New cell phone + music?
Sep 6, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #31 of 45
got my w810i today.
sound is ok, not brilliant, and there are a lot of 'electronic jitter' noises too through my e4c, adding resistance solves this. (its loud!)
im not dissapointed at all, the build quality is great, and its small and comfortable. havnt tried the camera yet and probably wont use it much.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by patschreyer
Yes, keep in mind that the N91 is a microdrive player... I'm not sure how that'll stand up to the wear and tear my cell goes through.

Also, the N91 is hundreds of dollars more expensive, is not available on contract, is larger, heavier, and has a short MP3 playback battery life.

Battery life is important, because you want to be able to listen to your tunes but ALSO have enough charge to make your calls after that.

My N91 harddrive has hold up just fine, especially compared to the memorystick software/interface on my w800i/w810i. Batterylife is not much shorter then the w810i. And the sound is better by a large margin. The V2 firmware ironed out a lot of the bugs. As for price, the N91 adds proper video playback, wifi and 4Gb HD.

Want more batterylife on your cellphone? Get one of these: http://www.chargetogo.com/product.htm

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #33 of 45
I've had the following setup for the over 6+ months:
k750 + 2gb Pro Duo + Shure E4C + Volume Control (comes with E4C)

The K750 is the same phone as the W800, just has a different firmware. In the UK:

- K750 looks nicer (black)
- W800 has a better joystick, comes with 512 pro duo card and 3.5mm audio adapter, and better earphones (it's still crap).

Both are good phones with solid reception and lots of features (loudspeaker, able to play games and listen to music simultaneously, etc).

As a music phone, it has pros and cons:

+ battery life is good (excluding phone calls, it easily outlasts my ipod nano).
+ has equalizer (the presets aren't too bad)
+ convenience of carrying one thing instead of two.
+ phone is compact in comparison to other music phones.
+ i find it charges much better than my nano.

- i find the volume is too loud even at the lowest setting (hence the volume control)
- there's noticable hiss at low volumes (rectified by jacking up phone volume and counterbalancing with volume control).
- sometimes (not often) get "Failed" error message when it fails to read the memory card (which usually can only be rectified by rebooting the phone).
- user interface for music / playlists is pretty crap (i think the W800 is better than the K750 in this respect, but both come up short vs an ipod...)
- need adapter to use 3.5mm jack (you can get cheap ones off ebay which don't last long, or u can get the official Sony Ericsson adapter which costs more but is much more durable).

I've seen and played around with my friends N91, but i find it frankly way too big and heavy (it's as large as some smartphones). Despite all it's weaknesses, I think the K750 is a pretty good music phone.

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellDemon
The sound quality isn't that great... It's really hollow and tinny compared to a dedicated player of any kind. And it can also distort some sounds too (i've tried MANY walkman phones, including the w810). But the Megabass Equalizer is superb. Doesn't distort any sound whatsoever. It makes you feel like you have an actual full size woofer stuck in your ear (depending on your headphones). Also makes the E4c's bass quite noticable... To the extent where it rivals the Super.Fi 5 pros
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a SIMPLE reason why this is happening. People want long battery life, ESPECIALLY on a mobile phone used for games, messaging, calls, internet and much more. So the headphone output is life-less and lackluster, and cannot drive low impedance headphones satisfacory because of current limits, without some hiss and digital distortion especially noticeable at low volume levels. Megabass?
biggrin.gif
It sounds really horrible, but if the headphones lack bass that might fix it.
Adding a portable amp really made an enourmeous improvement, i think it does sound a good deal better than a friend's ipod 4th gen with my HD25-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Sometimes this mobile phone mp3 playback seem like it is the exact same components, just implemented differently. E.g. the N91 has much lower battery life than the w810i, but it sounds better (haven't tested it). Adding an amp to the w810i improves it greatly... coincidence?

Sep 7, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
Nokia N91 all the way, if you have the bucks.

edit: Greeetings from Finland!

He he, Scandinavia rocks!
biggrin.gif

Have you upgraded to the newest firmware? Nokia has made it possible to do it at home: http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,1522,...softwareupdate The new version 2.xx is really nice.

Sep 7, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #38 of 45
I can't recommend it enough. It has that solid ipod mini feel to it, only the sound is better. But price is a bit steep.

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #39 of 45
how abt the new motorola ROKR 2? although i dun like its casing, but its a situbale mobile compare wif 6682. and of cos, the price... its not vry expensive either...
etysmile.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the w810. horrid music capabilities, distorted bass, muddy overall, clicking noise between tracks, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellDemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w1ned has a point, if you have dedicated mp3 player with at least mediocre SQ, you will notice that the mp3 SQ on cellphones do sound quite bad in comparison... Tinny, Muffled, etc. They're also terribly buggy.

Is this with stock headphones? I'm looking at picking up the w810i as a cell phone/portable source (I do 90% of my listening at home, so that's what I'm not really after an iPod or other full-fledged DAP), but SQ is a little unsettling. How's the sound with higher end headphones (SR60/MS1, etc.)?

Have either of you tried pairing the phone with an amp?

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #41 of 45
samsung blackjack anyone? im planning to pick one of these up at the end of the month (hopefully)

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this with stock headphones? I'm looking at picking up the w810i as a cell phone/portable source (I do 90% of my listening at home, so that's what I'm not really after an iPod or other full-fledged DAP), but SQ is a little unsettling. How's the sound with higher end headphones (SR60/MS1, etc.)?

Have either of you tried pairing the phone with an amp?

The W810i's SQ is not that bad. My Creative Zen Vision:M is definitely better, but the W810i is not bad. Compared to low-end flash players, it fares pretty well actually. The problem is that the output impedance of it is a bit high for many portable headphones, and that causes an audible hiss in low-impedance headphones. Plugging it into an amp or just using an inline volume control or attenuator will help this. Or even just using headphones with a higher impedance (maybe 40 ohms or so). I get no hiss at all with my Koss KSC-75 and Sony MDR-E829V (which is only 16 ohms, but has an inline volume control) and there are reports on HowardForums that using an inline attenuator has helped the hiss with other models of headphones.

I just got my W810i on Thursday from a SonyStyle store and really like the thing. It is my first new non-smartphone in over a year and does just what I need and does it well. Considering how much they packed into this tiny phone, it is amazing how much they got right on it. The camera takes quite acceptable pictures for a phone, the user-interface is fast and easy to use, there are a lot of customization options, the music player works well, and the phone comes in a complete package with all the basic stuff you need to use this phone for a music player. My biggest gripe is actually that transfers to the phone are very slow, and a memory card reader is pretty much a necessity to transfer music to the memory card unless you have a lot of patience. This phone gets almost universally good ratings from users and reviewers and that's because Sony Ericsson got a lot right with it.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #43 of 45
Read a test of the w810i. Battery life when playing mp3 was 25 hrs+! Beats most mp3 players! Sound is ok, actually preferable to my Zen Nano plus.

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #44 of 45
How come no one mentions the W950i ? I find it really good....

Dec 11, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come no one mentions the W950i ? I find it really good....

The W810i is much more readily available to those in the U.S. and Canada compared to the W950i, and much more useful to them since the W810i has the 850MHz band that the W950i lacks. The W810i is available through at least a couple of major wireless carriers, Cingular and Rogers, which makes it even more readily available. The W950i is well-rated on sound quality and the fact that it is running UIQ makes it even more useful since there are lots of UIQ apps available. But the already mentioned lack of the 850 band, its lack of a camera (surprising omission on an entertainment device), and its high price will keep it out of a good number of people's hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back