New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Nov 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #496 of 1,276

​I'm still trying to get a handle on the Sabre  DAC.  I've been comparing it with my Marantz NA11S1, and I'm not sure that I can hear much difference. To be honest,  the Burson/Marantz combination sound so good that I haven't spent much time  trying the DAC in the Burson. Also still running in, so I may have some more views in a week or so.  Anyway, in answer to your question, it sounds pretty good to me, on the basis that finding differences between it and the Marantz  may need more golden ears than I have.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #497 of 1,276
Hi Guys!

What can you say about the Burson V2+ as a stand alone DAC? I am looking for a partner for my Auralic Taurus MKII.

Thanks for the input and appreciate it a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The V2+ DAC is brilliant! i cant get enough of their sound, its very organic like with full of life!

2 negative things though;
1. I just wish they had XLR preamp out , Burson needs to start incorporating XLRs output in their DACs, not sure why they wouldnt, especially considering theyre Timekeeper amplifier has XLR input in bridged mode!!  V3 anyone ?
biggrin.gif

2. They need to fix ground/floor/hiss noise issue! Although I fixed the ground issue myself by changing the ground cable and both end connectors to make the contact much more solid, this eliminated a very annoying buzzing that came on and off randomly, it did help alot, but still though, other DAC have much quieter background noise. Really if they work on tuning these it would simply be a truly amazing DAC.

Nonetheless, even though floor/hiss noise is something that is very annoying to me, i did much comparision back and forth with other dac, and the Burson pulls me in so much more in wtv i hear, the sound is so brilliant i cant even explain why, but ill try with this; its simply effortless, organic, bass has textures, layers and everything simply sounds alive, kind of like how a fully opened flower has a crisp, fresh, organic, layered, textured and depth to the smell compared to a closed/soon to open flower that would still smell good, but is kinda dull and shallow smelling ! lol

All of that really compensate the negatives and make me forget about these issues right away, thats how glorious that thing is!

Btw anyone here ever compared the Auralic Vega or Altair to the Burson V2+ ? thoughts?

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #499 of 1,276

​I had the same noise issue at first, but quickly fixed by taking the earth off the Burson (still grounded through the RCA's of course). This just happens with some systems. I must say that with the grounding issue fixed, the noise floor is very low in my system.
I agree a balanced option would be nice, I suppose it is a question of cost.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #501 of 1,276

The V2+ DAC is brilliant! i cant get enough of their sound, its very organic like with full of life!

2 negative things though;
1. I just wish they had XLR preamp out , Burson needs to start incorporating XLRs output in their DACs, not sure why they wouldnt, especially considering theyre Timekeeper amplifier has XLR input in bridged mode!!  V3 anyone ?
biggrin.gif

2. They need to fix ground/floor/hiss noise issue! Although I fixed the ground issue myself by changing the ground cable and both end connectors to make the contact much more solid, this eliminated a very annoying buzzing that came on and off randomly, it did help alot, but still though, other DAC have much quieter background noise. Really if they work on tuning these it would simply be a truly amazing DAC.

Nonetheless, even though floor/hiss noise is something that is very annoying to me, i did much comparision back and forth with other dac, and the Burson pulls me in so much more in wtv i hear, the sound is so brilliant i cant even explain why, but ill try with this; its simply effortless, organic, bass has textures, layers and everything simply sounds alive, kind of like how a fully opened flower has a crisp, fresh, organic, layered, textured and depth to the smell compared to a closed/soon to open flower that would still smell good, but is kinda dull and shallow smelling ! lol

All of that really compensate the negatives and make me forget about these issues right away, thats how glorious that thing is!

Btw anyone here ever compared the Auralic Vega or Altair to the Burson V2+ ? thoughts?

​I had the same noise issue at first, but quickly fixed by taking the earth off the Burson (still grounded through the RCA's of course). This just happens with some systems. I must say that with the grounding issue fixed, the noise floor is very low in my system.
I agree a balanced option would be nice, I suppose it is a question of cost.

The noise issues you are having is called a ground loop.  This is not Burson's fault, it's an issue with your homes AC circuit.

I don't recommend lifting the ground on any piece of electronic equipment.  Lifting the ground can cause a serious shock hazard that can kill you or could burn down your house.

Instead of messing around with lifting the ground I use an isolation transformer like the Jensen ISO-MAX.  Much safer and fixes the problem.  You can use an alternate ground like a set of RCA cables connected to another piece of equipment that is grounded, but you still run risks.

Link to ISO-MAX - http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/ci-2rr/  

Some info on Ground Loops - http://mickpeterson.org/2014design/Info/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #502 of 1,276
has anyone reported this noise issue to burson? they should be made aware of it.

I pretty sure they are aware, probably the newest batch are fine, its not a huge deal anyways, especially when its not nearfield.

I did talk to them about it and they were really nice...  Either suggested to send it in (shipping etc) or try the jensen transformer jerick70 mentioned.

I really dindt feel like shipping it back and wait and all... so before i do anything, i researched more and thought id just check out the internals where the power cord connects area, and the ground connector was kinda flimsy, when i was just moving it a bit the buzzing was very obvious it was coming from that little wire, so i took it off (it  was very fragile, i took out the wire and realized the connector part that you crimp on the wire got stuck to the terminal, lol, so that was a real pain to take off) . Im sure there was a easier way to do it but im no pro...

Anyways i replaced it with a much more solid wire and that made the buzzing completly dissapear.

The noise issues you are having is called a ground loop.  This is not Burson's fault, it's an issue with your homes AC circuit.

I don't recommend lifting the ground on any piece of electronic equipment.  Lifting the ground can cause a serious shock hazard that can kill you or could burn down your house.

Instead of messing around with lifting the ground I use an isolation transformer like the Jensen ISO-MAX.  Much safer and fixes the problem.  You can use an alternate ground like a set of RCA cables connected to another piece of equipment that is grounded, but you still run risks.

Link to ISO-MAX - http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/ci-2rr/  

Some info on Ground Loops - http://mickpeterson.org/2014design/Info/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf

Well, part of with was the ground connector... Im not blaming Burson in any way though, i think they are awesome, its just thing that can happen... What they bring to the consumer is very affordable, high quality sound! I was just saying my opninion on small stuff that would make this product even better! if i switch DAC right now, considering everything else stays the same, the other DAC has a much darker/lower idle noise, that must say something...

Maybe anyways most people dont have this problem at all, my computer is old and noisy on top of that, i probably have a ground issue coming from that as i always hear a specific noise when a video or when i play games, ive read that some videocards and motherboard can cause some nasty feedback all the way through the usb or even the PSU is acting up which is probably what is happening with me, so that doesnt help either..

I might still try that jensen product at some point, looks like it would make a nice pitch black background noise, im just afraid it wouldnt do so and that would be 200$ wasted..

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #503 of 1,276

Well, part of with was the ground connector... Im not blaming Burson in any way though, i think they are awesome, its just thing that can happen... What they bring to the consumer is very affordable, high quality sound! I was just saying my opninion on small stuff that would make this product even better! if i switch DAC right now, considering everything else stays the same, the other DAC has a much darker/lower idle noise, that must say something...

Maybe anyways most people dont have this problem at all, my computer is old and noisy on top of that, i probably have a ground issue coming from that as i always hear a specific noise when a video or when i play games, ive read that some videocards and motherboard can cause some nasty feedback all the way through the usb or even the PSU is acting up which is probably what is happening with me, so that doesnt help either..

I might still try that jensen product at some point, looks like it would make a nice pitch black background noise, im just afraid it wouldnt do so and that would be 200$ wasted..

You can pickup the ISO-MAX on Ebay for $99.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-Transformers-CI-2RR-ISO-MAX-Stereo-Audio-Hum-Buzz-Eliminator-Isolator-/222278974507?hash=item33c0dbfc2b:g:C1YAAOSwzaJX~axr

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #504 of 1,276

You can pickup the ISO-MAX on Ebay for $99.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-Transformers-CI-2RR-ISO-MAX-Stereo-Audio-Hum-Buzz-Eliminator-Isolator-/222278974507?hash=item33c0dbfc2b:g:C1YAAOSwzaJX~axr

oh nice find!! thx

your using one? would it alter the sound quality of the Burson in any way?

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #506 of 1,276
I purchased a pair of Fostex TH 900 MK IIs today. These are by far the best headphones I've heard with my Conductor V2+. Crystal clear through out the entire audio spectrum. The delivery is vivid and breathtaking. The bass is to die for. The best bass I've heard from a headphone. I feel like I've been missing a lot in my listening sessions. I have a lot more listening to do before I make a final determination, but I'm very very impressed. This is my favorite headphone thus far.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #507 of 1,276
i have the th900 (first iteration) and agree that it's a terrific can. good to see that it pairs well with the conductor v2+.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #508 of 1,276
i have the th900 (first iteration) and agree that it's a terrific can. good to see that it pairs well with the conductor v2+.

It's really unfortunate that the TH900 isn't discussed more on Head-fi.  It's worthy of more attention.  I personally think it is a superior headphone to the other flagships out there that I've had experience with.  

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #509 of 1,276
it's been discussed a lot here actually. there's a th900 impressions and discussion thread in the high-end forum which is currently 945 pages long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back