New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Dec 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #286 of 789
I love the pile of glass! Congrats!

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #287 of 789
I love the pile of glass! Congrats!

Thanks! It sounds great so far (as a preamp too). I'm not quite sure yet if it will beat my Modwright SWL9.0se as a preamp or not. I'll hopefully have time to eventually set up a shoot-out with my other preamps and headphone amps. I think I'll be able to get some more intensive time in this weekend.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #288 of 789
Dave are those the medications you had for the waiting on the LG?
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #289 of 789
Dave are those the medications you had for the waiting on the LG? :D

Ha! No, I'd like to think I stayed pretty even-keeled and patient with the wait. I've started to collect pill bottles from anyone who I know who's on regular prescriptions (I rarely take any medication myself). They make great replacements for tube boxes that break down.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #290 of 789
I just received my LG last night (black front panel version) and it's one solid piece of amp. Build quality wise it completely blows away anything that Cavalli has put out to date, and I absolutely love the minimalist approach they took with case design and lettering. Santa also called and wanted his Christmas tree back, so the LG is refreshingly free of blinkenlights, with only three LED indicators (two of which are multi-color to provide startup feedback) which are all white once the amp is fully on. Even these LEDs are tastefully concealed behind the front panel, something which I love. What I don't particularly care for is their brightness, and, while they're not intense enough to blind a pilot on final approach a mile away, I still feel like I have to look away when in front of the unit. This, so far, is the only thing I can take away from the LG, which, being the nitpicker that I am, is speaking volumes - once again, I am enthralled by this new amp.

Sound wise, I had very little time to listen, and so I can't offer any competent impressions yet. To follow at some point.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #292 of 789
Oh, so you're still thinking of going with a dynamic amp? I guess you can ignore my PM then.

I'll take some photos tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:
Congrats Nick.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the black one when you get a chance?  I was thinking of going with that color but haven't yet seen photos of it.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #293 of 789
The black unit is gorgeous. I imagine it'd look even better with some black glass sexiness.

I can tell you that Alex did everything he could to make those LEDs less bright. :D

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #294 of 789
So far I've listened with my Mr Speakers Mad Dogs and the HE-6 (using the LG as a headphone amp and as a preamp for my speaker amp).  I have done too much rolling, but here's the list of tubes that have graced the amp so far: stock EH 6SN7, Kenrad NOS 6SN7, Psvane CV181, and a pair of Siemens E288CC (the E288CC is essentially a tall-bottle 6DJ8). 

The Siemens were a little too bright for the HE-6, but sounded absolutely stunning with the Mad Dogs.

The Psvane CV181 (definitely different from the Shuguang treasures) sounded really good with the HE-6.  I'm probably going to continue to burn these in after I have some general tube-rolling fun this weekend.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #295 of 789
Quote:
I just received my LG last night (black front panel version) and it's one solid piece of amp. Build quality wise it completely blows away anything that Cavalli has put out to date, and I absolutely love the minimalist approach they took with case design and lettering. Santa also called and wanted his Christmas tree back, so the LG is refreshingly free of blinkenlights, with only three LED indicators (two of which are multi-color to provide startup feedback) which are all white once the amp is fully on. Even these LEDs are tastefully concealed behind the front panel, something which I love. What I don't particularly care for is their brightness, and, while they're not intense enough to blind a pilot on final approach a mile away, I still feel like I have to look away when in front of the unit. This, so far, is the only thing I can take away from the LG, which, being the nitpicker that I am, is speaking volumes - once again, I am enthralled by this new amp.

Sound wise, I had very little time to listen, and so I can't offer any competent impressions yet. To follow at some point.

Congrats Nick! BTW, what cans are you using with the LG?

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #297 of 789
Quote:
Gentlemen, this is an unexpected update for the LG.

One or two of you have noticed a hum from your new LGs. I have not, so far, been able to determine the cause of this, but careful listening with high sensitivity headphones to the LGs that are currently burning in says that some of them have this hum. Until I determine the cause I cannot propose a fix.

For those of you who are waiting for amps (which is just a few of you) I am not going to ship them this week. I will contact you separately.

For those of you who have gotten your LGs, please listen for this possible hum. If you hear it please let me know.

I will absolutely assure each of you that if this problem cannot be solved I will refund your full purchase price.

Alex Cavalli
Cavalli Audio

I just received my unit on 12/24 but because of the holiday and work, I have not even unboxed it yet.  For those of you who might have this issue, does it seem to be tube or headphone dependent?  When I get home tonight I will unbox and give the LG a listen, but I am hoping the hum won't be there.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #298 of 789
I talked to Alex about this hum, it was present on both my 6sn7, stock EH and Mullard ECC32.  But it was not present on Siemens 12au7 silver plate or Marconi B36.  Gonna test some more, could have been a burn-in issue?  Enjoying my LG immensely with the Marconis.  Just hope when the Mullards go back they dont exhibit the hum anymore.  Right now not using my regular system since I left for the holidays and had Alex deliver it to my family in NY where Im staying.  Using my cellphone with a crappy cable 1/8" to rca from monoprice. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #299 of 789
This is a update in my case only.  The hum is no more with the LG.  Tried it with the stock EH and ECC32 again and now I can say without a doubt there is no hum
like when I first used them.  It was likely burn-in in my case. 

So if Alex you are reading this now the hum that first exhibited with my LG now is gone.  Maybe this is a isolated incident to those couple of new owners? 

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #300 of 789
I also had this hum with stock and 7308. Adds a bit of hum to my speakers. And some with lcd3 and he-6.

It also kept tripping to safe mode when using as preamp. I shipped it back to Alex to check ir out while on vacation. Hopefully everything is fine and I get it back quickly after vacation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back