New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Aug 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #601 of 789
Don't worry about it Eric, I don't think the amp is @ fault.  I have not tried to measure the voltages yet (where would u put the pins anyway with a multi-meter?).  I really think there is something fishy with the tubes he sent me especially since 1 came out the box looking like that already. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #602 of 789
You might want to consider investing in a tube tester if you think you'll be rolling tubes on a frequent bases. The price of my tester paid for itself after receiving various bad tubes on numerous occasions.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #603 of 789
Quote:
Don't worry about it Eric, I don't think the amp is @ fault.  I have not tried to measure the voltages yet (where would u put the pins anyway with a multi-meter?).  I really think there is something fishy with the tubes he sent me especially since 1 came out the box looking like that already. 

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet it was batch of bad tubes. Like I said I didn't have any problem swapping in any of the tubes I tried, so I don't think the amp is faulty. Testing the voltage plates can be tricky since they all can be wired different. The best thing to do is to contact Alex and let him know what is going on. He will be able to better explain and troubleshoot the problem. He will also be able to tell you where to place the contacts of the multi-meter. 

+1 grand on the tubes being the culprit 
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #604 of 789
I was almost sure but now I'm positive.  I contacted Alex as to know which pts to measure the heater voltage enough, sure enough, the amp is holding a 6.27v potential there like it should.  There was definitely something wrong with those tubes, I have sent them back to Mark for examining.  After he calmed down with the initial finger pointing he was willing to take care of the issue and work out a compromise.  And because of that, I ended up buying more 6sn7 tubes from him.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #606 of 789
Quote:
You might want to consider investing in a tube tester if you think you'll be rolling tubes on a frequent bases. The price of my tester paid for itself after receiving various bad tubes on numerous occasions.

This might be something to think about for sure.  I'd have to investigate and dealing with ebay folks with shady feedback you'd never know....but a lot of times those are the only holders of the good rare vintage NOS stuff.....I found tubemuseum (Mark) because of their stellar review on ebay.  Wasn't so happy with the initial finger pointing and blaming game but I think he honestly doesn't think there's anything wrong with his tubes.....but like anything stuff happens and who knows what circumstances outside his control happened on those tubes.  I'm glad he's taking care of the issues now though and resolving our transaction, but I did report my findings back to him to have him do his share of investigation too.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #607 of 789
Quote:
I was almost sure but now I'm positive.  I contacted Alex as to know which pts to measure the heater voltage enough, sure enough, the amp is holding a 6.27v potential there like it should.  There was definitely something wrong with those tubes, I have sent them back to Mark for examining.  After he calmed down with the initial finger pointing he was willing to take care of the issue and work out a compromise.  And because of that, I ended up buying more 6sn7 tubes from him.

Quote:
I had a tube on the right channel literally almost pop and crack (it was a very bad tube)

Stories like this just remind me why I'm glad as an old tube guy to be wholly with solid state amps. If I had a nickel for every time one of these stories popped up in my own life, I likely could afford a very nice tube amp. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #608 of 789
At least this one had a decent ending.....the seller tubemuseum/Mark is taking care of me thus far and called me personally to discuss.  I appreciate his candor and know he didn't have any ill intentions.....everything should be all tied up next week, he's sent replacement for a pair of the tubes and will refund me the other pair. 

I know what you mean though Macedonianhero, I have the Liquid Glass and the GS-X on build right now......and I want to probably add another amp to the stack....I'm thinking of throwing out the tube amp choices I had, maybe the LAu instead.  Now to save my pennies.....=D

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #611 of 789
Yeah it was misspelled:

http://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=product_details&pId=1

Taking deposits now for the 2nd run of the Liquid Glass......after having some time with it now, I try to find every opportunity possible to listen to it.  It's been a great match with my Metrum Hex with the HD800 and HE-6.....after listening more intently with the Tungsol 6sn7 and Ken Rad vt231/6sn7.....I cannot take off the HD800 now hah where as before I'd avoid it in favor of my Audeze phones.  Amazing amp.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #612 of 789
Man....listening to some 6sn7's with my DAC (Metrum Hex) broken in the LIquid Glass is an absolute blast/blessing.  I haven't had this fun with music in a long time with all the tube rolling heh.  Rolled in the 12sn7 Hytron CBS today and.......VERY PLEASANTLY surprised.  Great clarity and just has an effortless air around the music with the HD800, exquisite.  So impressed immediately bought another pair off ebay....can't believe how cheap these tubes are and how nice they sound on the Liquid Glass.  Thanks for the heads up Greed and db.

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #613 of 789
Gents, just FYI to everyone who is paying attention to this thread. The Liquid Glass production run 2 started shipping a few weeks ago. Now that the first set of pre-orders has been cleared out the amps will be in stock starting the week of Dec 23 (yeah, I know, a little late for Christmas).

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #614 of 789
Hi guys, 

I am just wondering which voltage should I set for phillip miniwatt 12au7, 200 or 300. I checked out the datasheet, but I could not find any information for this setting. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back