New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #287 of 602
Difference when swapping opamps inside PLAYMATE are way more subtle then it used to be inside PLAY. That is probably due to a higher quality power rails and a better PCB implementation.
Do you think basic Ne5532 is good choice considering the difference of price with V6 opamp?thank you

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #288 of 602
Difference when swapping opamps inside PLAYMATE are way more subtle then it used to be inside PLAY. That is probably due to a higher quality power rails and a better PCB implementation.
Have you tried it also through the line-out?
I have the Play with the V6 Classics and when tested with different headphones, there was a difference to the stock op-amps but not so overwhelming as with using the Play as a dac feeding an external amp. When connected to a power amp feeding the floor-standers, the difference in the resolution and the soundstage was really quite impressive.

Now I still have my Playmate with the stock config and contemplating upgrading the op-amps. Do you think the difference is a way more subtle with the Playmate even when used as a source to the external amp?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #289 of 602
I only used headphones + my ears and ARTA measurements. With PLAY differences when swapping opamps was impressive, with PLAYMATE is more subtle. BTW, when A/B-ing between CV2+ and PLAYMATE it was impossible to find a winner, at least with Disco-Pop music.

Maybe I'll try with speakers too...I'll see. However, PLAYMATE sounds great, no matter what.

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #290 of 602
Do you think basic Ne5532 is good choice considering the difference of price with V6 opamp?thank you
It all depends of the money you want to invest. It's easy for me to speak now, because I have the Everest version, but I only see 2 valid options here:
- get PLAYMATE basic is you're looking to save some budget
- get the PLAYMATE with V6 opamps and, worst case scenario, if you think the sound difference between JRC5532DD and V6 Classic/Vivid does not worth the price difference, just sell the opamps or use them in a different audio equipment.

V6 are completely solid-state and completely oriented to audio-use, I personally like the idea of not having opamp-chips in the signal path, but I'm aware of the price paid for this to happen.

P.S.: For PLAYMATE, I find V6 Classic a better match than V6 Vivid in the I/V stage, while on the voltage-gain stage maybe Vivid would match better (although, it's kinda tie...very difficult to say without proper A/B test).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #291 of 602
It all depends of the money you want to invest. It's easy for me to speak now, because I have the Everest version, but I only see 2 valid options here:
- get PLAYMATE basic is you're looking to save some budget
- get the PLAYMATE with V6 opamps and, worst case scenario, if you think the sound difference between JRC5532DD and V6 Classic/Vivid does not worth the price difference, just sell the opamps or use them in a different audio equipment.

V6 are completely solid-state and completely oriented to audio-use, I personally like the idea of not having opamp-chips in the signal path, but I'm aware of the price paid for this to happen.

P.S.: For PLAYMATE, I find V6 Classic a better match then V6 Vivid in the I/V stage, while on the voltage-gain stage maybe Vivid would match better (although, it's kinda tie...very difficult to say without proper A/B test).
Ok. Clear like water. Reaaly thanks. I think i"ll go to v6

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #292 of 602
Get a Basic and 2 pairs of V6 - Vivids and Classics.
You can swap Classics and Vivids to see what sound you like better.

Seems they decreased a bit the price for V6 version - from 699 to 649 USD.
It was cheaper before to get separate components and basic Playmate

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #293 of 602
If i'm right most important is opamp in I/V stage?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #295 of 602
You men from Romania saved my life, so one more question if possible. Vivid or classic in I/V stage?
In the past i had the v5i dual on tje xduoo dac/amp. I think was good but it is still classic opamp

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #297 of 602
I also vote for Classic in I/V and Vivid in Buffer/Gain.
However that's the funny part in the Playmate - if you get 2 Classics and 2 Vivids you can easily try both combinations as Playmate uses 4 dual op-amps. Easy to swap and listen.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #298 of 602
I also vote for Classic in I/V and Vivid in Buffer/Gain.
However that's the funny part in the Playmate - if you get 2 Classics and 2 Vivids you can easily try both combinations as Playmate uses 4 dual op-amps. Easy to swap and listen.
Right. But @raoultrifan and you pratically confirm the everest combination LOL.
Honestly i don't have time and patience to try and swap opamp. I believe in your opinion. Only i don't understand why everest is 100 dollars more expensive. I'll try to ask to burson black version with two classic and two vivid.
Really thanks for your advice

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #299 of 602
Well... the Everest combination is the result of comments from the Play thread. Many users liked it.
I've ordered my Play in December 2017 with this combination ( Vivid with Classics in I/V ) by "accident" - due to an error in their schematics. It was a blind order, but the sound was so good...
They sent me later also a Vivid to swap and compare. Sound was ok, but I've returned to the first combination and keep it until today.

About the price - Everest is considered a special version - Op-AMP mix, plus silver color.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #300 of 602
[...] Only i don't understand why everest is 100 dollars more expensive. [...]

The silver version costs 100 USD more, nothing else. You need to see it and feel it to better understand the difference between black anodised and silver brushed. The silver looks luxurious, but inside it's essentially the same like the black version with 2 x V6 Classic + 2 x V6 Vivid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back