New Can's for ~$1000-$1200
Jun 27, 2011 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
I'm looking to purchase some new cans.
As far as sound signature goes, I like a very balanced sound signature with a slight bump in the lower-mid to low end (I am not a basshead so please don't recommend Beats or similar).

I would be currently driving them off an RSA SR71B while I start to invest in a desktop setup.

My price range as stated is around $1000-$1200USD max. From what I'm reading the front runners seem to be either the Audez'e LCD-2 or the Hifiman HE-6's. Although am open to any suggestions. HE-500's?

Having never heard either, and not having the anywhere in Melbourne that I can try to 2 out, I'm after a few impression.
I like to listen to Rock, Metal mainly, but I do love concert piano and symphonies. So it's ability to reproduce a large soundstage, and not be overpoweringly bassy is a must.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 9
For a budget that large, I doubt anyone would recommend Beats cans
tongue_smile.gif

Perhaps you should take this thread in the high-end section? But from what I've read, the LCD-2's are definitely something considering. Look at the flagships from Ultrasone, Beyer etc. Edition 10 looks the business.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 9
We're basicly in the same boat here. Even music wise(metal, rock).

Have you though of the T1? Heard its good for rock and metal and has a good soundstage.
I Can not recommend anyting but will follow this thread closely :)

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
For a budget that large, I doubt anyone would recommend Beats cans
tongue_smile.gif

Perhaps you should take this thread in the high-end section? But from what I've read, the LCD-2's are definitely something considering. Look at the flagships from Ultrasone, Beyer etc. Edition 10 looks the business.

Cheers MetroBBoy,
I get that Beats are a fair amount cheaper, but they are the style of over-powered bass I want to avoid.
I wasn't sure if $1000 cans was considered 'Summit-Fi' enough, :)

The flagship Ultrasone's are a little out of my price range at around $2000 for the Edition 10's.
Anyone recommend the Beyerdynamics T1's? I'm currently leaning towards the HE-6's, but not having heard any of them, I'm really hoping I can get some feedback before jumping in on this one.

Quote:
We're basicly in the same boat here. Even music wise(metal, rock).

Have you though of the T1? Heard its good for rock and metal and has a good soundstage.
I Can not recommend anyting but will follow this thread closely :)

Good to see another Head-Fi metal fan :)
The T1 does look interesting. I hadn't seen it yet to be honest. Cheers for pointing it out.
I hope that we both get some good conclusions to this thread. :)

Should I move this to Summit-Fi?

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Ultrasone Edition 9, Denon D7000, Grado GS1000i, ALO recabled K701 and W5000.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 9, Denon D7000, Grado GS1000i, ALO recabled K701 and W5000.

Cheers, but any chance you can go into some detail? This doesn't really tell me much, The Ultrasone Edition9's are well above the listed price range, do the Denon D7000's or the ALO recabled K701's compare to phones in the above listed price range (would love to save money, but these are much cheaper and would think there's a reason for that) and the Grado's and Audio Technica's are in the price range listed, but can you tell my anything about them? Why do you recommend them? How do they compare to the HE-6's for instance.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 9
If you are driving the cans off of the rsa sr71, you probably dont want the he6. From your description, I would go with the HE-500. They have a slight mid bass hump that doesnt affect the mid range. The mids and highs are very liquid and smooth. The overall sound signature is quite balanced. It sounds like they would be a perfect match. The lcd2 arent quite as balanced. The highs are shelved which can make the mids and bass really stand out. They are very good though. Lush rich mids. Great for vocals.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
If you are driving the cans off of the rsa sr71, you probably dont want the he6. From your description, I would go with the HE-500. They have a slight mid bass hump that doesnt affect the mid range. The mids and highs are very liquid and smooth. The overall sound signature is quite balanced. It sounds like they would be a perfect match. The lcd2 arent quite as balanced. The highs are shelved which can make the mids and bass really stand out. They are very good though. Lush rich mids. Great for vocals.

Thanks for the input KingStyles! The HE-500 does look like a good option and from what you have described they could be very near what I'm after. And I'd save a few $$'s at sub $1,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back