New cell phone + music?
Aug 25, 2006 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
My (new) old Nokia 6682 took a swim off Laguna Beach and despite all efforts to save it in time, the two softkeys are broken making the phone un-unlockable and unusable. I'm just about ready for a phone upgrade with cingular anyways, so I'll buy something decent.

I looked at the Slvr, which seems nice. Small thin, plays music (how well?) and has mass storage capability. (mini SD)

My main criteria are:
  1. Small size, thin even more important
  2. Music playback (large capacity)
  3. Bluetooth (2.0 even better)
  4. Must be GSM

Any ideas?

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 45
Doesn't get any better than the Samsung SCH-B570.
eggosmile.gif

8gig hdd
2 meg pixel camera
5.1 artificial surround sound from didital amp
aditional SD card expansion slot
picture in picture

mmmm.... mmmm..... good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only out in korea for now.
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

http://www.i4u.com/article6402.html

Enjoy.
Do!

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 45
And its staying in Korea, that's a CDMA phone and he's looking for a GSM phone with cingular

Plus Samsung makes quite a few phones that are exclusive to Korea only

Aug 27, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 45
Nokia N91 if you're willing to spend. 4GB HDD, available in the States, but big; not so much compared with the 6682 though. Available on the Nokia website. It's supposed to sound better than other music phones and even the ipod; but that is pure hearsay.

Otherwise, if you must have small in the States, I guess it's the SLVR. Imports might yield something better though.

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 45
I would recommend not getting a cellphone as an MP3 Player. I have a ROKR the one before the SLVR. And I only use it while biking, playing it through the speaker. But when I'm out and about I wouldn't use the headphones, they sound like crap and usually not enough memory. And if you were to get the 4gb+, for that price you can probably get a nano and a very nice phone.

But if you really don't mind, maybe the Sony Ericsson W600 or W800. The W600 my sister owns and I find it a very nice phone. Customizable EQ, I find that a HUGE plus. And I would also assume it has customizable EQ. The W600 however only has 512mb internal memory, with no SD slot. You also have to share the 512 with your pictures, contacts and whatnot. The W800, (from what I know) has 1gb. And... that's all I know about it.

And speaking on design, the W600 is a 180 degrees flip/slide phone. Very refreshing and orignal. But it's pretty chunky...

The W800 is a lot like a thicker SLVR... actually I think I'm gonna just make you do the reading, this is getting far too long.

W800
http://www.welectronics.com/gsm/Sony...SSON_W800.HTML

W550 (the older W600, looks exactly the same though. But for some odd reason it doesn't state how big the memory is)
http://www.welectronics.com/gsm/Sony...SSON_W550.HTML

EDIT:

Wow, I just found this phone... W900
http://www.welectronics.com/gsm/Sony...SSON_W900.HTML

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 45
I'd like to note the "small size" part in the poster's requirements.... As I own the W900i, I personally think it's a superb phone, but It's quite thick and big, so going with that, I'd rather suggest the w800 or something like that... Trust me, you don't know big until you've seen the w900i

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 45
The Sony W810i looks great! I'm hoping it looks as good in person as it does in the photos, as certain objects that photograph well have the tendency of looking tacky in real life.

I forgot to mention that another area of importance for me is connectivity. I use a lot of data, and am on an unlimited plan. I use web browsers, google maps, AIM and *cough*bluetooth-tethering to my laptop.
wink.gif
I think this phone is suitable for my uses, but I'm not sure if it has any type of AIM support. (not a huge issue)

Sony has a few other nice looking phones too, but the music player aspect of this would fill TWO wishes of mine lately, a new mobile phone and a flash based mp3 player.
smily_headphones1.gif
All in one device.

Aug 28, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 45
Ugh! $340, I'm about to buy it.

There goes my DT990s for a while.
frown.gif
Someone convince me MUSIC is more important than talking to people.
biggrin.gif
Crap, this phone has music on it too. I'm doomed!

But hey, at least this fills my void of a nice flash based MP3 player! And it's all in one device, which is totally excellent and one less thing to carry.

Thanks guys, and curse you at the same time, Head-fi!!!
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
How would I connect this to my current Cingular service? Swap the Sim Card?

Yup (assuming the phone you obtain is unlocked). No need to contact your provider.

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 45
I'm just having a few reservations on this phone versus say, the SLVR. Technically neither one is much better than the other.

They both ship with 512MB of expandable memory. The SLVR is a bit thinner and sleeker but the Sony has a 2MP camera, which I'm sure is horrible as are all camera phones, but still spec wise better. I know I can for sure connect my headphones to the Sony with a little accessory, but as for the SLVR I'm still unsure. The SLVR has built in AIM, which is really nice but not a dealbreaker for me.

Anyone else see anything between these two phones?

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 45
I am really liking the nokia n80, i'm posting now with it via my brother wi fi connection, good for music, net access, everything, the only negative thing i can think of is that the battery life seems to take quite a hit if you play too much music :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back