NEW CORDA HEADFIVE: A New Amp to Celebrate Head-Fi's Fifth Anniversary!
Mar 31, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #46 of 805
This information is not only for DIYers. I what it means is that for the price, you'll get really good components!!!

The The capacitators is the signal path are normally only used in much more expensive amps. The alps pot only costs around 16$ if bought individualy.
Toroidal transformers are normally known for having less noise than normal ones. Etc.. Etc.. If we add in the cripe for those RCA's, jacks etc... and those beautiful front and back panels this amp is just a bargain!

Thanks again Jan!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
reserved! yey....
question: will it retain the silver color or will it be black when it goes into production?
(i like black better btw).
also
"It has a built-in regulated power-supply with toroidal transformer and Nichicon capacitors, all bypassed with film-capacitors. It uses four LM6171 opamps and two BUF634 output buffers to provide adequate output currents. Volume is controlled by an ALPS potentiometer. All capacitors in the signal path are polypropylen or polystyrol (!)."
Could someone explain what this means for us non DIYers?

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #47 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
99.9% of the time, when something says "Designed and Engineered in XYZ", it means "Made in China"

Well, the toroidal transformer is from an Asian company, so it is probably made in china

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #48 of 805
Is there any reason to believe that this amp would not be a good match for a DT880?

I'm using them now directly connected to the headphone output of my Sim Audio preamp and it sounds fantastic, but I've never used them any other way and really have no idea how much better (or worse) adding a headphone amp of this caliber would drive the 880's.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #49 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaMusicNut
Is there any reason to believe that this amp would not be a good match for a DT880?

Low output impedance, plenty of voltage/current output... should be fine. Unless it's bright/thin sounding for some reason, which seems doubtful.

P.S. Jan -- just out of curiosity, is there any concern about that transformer being so close to the opamps etc.?

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #50 of 805
Can you hear that? Sounds like a wallet screaming...
very_evil_smiley.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oh boy... Add the HD650, and this year may get kinda spendy. Definitely interested, but still have to think about it (would need to take some of my saved funds). Would payment by oldschool banking transfer (Überweisung) also be possible?

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #54 of 805
#10 reserved however.. will my spot be taken if I dont pay immediately? It seems that most of you are planning on paying already.

Just wondering..

Jeremy

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #55 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
#10 reserved however.. will my spot be taken if I dont pay immediately? It seems that most of you are planning on paying already.

Just wondering..

Jeremy

I was told by DrMeier that we do not need to pay now and the amp will be reserved. They will only be ready in the begining of July!

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #58 of 805
Hope Jan doesn't mind me putting this here. I asked Jan how the Headfive compared to the Aria sonically, and he said it was close to the Aria with perhaps a bit less refinement and a bit less bass. I've seen some liking the pairing of Aria with Grado, so I'd say the Headfive would be a good choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #59 of 805
SIGN ME UP!

I need another amp like I need a hole in the head, but what the heck.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #60 of 805
Dear Headfellows,

> is there any concern about that transformer being so close to the opamps etc.?

No, toroidal transformers have a very low magnetic field. Moreover, the amp doesn't use the classical concept of a fixed high gain (hum-sensitive!) with a signal attenuator at the front but has a variable gain-factor.

The amp is very quiet, even when using low impedance headphones.

> I was told by DrMeier that we do not need to pay now and the amp will be reserved.

It's true, there's no need to pay right away. However, be warned that amps will be send in order of paying, not of reservation! I expect a large order list and the number of amps that can be checked/shipped daily is limited. Therefore the sooner you pay, the sooner will you be able to enjoy your new toy.

Various people have asked me to compare the sound quality of the HEADFIVE with that of the ARIA. First let me make clear that the HEADFIVE is not an ARIA without USB-DAC. Some more simplifications were made to the circuitry, especially with respect to the class-A biasing of the opamps. It has to be, considering price and space inside. The difference is most noticable in the treble. The ARIA shows a little bit more details and sounds more fluently. The HEADFIVE has a slightly warmer sound, some probably would say a more tubey sound. Not a bad thing really, since the HEADFIVE is a low-budget amp and is more likely to be paired with a low-budget source than the ARIA. The HEADFIVE is more forgiving in sound.

Let there be no doubt. I personally feel the HEADFIVE is a very good value for money.

Cheers

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back