New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works
Jan 17, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #136 of 566
uh oh the natives are getting restless and starting the name game again...quick post some specs or pics to distract them...
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #139 of 566
Any news on the development of the AMP ?  
biggrin.gif

Question : Is there still plan for a DAC inside the AMP ?   ( IMO the DAC part is not the priority. What we really need is an outstanding AMP part to be used with those DAP.)

Also, we will be very interested to know why you decided not to go balanced. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #140 of 566
Yes, news. The analog amps have been brought up successfully. Now the engineering team is bringing up the digital sections and associated power supplies. So far so good.

There is a DAC. It will be in the first version.

Why not balanced? Well, the analog section consists of two custom designed discrete amplifiers. NO CHIPS. This is why early listeners thought the amp section sounded so good.

And even though they are all SMD, they still take up more space than chip outputs. This means that, with the other elements that are packaged into the box, there is only room for two amplifiers. Even with this, the engineering team has done a brilliant job of fitting everything into the box on two stacked boards. Part of the long time taken has been fitting it altogether, including the display.

I can't speak for how you all will make comparisons, but I hope you will find that two discrete amps will perform as well or maybe better than four chip amps.
smile.gif

As you know, I want to hear the final combo too to see if this has been achieved.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #145 of 566
subbed

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #146 of 566
" There is a DAC. It will be in the first version."

--> another version planed ? :). Without DAC ?

" with the other elements that are packaged into the box, there is only room for two amplifiers."

- So... Drop the DAC ( where is not your value added expertise) and you "may" have enough room for Balanced Amp ? :wink:

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #149 of 566
Hope it's not too late, but I put together a list months ago when I saw there would be a contest on the Cavalli "other stuff" page. I didn't realize the contest already started :frowning2: Anyway, here are my names:

Liquid motion ( fluid sound)
Liquid Mercury
Liquid Light (small portable Cavalli)
Liquid stealth ( small and silent)
Liquid ghost ( transparent)
Liquid ink (cavalli black)
Liquid oxygen ( rocket fuel)
Liquid phantom (transparent sound)
Liquid neutrino ( small size)

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm sure some of these have already been used, so sorry for any duplicates :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #150 of 566
Judging by the post and the URL provided on the first post, I don't think the contest is out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back