New cell phone + music?
Aug 28, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 45
the w810i's camera has autofocus, which makes it actually very good for a camera phone. Its still not better than a pure digicam, but blows away 90% of all the camera phones out there.

I used to have a motorola and its UI was laggy as hell, it would take nearly a second at times to register a command. the UI on the w810 is one of the best out there

Aug 29, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 45
I suppose I'll take the plunge...

Just as soon as i find some reviews on battery life playing MP3s.

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #19 of 45
w1ned has a point, if you have dedicated mp3 player with at least mediocre SQ, you will notice that the mp3 SQ on cellphones do sound quite bad in comparison... Tinny, Muffled, etc. They're also terribly buggy.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #20 of 45
Hmm, good save on the MP3 quality issue.

I've been doing a lot of research and came across this cool Samsung D900. It's a music player, too, and a slim slider phone to boot.

So really its down to Sony W810, Moto SLVR, Samsung D900.

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #21 of 45
Don't bank on the Motorola SLVR's audio quality. I've heard the SLVR L7, and it's only barely listenable... I made the mistake of trying it with my E4c's and it was harsh, very harsh, almost no improvement over the Motorola E398/ROKR E1. Same goes for it as a phone. Aging, laggy UI.

I use a Sony Ericsson W810i myself. I've got to say, for a musicphone it takes the cake... the Walkman aspect is actually VERY usable and the sound quality is up to par with Sony's flash players. One thing though is that if you can find the W800i still in stock, it's actually a much better built phone (though with a smaller screen) and has a camera shutter. It's actually smaller than it looks in pictures, too. As a phone it's awesome, clear, never a dropped call, UI is snappy, well organized, excellent contacts system. My olny problem with it is that the number pad keys are a little too small to text comfortably with, but then again after I lived in Japan it seems every phone here is not comfortable to text with!

I can't say anything about the Samsung. If you've got a large budget look at the Nokia N91.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 45
gonna get the w810i in a week or so, my nokia 8210 has finally given up the ghost, and i would like the option of listening to mp3's with my own headphones whilst at work without having an extra dap in my pocket that i can damage (i work for an electrician firm). will report back with my experiences as soon as i get my hands on one!. (gonna put a 2gig memory stick in it too)

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #23 of 45
One more vote for the Nokia N91. The w810i is no match for this monster. Big, but build like a tank and you do not need an adapter to use your own headphones . Standard 3.5mm jack!
And it sounds sweet with my A900ltd!

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 45
Yes, keep in mind that the N91 is a microdrive player... I'm not sure how that'll stand up to the wear and tear my cell goes through.

Also, the N91 is hundreds of dollars more expensive, is not available on contract, is larger, heavier, and has a short MP3 playback battery life.

Battery life is important, because you want to be able to listen to your tunes but ALSO have enough charge to make your calls after that.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 45
Just buy SE W810 !
blink.gif
I'm very happy with my w810
It's sound quality is very good ! (+ MegaBASS EQ
580smile.gif
)
New nice black design + 2MP camera + 512MB external memory stick + New firmware compared to older walkman phone for lowest problems !

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #27 of 45
well if you don't mind the size, w900i all the way. 470mb built in, and has an expandable memory stick pro duo slot, for up to 2gb.... 4gb makes this and all ericsson phones lag like hell, rendering it useless (and by lag.... i mean using a 100mhz processor with 1mb RAM to play something like Half Life 2... You can't even use it period).

And the w900i's swivel is spring loaded, meaning u only need to turn it about 15 degrees? and the spring does the rest... But you need to turn it back, but is quite easy depending on what hand you're using, and which way you turned it.

also, imo, the design totally blows away the w810
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J
Just buy SE W810 !
blink.gif
I'm very happy with my w810
It's sound quality is very good ! (+ MegaBASS EQ
580smile.gif
)
New nice black design + 2MP camera + 512MB external memory stick + New firmware compared to older walkman phone for lowest problems !

The sound quality isn't that great... It's really hollow and tinny compared to a dedicated player of any kind. And it can also distort some sounds too (i've tried MANY walkman phones, including the w810). But the Megabass Equalizer is superb. Doesn't distort any sound whatsoever. It makes you feel like you have an actual full size woofer stuck in your ear (depending on your headphones). Also makes the E4c's bass quite noticable... To the extent where it rivals the Super.Fi 5 pros
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #28 of 45
I have the w900i and I love it, I use it at the gym as my mp3 player. but if you're looking for something small and a little cheaper, I'd suggest the k800i.

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
I have the w900i and I love it, I use it at the gym as my mp3 player. but if you're looking for something small and a little cheaper, I'd suggest the k800i.

I have the S700i (the forerunner to the W900i) and I love the design - I was all set to get the W900i, but there were issues with supplies, and then on reading up I found some questionable reviews that kind of put me off of it a bit...

I was going to get the Nokia N91, but opted for the N80 with a 2GB mini SD, reportedly the audio isn't as good as on the N91, but for me - with the Shure E4C, whilst it is slightly hissy, the audio isn't so bad, and the 5 band EQ works quite well with no distortion, even when pushed up to maximum...

The only negative thing about this phone (maybe all phones in general at the moment!?) is that when running 320kbps AAC files, when going through the menus it can stutter - I guess I should revert to 256kbps lol.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 45
here's an alternative--a pocketpc based phone. i've read some reviews and as a portable device, the sound quality is pretty decent. i currently use another windows mobile (WM) device (axim x3i) and even on that, the volume is plenty loud and sound good enough for on the go situations. throw in a 4gb SD card and you're set. this setup works for me because i mainly use a 4 point loudspeaker surround setup at home with an onkyo receiver to drive everything. for on the go use, i'm be leaning towards a WM based device (qtek s200).
qtek-s200.jpg

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...ophet-en.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back