New Cans
Jan 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

roran1234

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I really liked my Grado 225i's when I fist got them but now i'm bored; and i'm embarrassed to say that in some ways I actually prefer my Panasonic  RP-HTX7's :O

They're crisp but I just don't enjoy them, even after taking really long breaks from them, I have started listening to alot of bass heavy music however, The Chemical brothers, reggae, Moby, though I listen to everything under the sun and I really do mean everything. I find that the grado's are great for music which is made with instruments, jazz, classical, indie rock etc That's where they shine, but for electronica, hip hop, reggae they'd fall flat on their face if they had one.

So what should I do?????????? When getting these cans I was recommended some AKG's I can't remember the model.

The Grado's have me sometimes switching for my panasonics, and other times I can't take em off especially with vinyl.

The best way to describe what I want is: You know when you listen to something and it sounds so good you almost feel it physically? well that's what I want haha The Grado's used to do it but not so much anymore, but the panasonics do it, not everytime I used them but they do it, I've had them for the last 3 years, I've used them nearly everyday as I take them to school with me.

Ideas? 

Perhaps a new set of cans in the same price range.

Thanks,
Roran

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 13
You will probably want to look at the DT770 and DT990. Maybe the Denon D2000.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 13
Bumped twice on the same day as the thread was created?

Someone doesn't have any patience...

Sounds like the Denon D2000 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 might suit you.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Well, much of it does depend on your own preferences.  There are lines as to which headphones are "better" in a technical sense, but they're quite blurry indeed.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Hi all,

I really liked my Grado 225i's when I fist got them but now i'm bored; and i'm embarrassed to say that in some ways I actually prefer my Panasonic  RP-HTX7's :O

They're crisp but I just don't enjoy them, even after taking really long breaks from them, I have started listening to alot of bass heavy music however, The Chemical brothers, reggae, Moby, though I listen to everything under the sun and I really do mean everything. I find that the grado's are great for music which is made with instruments, jazz, classical, indie rock etc That's where they shine, but for electronica, hip hop, reggae they'd fall flat on their face if they had one.

So what should I do?????????? When getting these cans I was recommended some AKG's I can't remember the model.

The Grado's have me sometimes switching for my panasonics, and other times I can't take em off especially with vinyl.

The best way to describe what I want is: You know when you listen to something and it sounds so good you almost feel it physically? well that's what I want haha The Grado's used to do it but not so much anymore, but the panasonics do it, not everytime I used them but they do it, I've had them for the last 3 years, I've used them nearly everyday as I take them to school with me.

Thanks,
Roran

To some extent, that feeling you get is the result of novelty--the thrill of most headphones (especially in that price range) are bound to wear off eventually.

That said, there are some you can get in that price range that might just work for you.  Instead of the DT770, I might recommend either the DT150 or DT250.  The DT150 has monstrous bass, an uncommonly wide sound stage for closed headphones, and a nice sparkle in the high end.  The DT250 is more intimate, more detailed, and has a more neutral bass signature.  Both reach down deep, and both only require moderate amping to sound fantastic.

If you can amp them, the Ultrasone Pro 750 was also one of the best headphones I've ever had that sounded good with any style of music.  They are really cold sounding, but once they are Kees modded, they have detail, clarity, punch, imaging... all of it.  That lack of the warmth in the midrange ended up bugging me once I got into orthos, but there was a time that they could have been my only headphones.

The problem with Grado is that everything you use them with sounds, well, Gradofied. Lots of midrange, brightness that's rolled off at the very top... as you said, for a few songs here and there it's completely perfect.  For everything else, it takes away from the music (I know not everyone feels this way, but you and I seem on the same page).  I tend to like really neutral headphones, because they let the music play through on their own, but if you like some bass thump or a bit of extra sparkle, the goal is to find something that will work for you.  For your particular needs, though, I can't think of any AKG that I could recommend.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks guys,

I think my next move is to go and audition some of these cans, I have to decide on either new headphones, new speakers or a new amp, seeing as i'm traveling soon (I'm a student, well after traveling I will be).....but then again these headphones need to be amped
confused.gif
 What to do? What to do indeed.

Thanks,
Ollie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back