1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last
  1. Postmodum
    Yeah ... it's a big question mark why the glitches. Either way I'm in contact with Burson. At this price point we need to make sure the Playmate is working as it should.

2. Postmodum
    Latest Update ... It still had the glitches .. just took more time to show.

After talking with Burson they said they would send a new PCB and a Power brick. The Burson support is amazing and I want to say thank you to Alex and Daniel! Now i just need to wait for the delivery.

Question about the op-amps. Is it normal for the V6 work temperature to be on the warm side? How do you troubleshoot Op-amps btw?

Thank you so much for all the help guys.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  3. Eiffel
    Burson OP-AMP's are class A - they are quite warm. It's normal.
    If an OP-AMP is defective either it doesn't work at all or the sound is abnormal.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Postmodum likes this.
  4. Postmodum
    Thank you guys to "injecting" some culture into a noob :)

5. WailingBanshee
    Anyone using the playmate with USB under windows 7? I can't seem to control the volume via windows volume controls. I did install the xmos driver from the burson website if that helps. Also, no issues with the knob/remote.

6. raoultrifan
    I don't think ASIO drivers care much about the Windows volume, why don't use the rotary knob from the PLAYMATE instead? At least this is what I do all the time.

7. alota
    @raoultrifan @Eiffel in the end i have ordered the basic version for one reason. i remembered what time ago i had modified one cd player with an italian modder. he is very good and he build the circuit personalized for every electronic. the playmate has a great benefit: the two opamp for every channel are very close so i´m thinking about something different compared with a standard discrete opamp.
    so i try the basic version for some time and after i speak with the engineer

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. Postmodum
    Hey, need some help on something.

So basically i have a Playmate that will connect to the Burson Bang amp and i want to connect a sub.

I have 2 ways i guess:

a) i use a Y RCA connection from the pre-amp output that will connect to the sub line-in RCA's and to the Burson Bang ( like this http://www.nakamichiplugs.com/produ...-phone-plug-to-double-jack-connector-wrs0522/ );

b) Since the sub has the Speaker Level Input, i can add some fork connectors to the Bang speaker connections and then those connect to the Sub. ( like this: https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/3454/fisual-deluxe-insulated-banana-plugs-pack-of-2-/ )

What's your opinion about which of these methods are best?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  9. raoultrifan
    You should be able to use Y-cables to do this, especially that PLAYMATE's output buffers will be able to deal with the impedance change without worries (https://www.lifewire.com/connect-a-subwoofer-to-receiver-or-amp-3135132 worth a read too).

You could also try something like below, just make sure you don't short-circuit something there:
    [​IMG]
    (Source: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html).
    This way you should be able to connect your sub directly to BANG's output (only one channel can be used!). Or you can purchase a subwoofer that supports both Line Level and High Level inputs.

10. silverfishla
  11. alota
    Hi, i made the order monday. anyone knows how much time passes to receive some confirmation from burson? thank you

12. Onik
    Whats the FIRFILTER all about?

13. Onik
    looks good why did you mix up with classic?

14. raoultrifan
  15. Onik
    Ok I’m now using the play mate as preamp/dac for LD MK II tube amp without exceeding 82% volume on play mate.

Btw I do not even know how much input voltage max MK II can handle I couldn’t find it on the spec but it’s working fine LOL.

Edit: I just read your review about Firfilter and freq response for each setting and I find it quite interesting.

I’m not too technical but what I did understand is that you rec that leaving it at MP FAST will give me a nice FLAT Response for any kind of high end headphones i.e ATH-R70x ?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Next

Last