New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Oct 11, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #481 of 1,276
the burson has some advantages over questyle's cma600i for me. i like that it's a single ended amp design as i have no need for a balanced one, which adds complexity to the circuit. it has a smaller footprint and comes with a 5 year warranty, whereas the queststyle comes with a 12 month warranty - that's a big tick for the burson. i've also read some reports of clicking and popping noises associated with the cma600i's akm dac, which has been acknowledged by questyle, and is a bit off putting.

does anyone use their burson with low impedance cans and if so, how do you find it? its power output does look like overkill on paper for my efficient dynamics.

Thank you for the info. The clicking/popping is bit of a concern.

I own the V2+ and I'm pretty happy with it. No clicking or popping. I would like a balanced preamp and headphone amp though.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #482 of 1,276
  My backplate has the same printed writing, just the sticker is over the empty USB port (because it is a V2 not V2+) but does not show anything.

The back plate:

Inside:

So how could he tell that it is a V2?  This information would be valuable for others looking to buy used V2s.

Hi @jerick70, without opening the lid of the Conductor you can tell if is a V2 and not a V2+ because there's no USB input. 

On the V2+ the USB input is an XMOS U8 board, connected with PIN to Sabre DAC "lifted" from the amp section mounted at the base of the case. You can see black pin socket where the DAC section would connect to the Amp base board by looking at the bottom left of the pics posted by @Matias

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #483 of 1,276
I know this hasn't much to do with the conductors but I don't want to start a whole new thread for one question. I might purchase a ha-160d second hand for about 500 dollars, is this a good price for such an old piece? Hows it fair against todays amps/dac combos or the conductor itself. I was also eyeing up a oppo ha-1 for about 800. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #484 of 1,276
Yes, T1 Gen 2 and V+, work together like a dream, the V2+ really makes the T1 shine. I didn't hear the Gen 1 but the high frequencies are clean clear and detailed, with, to my admittedly older ears, absolutely no strain or grain and in no way "overdone".
Incidentally, Burson are great people to deal with, I went to them direct and delivery was quick and painless. there was a problem with the original remote, and a new one was sent out straightaway. the V2+ is still burning in, but no regrets about buying unheard, it is just to far to go and try one for me. It is a pretty neat  preamp for a main system too, light years ahead of a Lyngdorf DPA 1 it replaced.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #485 of 1,276
  Yes, T1 Gen 2 and V+, work together like a dream, the V2+ really makes the T1 shine. I didn't hear the Gen 1 but the high frequencies are clean clear and detailed, with, to my admittedly older ears, absolutely no strain or grain and in no way "overdone".
Incidentally, Burson are great people to deal with, I went to them direct and delivery was quick and painless. there was a problem with the original remote, and a new one was sent out straightaway. the V2+ is still burning in, but no regrets about buying unheard, it is just to far to go and try one for me. It is a pretty neat  preamp for a main system too, light years ahead of a Lyngdorf DPA 1 it replaced.

I can testify to Burson's excellent customer support. It's been one of the better customer experiences I've had so far.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #486 of 1,276
they've responded to my enquiries promptly and have been very helpful. i'm yet to receive a reply from questyle to my email enquiry, so that's another tick for burson. having had an abysmal customer service experience with the manufacturer of my now obsolete dac, customer support has become a very important criteria for me.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #487 of 1,276
Hi @jerick70
, without opening the lid of the Conductor you can tell if is a V2 and not a V2+ because there's no USB input. 

On the V2+ the USB input is an XMOS U8 board, connected with PIN to Sabre DAC "lifted" from the amp section mounted at the base of the case. You can see black pin socket where the DAC section would connect to the Amp base board by looking at the bottom left of the pics posted by @Matias

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #488 of 1,276
they've responded to my enquiries promptly and have been very helpful. i'm yet to receive a reply from questyle to my email enquiry, so that's another tick for burson. having had an abysmal customer service experience with the manufacturer of my now obsolete dac, customer support has become a very important criteria for me.

You can't go wrong with Burson in the customer service or audio performance realm. The fit and finish of their gear is excellent too. They are top notch all around. Very highly recommended.

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #490 of 1,276
You can't go wrong with Burson in the customer service or audio performance realm. The fit and finish of their gear is excellent too. They are top notch all around. Very highly recommended.

My experience with Bursons customer service is top notch! Alex gets back to my questions within 24 hours and sometimes within the hour! These are old school analogue guys that know what good customer services means along with good sound. I believe in their approach for making great amplification . I've listened to and owned many other amps and I keep coming back to Burson for its energy and always engaging listen. It makes me listen to the music and not the gear,

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #491 of 1,276
Hi Guys!

What can you say about the Burson V2+ as a stand alone DAC? I am looking for a partner for my Auralic Taurus MKII.

Thanks for the input and appreciate it a lot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #492 of 1,276
I'm considering buying the violectric v281 or 280 amp. How does the burson v2+ amp section compare to the violectric if the violectric is being used in balanced out mode?

The violectric 281 amp is a highly praised amp and on paper a lot more powerful than the burson if its used in balanced mode so how much of a delta will there be, if any between the two when powering 300-600 ohm senn's and beyers?

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #493 of 1,276
Hi Guys!

What can you say about the Burson V2+ as a stand alone DAC? I am looking for a partner for my Auralic Taurus MKII.

Thanks for the input and appreciate it a lot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only say that to my ear, it's much improved over the V1 Dac. I think the inclusion of the V5 opamp I. Its output stage makes up for some of the improved signature.
I find it to be very clean, open and resolute. Some may say it's on the bright side, but it's not, neutral and somewhat analog sounding. My headphones are Audeze Lcd3 and 4 along with Hifiman HE-6 and HE-1K. They all sound great via the Burson amp/Dac. The Amp/Dac combo excels with the leading edge of instruments for an engaging listen time after time.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #494 of 1,276
I'm considering buying the violectric v281 or 280 amp. How does the burson v2+ amp section compare to the violectric if the violectric is being used in balanced out mode?

The violectric 281 amp is a highly praised amp and on paper a lot more powerful than the burson if its used in balanced mode so how much of a delta will there be, if any between the two when powering 300-600 ohm senn's and beyers?

My V2+ has no problem driving my very inefficient HiFiman HE-6 and LCD-4 to listening levels that let those headphones be all they can be.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #495 of 1,276
Does any owner have experience with the V2+ that when playing DSD files the L/R channels are swapped?  PCM is fine, only DSD files are affected.  Someone with the Conductor Air is having the same problem.

For info, using Mac with Audirvana

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back