NEW CORDA HEADFIVE: A New Amp to Celebrate Head-Fi's Fifth Anniversary!
Jun 27, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #511 of 805
The 80 ohm version is only slightly easier than the 250 ohm. ie the volume difference is not huge. However the Headfive drives the 80 ohm easily. It also drives the 250 ohm well actually as long as you have a strong line out from the source.

If you intend to go from a DAP, then you need low impedance/sensitive headphones. I would have liked just a little more gain for this, or a switch from low to high gain.

I'm not sure what the 32 ohm version sounds like. Jan seems to think they are all similar si it may not be critical. The 250 ohm versions is a bit more steely in the treble than the 80 ohm version. I don't know for sure about the 32. Both 80 and 250 ohm versions work well with the Headfive. (Although, Jan is not keen on any of them, I know)

Ian

Jun 27, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #512 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
....as long as you have a strong line out from the source.

If you intend to go from a DAP, then you need low impedance/sensitive headphones. I would have liked just a little more gain for this, or a switch from low to high gain...

Thanks Ian! That's exactly what I think my "problem" will be if I go for 250 ohm or even 80 ohm version.... I am actually buying an amp cause I want my headphones (Sennheiser HD-600 at 300 ohm) to sing LOUDER, and I am now to discover (after paying for Head5 already), that it might not sing loud at all
eggosmile.gif
So at least I can save my “need” by getting 32 ohm Beyers...

My "sources" are Desktop PC (with Audigy 2), Notebook (with M-Audio Transit USB), PocketPC and portable MP3 player... and I guess ALL have pretty weak line-out, right? So, 32 ohm seems a safe bet, but on the other hand, if my "sources" (read computer audio devices) suck, I'd be better to buy a decent DAC, like Zhaolu DAC (http://www.diykits.com.hk/dac.html) and use M-Audio Transit as optical-out to Zhaolu DAC optical-in, but probably that will be sometime later...

Jun 27, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #513 of 805
Both the new 32 ohm DT770 and the DT770/80 sound good with the Headfive, I own and have tried both. You certainly get PLENTY of bass! The H5 warms up the mids of both a bit though, which is nice, and in the case of the new 32 ohm version, smooths out it's somewhat agressive treble just a little. But the H5 is transparent enough that you get the basic sound of whatever headphone is connected to it, and thus it's still clear that the DT770/80 is the better all around performer.

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #514 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrYman
I doubt that ANY headphone/amp combination can get louder than being at a loud rock concert, especially I have in mind Head5 with Sennheiser HD-600 and even with Beyerdynamic at 32ohm… true?

If this is your goal, to get rock concert levels out of your headphones, you're going to lose your hearing in short order. There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding the danger to hearing of extended loud listening through headphones. Do a search on "hearing loss" and read for yourself.

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #515 of 805
A rock concert isn't just the loudness, but also the vibrations that you "feel" - especially the bass. When it's too loud, you start to hear rattling of objects around you, and also distortions. These let you know it's too loud. But with headphones, these sensations are missing. So you can easily be listening at louder than rock concert levels without realising it. Very dangerous.

I am one of those who have a ringing sound in my ears from extended sessions on my HD600 (it gets worse when I'm tired). So be warned, it does happen.

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #516 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
If this is your goal, to get rock concert levels out of your headphones, you're going to lose your hearing in short order. There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding the danger to hearing of extended loud listening through headphones. Do a search on "hearing loss" and read for yourself.

How come I still hear perfectly well for my age, since I was almost every weekend at a rock concert when younger? I know all about danger of listening at loud... It all depends how long you do it... I won't listen that load every day for an hour! Perhaps an hour or two per week
wink.gif
And as said, no amp/headphone setup will come even close to that loudness, aye?

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #517 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
A rock concert isn't just the loudness, but also the vibrations that you "feel" - especially the bass. When it's too loud, you start to hear rattling of objects around you, and also distortions. These let you know it's too loud. But with headphones, these sensations are missing. So you can easily be listening at louder than rock concert levels without realising it. Very dangerous.

I am one of those who have a ringing sound in my ears from extended sessions on my HD600 (it gets worse when I'm tired). So be warned, it does happen.

Thanks for your input, I bolded the key part in your post which can cause the hearing problem...

Got a technical question regarding HeadFIVE, decibels and healthy listening volumes:

1) What is the maximal loudness (in decibels) with HeadFIVE & 250-300 ohms headphones?
2) What with 80-125 ohms?
3) What with 27-50 ohms?
4) Also, what is the loudness for these headphones when HeadFIVE is at half power?

Ah yes, it also depends on line-out power of source, so let's say there is strong/normal line-out source and a weak one ala portable MP3 players... Hmmm, now it comes to 8 combination already...

This could be quite helpful to know, to set proper listening habits...

I am guessing this is possible to calculate? Or does one need to meassure it??

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #518 of 805
Quote:

How come I still hear perfectly well for my age, since I was almost every weekend at a rock concert when younger? I know all about danger of listening at loud... It all depends how long you do it... I won't listen that load every day for an hour! Perhaps an hour or two per week
wink.gif
And as said, no amp/headphone setup will come even close to that loudness, aye?

Hmmm, you've been tested, have you? Go right ahead, my friend, they're your ears.

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #519 of 805
My advice would be enjoy your headfive and don't worry about volume levels....

My Audigy 2NX paired with my Headfive can drive my HD570s to dumb volume levels (especially compared to directly off of the card or through my PA2V2). The difference between amped and unamped out of my card is completely unbelievable... The headfive goes loud enough, at least in my setup and from what you are describing I believe that you will get similar results.

I don't even need to say anything about volume levels as that's already been covered.

PS: I've read posts that indicate that the Sennheiser HD570s are a bit hard to drive, even compared to HD580, HD600, HD650 etc. I have no personal experience but I have read that here on the forum.

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #521 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
No one here ever jokes about "sorry about your wallet"
tongue.gif
Thats quit a nice first set up for sure....where did you order your Zhaolu from and what options did you get...I'm seriously thinking about this dac
580smile.gif

I am just getting the basic version from diykits. The new version is coming out soon and I know I am going to want to upgrade, so I figure save a little now and then when I have more money buy a fully upgraded more beefed up DAC
580smile.gif

Quote:

Can you do a little test? When you'll get your setup running and singing, can you try these two ways:

1) M-Audio Transit (optical-out) --> Zhaolu 2.0 --> Meier Corda HEADFIVE --> Sennheiser HD580

2) M-Audio Transit (line-out) --> Meier Corda HEADFIVE --> Sennheiser HD580

I am wondering if the DAC in Zhaolu will be really that much better than the one in M-Audio Transit.... If it will be, I'd like to buy Zhaolu too, and can you let us know where did you buy it, and how (got an email?) ?

I am willing to bet the Zhaolu is a million times better then the M-Audio's DAC, but it's all personal taste. Seems odd to go from 1.8inch termination to L/R RCA

Jun 28, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #522 of 805
Mine arrived today, thanks Jan. Eight days from Germany to Hawaii, pretty darn good. The amp has been burning in for the past ten hours, and the one thing I noticed is that I'm just not sensing the tubiness. I've heard a few Cary monoblocks and they did sound nice, warm, and bassey, this amp however, feels pretty detailed, kind of like my NADs.

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #523 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsamms
I am willing to bet the Zhaolu is a million times better then the M-Audio's DAC, but it's all personal taste.

Hehe, I don't think it's your personal taste just YET, since you don't have both Transit & Zhaolu yet
wink.gif

But when you do get this: M-Audio Transit --> Zhaolu 2.0 --> HEADFIVE --> Sennheiser HD580

....can you let me know then???

Jun 28, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #525 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Knowing the package needn't be signed for; i'll just bet a neferious local Head-Fi lurker sat on yer stoop and collected the goods, I tell ya, I'm sure of it!
mad.gif

Cheer up mate, it prolly just got mishandeled and is taking the scenic route tour 'bouts the E.U. first!
icon10.gif

Seriously, best o luck and keep us posted...

Just got an email back from Jan regarding my amp.....he forgot to post it
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back