New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
May 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #556 of 789
Hi. If there is continued interest in the LG there will be future production runs. The last two amps are available for someone who wants a great amp and very reasonable price. There is no other headphone amp that I know which can roll so many different types of tubes. :)

May 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #558 of 789
No reason you shouldn't be able to. The heater supply is overspec'd so no qualms there. The rest of the operating points looks like it will operate at similar voltages to the other noval 6sn7 tube types which is again fair game.

I will look out for a pair myself and try them, they seem to be well liked / regarded on DIYA.

If you do try , lets us know how they sound.

..dB 

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #559 of 789
I've been away from Head-Fi and DIY stuff for a couple of years.  It's good to see Alex still around and churning out great stuff.  I haven't kept up with it all, but there's lots of cool features in here.  This reminds me of an evolution of the mythical Stacker 2 amp.  Good luck with everything!  If I had the money, I would buy one.

Has the buffer topology been disclosed?  38 pages is an awful lot to read.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #560 of 789
I was very lucky to buy a pair of [size=x-small]MULLARD ECC32 valves (brown bases)[/size] and want to be very sure I will use them correct on the LG.
According a data sheet I found on internet (Mullard double triode ECC32) the heater voltage Vh is 6.3V and maximum plate voltage Va max is 300V (Va = 250V).
Just want to double check here if this is the correct data sheet and that the setting on the LG should be 6.3V and 300V.
Maybe it would be an idea to create an overview of the most popular tubes and their Vh and Va for dummies like me?

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #561 of 789
Chris Martens has come out with a glowing review in the newest HiFi Plus for the LG

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/cavalli-audio-liquid-glass-hybrid-valvesolid-state-headphone-amplifierpreamplifier/

I won't post the whole thing here, but suffice to say he likes it.  A few choice paragraphs:

Quote:

In the end, the Liquid Glass is all about giving listeners sonic options. During my listening tests I tried the six valve types cited above and the honest truth is that, through the Liquid Glass, each had certain distinctive sonic benefits to offer, meaning there really was no sonically ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ choice. Like a fair and impartial judge, the amp effortlessly revealed different aspects of the music that one valve type (or brand) might handle better than another. This ability to look honestly and deeply into the mysteries of musical textures, timbres, transient sounds, and dynamics is what makes the Liquid Glass so special and, frankly, so endlessly entertaining.

Quote:

... for listeners who value the musical quest as much as the ultimate destination, the Liquid Glass stands as an open invitation to explore and to savour. It is without a doubt one of the finest hybrid headphone amplifiers yet made, and one that demands an audition from those who seek the best.

Congratulations on the accolades to the team at CA.  Well deserved.  Now if you have any spare LL Mk2s around that I can take off your hands... o wait, that's another thread.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #562 of 789
Quote:
I was very lucky to buy a pair of [size=x-small]MULLARD ECC32 valves (brown bases)[/size] and want to be very sure I will use them correct on the LG.
According a data sheet I found on internet (Mullard double triode ECC32) the heater voltage Vh is 6.3V and maximum plate voltage Va max is 300V (Va = 250V).
Just want to double check here if this is the correct data sheet and that the setting on the LG should be 6.3V and 300V.
Maybe it would be an idea to create an overview of the most popular tubes and their Vh and Va for dummies like me?

yes , these are the correct settings. 

and thanks smeckles , hadn't seen this review ..dB

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #563 of 789
Thanks smeckles for the link.

Now that LG owners had more time to play with tubes. I know I asked before already. Is there any good tube recommendations for an LCD-3 and akg k701?

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #567 of 789
Question on a pair of new Shuguang Treasure premium tubes CV181-Z
When I switch on the LG before the tubes warm up the left Shuguang light ip for a second.
The bottom on the left tube glow for less than a second almost like a lightbulb. After this, the tube behave like a 'normal' tube.
Is this normal?
Settings are Heater Voltage 6.3V Plate Voltage 300V.

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #568 of 789
Quote:
When I switch on the LG before the tubes warm up the left Shuguang light ip for a second. The bottom on the left tube glow for less than a second almost like a lightbulb. After this, the tube behave like a 'normal' tube.
Is this normal? Settings are Heater Voltage 6.3V Plate Voltage 300V.

Settings are correct and this can be normal. It is more common in NOS tubes, no reason new production tubes shouldn't do the same thing. no damage is being done and the tube should continue functioning normally. This is different from a tube that is arcing , which is always bad. Arcing is small sparks that flash from plate to grid or anywhere really - will affect sound and on the LG , the output should be disconnected by the protection circuitry

..dB

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #570 of 789
Good news! The LG was such a hit, there is a second production run in the works right now. It will be represented at RMAF, and shipping shortly after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back