New cans soon: GS1000, HE500, or LCD2
Jan 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

waldoh74

New Head-Fier
Currently looking to make a new setup for myself here soon and looking to get myself some new headphones shortly after and looking for something new to listen to.

I will most likely be buying Littledot MKIII for my amp and a Littledot DAC I.

I currently have some Grado 325i that I absolutely love and listen to via ASUS Xonar STX with FLAC for my music.

I mostly listen to heavy metal (Iced Earth, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, etc).

I've been looking a lot at other peoples threads and have landed upon these as my top contenders. Any inputs or suggestions? I've also considered picking up some RS1i's and getting a Schiit Bifrost/Valhalla combo. I really like the idea of a tube amp, and it will be my first one. I understand that the Grados don't need much in terms of amping, so that's why I was looking at the LD stuff originally and have read that they will easily drive the HE500 if I choose to go that route. But I'm not sure about the Audeze, plus I will need to save a little longer for those.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 5
I havent tried GS1000 or HE500, but the LCD-2 is on my head as i type this.
I have owned it since may, and when people say it creeps under your skin, they are not kidding. I like it more and more the more I use it!

I think the LCD-2 is absolutely glorious, but there are some things you should be aware of before you buy it!
  • It is not for you if you like clear, sparkly highs. LCD-2 is very smooth, and the highs are not at all sparkly. Some people don't understand the audeze-craze because of this.
  • It is not for bassheads. The bass is well controlled, goes super low, and can be an absolute treat. But if you are a basshead you might find it a little boring, as it does not have a lot of slam. (It does not strictly lack bass, it's just not a punchy headphone.)
  • It is heavy. Though not directly uncomfortable, the LCD-2 is pretty heavy and has made me want a lighter pair of headphones for my next purchase. I can use them all day without problems, but I do think about it sometimes. I used HE-400 before I got the LCD-2, and the comfort/weight of the two headphones is very similar, so this might be true for HE-500 aswell; I don't know.

With all that said, I still think LCD-2 is great. It is smooth and warm so you can use it all day without fatigue. I don't regret buying it.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Hmmm, I do like highs.  But I have read a lot of good things about them in general.  I do want to get them eventually but realistically I may have to wait on them, simply due to price and space constraints.  Plus I think I need get a strong amp for those maybe?  

I'm almost leaning more towards the HE500, mostly because I already own a pair of Grados and I am certainly looking for something difference but still aggressive.

I still have time to think it over yet.  I'm in no rush.  I'm not a bass head by any means, but I do enjoy some heavy bassy songs on occassion.  For those days I do have my AT A900's.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 5
Don't misunderstand, the LCD-2 bass is not boring. That was a bad way to put it.
The bass is really really really good; it's just not a basshead headphone with tons of slammy, punchy mid-bass.

While they are not sparkly or super clear, the highs are very comfortable and smooth. If you're into metal, that might not be such a bad thing; don't know.

Right now I think they are even more uncomfortable than in my last post, though. I'm yearning for some much lighter cans.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 5
So after doing about 5 more hours of research online, I think I'm going to go for the HE-500.  Something different from what I have now and I am reading numerous reviews that are nothing but positive.  Since I will need to be getting a new DAC/AMP setup I will have to hold off on the LCD2 for now.  The next question is; what to get for my DAC/AMP to drive these things since I am reading that they do need a decent amount of juice to run properly.  I'm reading that LD MKIII should do the trick, but still not convinced on that end just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back