NEW CORDA HEADFIVE: A New Amp to Celebrate Head-Fi's Fifth Anniversary!
Jun 26, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #496 of 805
I briefly compared the Porta Corda III to the Headfive, and found the Headfive to be the much better amp. It's just as detailed and transparent, if not more so, but the PCIII is kind of lean sounding IMO, and the H5 is so very pleasantly warm and sweet.

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #497 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck
Ian,
Have you had a chance to spend much time with the HEADFIVE and MS1s?

Have you compared the HEADFIVE to the Porta Corda II at all?

Hi George,

It's not properly burned in yet but initial a/b listening plus some extended listening has shown that this amp has quite good resolving powers. Not up to Graham Slee Solo but then you wouldn't expect it to be at this price.

So far - I found the top end initially a bit calm. I originally hooked the Sennheiser 650 to it and didn't like the combo at all. This is probably because I am so used to the sound from the Solo which is a lot brighter in the treble and so matches well with the Senns.

Switching to the DT770 was an ear opener. I found myself liking the sound!! It takes the glare away from the Beyers and retains the bass kick that I love from the headphones.

I tried the Grado 325i and Alessandro and they both sound excellent. I am very fond of the Alessandro MS1 and it really does work well with this amp. Mellow, with a good, clean sound. Lots of weight too. (Not on the same level as the Senn 650 though)

I have so many headphones to try with them that I will try to do some more detailed listening opnce the amp is burned in. It's not really fair to make any judgement on a brand new amp.

The Headfive is a keeper. I am keen on it since it seems to portray depth and emotion in music. It almost makes the Solo sound clinical in comparison.

The Headfive is a bargain in my opinion. It's way above the Porta Corda and the Corda is a good amp for portable use imo. (Sorry - mine's a III, not II) The Headfive is cleaner sounding, but it does have more power to call on.

I would have liked a little more gain from the Headfive via a gain switch. It's set to 'medium' (whatever that is) so if you intend to use it to boost DAP's etc., it can be a bit low for the more difficult cans to drive. (Beyers)

My own feeling (currently) is that lower impedance headphones work extremely well with it. Not knowing anything about design and what it was intended for, I'm just depending on my ears so... just my preference.

It does work well with the DT770 though. Mellow and heavy sound. (Even with poor sources such as mp3)

For the time being, I'm going to stick with one headphone for a while and get used to the signature since I tend to wander between so many headphones, depending on what I'm listening to so that I don't get stuck on one type of sound. (It's not quite as mad as it sounds!!)

Mr McRat sir ..... is that a DIY or a Headroom finished job?

Ian

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #498 of 805
Ian,
Wow! Thanks for the detailed impressions. I've got my reservation in and my payment sent.

I'm very excited for this amp.

EDIT:
Amp (#415) ships tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #499 of 805
My initial impressions of the amp, after only 20 hours burn-in.

At first, it caused a little fatigue when listening, but that is now clearing up. Every time I listen, it's better.

To me, this amp sounds clean but not un-musical. Engaging would be a good adjective. The bass is pretty nice too, plenty of kick but also plenty of control.

Jun 26, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #500 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck
I'm very excited for this amp.

Jan is an efficient distributor. He'll catch you on the hop!! It took just two days to reach the UK.

It's a fun amp.

Mojo, what cans are you using? I found the amp to be very smooth.

Ian

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #501 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Mr McRat sir ..... is that a DIY or a Headroom finished job?

Dear Mr. Craig, it's a DIY job by MisterX. Please see the following post for details:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...20&postcount=1

I'm gonna compare the Millett with the HeadFive and then decide, but somehow I'm already biased towards keeping the Corda.

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #502 of 805
Quote:

Switching to the DT770 was an ear opener. I found myself liking the sound!! It takes the glare away from the Beyers and retains the bass kick that I love from the headphones.
It does work well with the DT770 though. Mellow and heavy sound. (Even with poor sources such as mp3)

Hi Ian, I am awaiting on this amp to reach my home, and in meantime I am considering buying Beyerdynamic DT-770, but don't know which version, 80 ohm or 250 ohm --- I see you have both version, so, can you please test them both with HeadFIVE and tell us which one you prefer with Head5?

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #503 of 805
Well, I got my Corda Headfive today in DFW (7 Days shipping time). There's been only 4 hrs of burn-in, so far.

I actually turned off my Carver Amp and Pre-Amp, and am now running from the FIBRE out from the D/A converter off my PC, directly to the HeadFive. This told me how much of a BASS freak I am, and that I needed MUCH more serious bottom-end. I accomplished that with a digital EQ, and now am listening to everything I can think of.

It IS what you'd call a "warm" amp, but very able to drive my Senns. I've got about 3 weeks of listening left to formulate any valid opinions. Keep listening!

Steve

EDIT: Hmmmmmmm. It seems that the CROSSFEED switch is really not much more than a means to vary the level of the L+R signal in relation with the L-R signal. I sorta expected more - an L+R variator that responds with frequency as well as amplitude. However, not on a $250 amp - I'll add more when I have more input. So far, I'm pleased.

Jun 27, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #506 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Congrats
580smile.gif
You surely will not be disapointed...what kind of headphones you plan on using with your first amp?

There will be a pair of HD580's in the mail very shortly to go along with my new amp. As well as a Zhaolu and an M-Audio Transit. People weren't joking when they would say sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #507 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsamms
There will be a pair of HD580's in the mail very shortly to go along with my new amp. As well as a Zhaolu and an M-Audio Transit. People weren't joking when they would say sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif

No one here ever jokes about "sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif
Thats quit a nice first set up for sure....where did you order your Zhaolu from and what options did you get...I'm seriously thinking about this dac
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #508 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsamms
tongue.gif

Can you do a little test? When you'll get your setup running and singing, can you try these two ways:

1) M-Audio Transit (optical-out) --> Zhaolu 2.0 --> Meier Corda HEADFIVE --> Sennheiser HD580

2) M-Audio Transit (line-out) --> Meier Corda HEADFIVE --> Sennheiser HD580

I am wondering if the DAC in Zhaolu will be really that much better than the one in M-Audio Transit.... If it will be, I'd like to buy Zhaolu too, and can you let us know where did you buy it, and how (got an email?) ?

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #509 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrYman
Hi Ian, I am awaiting on this amp to reach my home, and in meantime I am considering buying Beyerdynamic DT-770, but don't know which version, 80 ohm or 250 ohm --- I see you have both version, so, can you please test them both with HeadFIVE and tell us which one you prefer with Head5?

Hi,

My preference is for the 80 ohm version. The treble isn't as peaky on this version as the 250 ohm and it takes slightly less to drive it. They're not particularly sensitive headphones either so it is better imo to go with the lower impedance. The Beyers have a solid, fruity sound with the Headfive. It works well.

Ian

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #510 of 805
Quote:

Hi,

My preference is for the 80 ohm version. The treble isn't as peaky on this version as the 250 ohm and it takes slightly less to drive it. They're not particularly sensitive headphones either so it is better imo to go with the lower impedance. The Beyers have a solid, fruity sound with the Headfive. It works well.

Ian

I see! So, would you say getting new DT-770 32ohm would be even a better choice than 80ohm regarding ease of driving them with Head5? In other words.... if you put up a recording which is low in volume can Head5 drive 80ohm version well enough (read loud enough)? Most of the time I listen to music at moderate to low volumes, but sometimes, say when I dedicate myself fully to listening to the music (esp if something new and recorded with lower 'power') I like to listen it at loud.... So, whatchathink?

I doubt that ANY headphone/amp combination can get louder than being at a loud rock concert, especially I have in mind Head5 with Sennheiser HD-600 and even with Beyerdynamic at 32ohm… true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back