go for that. I use a headphile-modified pair for exactly what you want them for - listening in bed at night after my wife is asleep. They are terrific for that.

The Headfive isn't a bad match for DT770's, it's just that there are better amps for it (including from Meier). But the combination is still fun to listen to.

Jun 25, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #483 of 805
Just reserved mine. Will be my first amp for my first set-up. Gonna be sweet.
580smile.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #485 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Well, I think the DT770/80 is the best all around headphone of the DT770 series, and so I would go for that. I use a headphile-modified pair for exactly what you want them for - listening in bed at night after my wife is asleep. They are terrific for that.

The Headfive isn't a bad match for DT770's, it's just that there are better amps for it (including from Meier). But the combination is still fun to listen to.

So how exactly are your DT-77o modified?

How do you like DT-77o driven by your SuperMacro?

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #486 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
Between this one and the Aria, which one should I get?
confused.gif

Simple - do you need the DAC in the Aria?

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #487 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
Simple - do you need the DAC in the Aria?

Well, eventually it could be useful.

But in fact, the question is: which is the best amplifier? Or are they exactly the same?

580smile.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #488 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
Well, eventually it could be useful.
But in fact, the question is: which is the best amplifier? Or are they exactly the same?

I only have the HeadFive, so what I say is comparing against the reputation of the Aria. The HeadFive is smoother and warmer - this is obvious even comparing against other amps. The roll offs are more like a tube amp. For this reason, it's more forgiving of faults in your source and headphones.

But this is at the cost of some detail as compared to the Aria. The Aria extracts a little more raw detail than the HeadFive can. It's therefore also a brighter presentation. So if this is your criterion for a good amp, then it's better.

Note that the comparison is relative to each other. Both are good amps and both represent good value for their respective prices.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #489 of 805
Quote:

So how exactly are your DT-77o modified?

How do you like DT-77o driven by your SuperMacro?

Look on Headphile's site to see how they are modified (link at top of page).

I don;t use the DT770's with the Supermacro, I use Senn HD25-1's.

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #490 of 805
Mine was shipped on Tues and I'm gonna assume I'll get it tomorrow. I'll be using my DT770s on it quite extensively and I will also add my input.

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #494 of 805
My amp has been shipped today, so I should receive it in a week or so. I just couldn't pass on this chance to get one of Dr. Meiers amps for a very good price. =)

I'm hoping it pairs well with my HF-1, although the DT880 is more in need of a matching amp. It's more than likely that I will be selling my Millett soon.

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #495 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
It sounds brilliant with the DT770.

Ian

Ian,
Have you had a chance to spend much time with the HEADFIVE and MS1s?

Have you compared the HEADFIVE to the Porta Corda II at all?

Thanks!
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back