New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Nov 10, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #512 of 1,276
A few questions:

I am current using a Burson Soloist as my pre-amp and a KingRex 384 as dac.

I am currently in Australia an thinking about acquiring the Virtuoso... 

1) Would that be an upgrade

2) What are the RCA dac outs for?

Thanks in advance!

/A

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #513 of 1,276
Dunno about the  Kingrex dac... but, i would connect the pre-out to the speakers and dac out to the sub, i tried both and somehow i feel the Pre-out has more life to the sound, Dac out sounds good aswell but more dull. I not sure why.

Im thinking the pre-out goes through an extra path and dac out is really just a straight out dac.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #514 of 1,276
A few questions:

I am current using a Burson Soloist as my pre-amp and a KingRex 384 as dac.

I am currently in Australia an thinking about acquiring the Virtuoso... 

1) Would that be an upgrade

2) What are the RCA dac outs for?

Thanks in advance!

/A

As far as the amp differences, (I owned both the Soloist and the V2+ to directly compare), the V2+ is slightly more refined sounding. Less grain. Both are energetic and engaging but ultimately, I found the V2+ A worthy upgrade. I also happen to think the built in Dac is very open and resolute. I see great deals on highly regarded dacs from time to time but I end up reasoning with myself. Why would I trade the Dac section for another when I am "always" happy with what I'm hearing thru my LCD-3&4, Hifiman He-1k and HE-6. There are no bad listening sessions with this amp/Dac and I listen just about every evening to a variety of genres for a few hours. I don't just listen to music, that I notice some do, that makes just about any headphone sound good. I throw challenging stuff at it to see if it all holds up (rock, metal, grunge as well as ez listening and jazz) I am always gratified with what I'm hearing. I feel everything is firing on all cylinders! I've learned over many decades as an audio hobbiest to not to mess with setup that achieves this level of continuos satisfaction.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #515 of 1,276
Thanks for the answers! I am especially interested if the sound is somewhat warmer, higher detail is great but I feel my current sound is a bit too harsh... Would like more of a tube sound...

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #516 of 1,276
Thanks for the answers! I am especially interested if the sound is somewhat warmer, higher detail is great but I feel my current sound is a bit too harsh... Would like more of a tube sound...

The Burson may be just a hair on the warm side, but to me it's strength is in its leading edge attacks on instruments. Not harsh at all to my ear. This characteristic, along with a warm or lush headphone, is key to an exciting and engaging listen time and time again. Having said that, even my Hifiman HE-6 sounds fantastic through the Burson and it's not a warm headphone.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #517 of 1,276
For what it's worth, here are my impressions of the Conductor V2+:

Let me start by saying that I've been driving my LCD-2s with a Burson HA160D for the past 4 years.  I've always been pretty happy with the HA160D, but I have to say the CV2+ simply blows the doors off of it.  I've had it for less than a week now, but I'd still like to share a couple of observations.  I know people hate "glittering generalities", so I'll try to be as objective as I can.

here goes..

SOUND.

* Clarity:  On every song I've listened to so far, I can hear at least 3 or 4 instruments I've never heard before.
* Soundstage:  Wider.  Definitely wider.  In addition, each instrument and vocal has a noticeable amount of air or space around it.
* Bass:  More controlled.  Not diminished at all, just tighter.  The bass no longer smears into other parts of the range.  To be honest, I never thought this was an issue with the HA160D - until now.
* Mids:  Just as sweet as the HA160D.  No real difference here.
* Highs:  Big improvement.  Drums are crisper, cymbals shimmer and decay like they're supposed to.  No trace of anything harsh or abrasive - just a welcome transparency.
* Sibilance:  On lousy recordings, the sibilant consonants are still there, but now they no longer jump out at you - they're simply at the same level as the other parts of the vocal.
* Dynamic range: I do notice a bit more of a delta between the soft and loud passages.  

FEATURES

* Volume control:  Thank you Burson for eliminating that annoying stepped attenuator.  I no longer have to clench my teeth when I raise or lower the volume.  The mute feature is also quite nice.
* Remote: Nice, functional.  Appreciate the minimalist design.

Just a footnote - for this evaluation I used a Cambridge CXC transport as my source

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #518 of 1,276
So I just returned from a headphone meet with 7other people. I got to compare the sound of my CV2+ to some heavy hitters (Audio gd-Master M9 and Ampandsound Mogwai and Kenzie amps...Chord Dave and Schiit yggy dacs)
IMO, the Burson was clearly superior to the tube amps and Dave combo. I know this might seem impossible but it simply was. The tube amps even had upgraded tubes in them. Too much bass bloat that ran a bit into the midrange. Very powerful though.

The Kenzie was a bit better in the bass and midrange areas, but not enough power to properly drive the LCD-4s and HE-6. The Audio GD M9/ yggy combo on the other hand were superb! But here's where it got interesting.
The Burson was right there with it, keeping up in so many areas.

They both have a very similar signature sound. Energetic, engaging, resolute and authoritative. When I first listened to the M9/yggy combo, I felt like I was listening to my Burson! There were a few differences though. The M9/yggy was a tad smoother, a tad more authoritive in the bass department and more powerful. The Burson had a touch more air in the high end. The M9 was auditioned in both se and balanced mode. Both of which sound great, btw.

I heard the M9 at a previous meet with a different Dac and my impressions then were the same as now. This makes the Burson a great value at 1/3 the price and a footprint that's less than half the M9 size. I keep my Burson on my nightstand and there's no way I could accommodate the M9/yggy combo at my bedside. I think I convinced a few members of the Burson's value and that their philosophy of less is more works in the real world!

I expected more out of the 10k Chord Dave Dac. For grins and giggles, we compared my HRT istreamer Dac to the Chord in an informal blind comparison, volume matched and all. 3 out of 3 seasoned ears, including myself, preferred the HRT! More impact, more energy and just as resolute sounding. Hard to believe, I know but it is what it is. The Dave is very resolute but yet bright sounding. Headphones used were LCD-3,4, Hifiman HE-6 and HE-1k. The grass isn't always greener on the other side folks! Well done Burson.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #519 of 1,276
So I just returned from a headphone meet with 7other people... Well done Burson.

Great to read your feedback Hifi59 - as always!

With all the hype around the Yiggy, it's nice to get a comparison with the V2+.
Not that I'm even considering replacing the V2+...

It's been very engaging listening with the HE-560.
Likely due to the generic power cable I'm using, I am missing some slam and dynamics. I haven't had time to finish off my DIY job (why, oh why did I choose such a fiddle cable to work with??)

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #520 of 1,276
i tried the conductor v2+ today while auditioning the utopia. i must admit that my focus was on the cans rather than the amp but the burson acquitted itself well. it's a nice looking unit and the blue numerical display looks cool. having tried it and the questyle cma600i which also looked well put together, i think i'd be happy with either one.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #521 of 1,276
Thanks for sharing this with us, Hifi59. 

I myself just recently upgraded from Burson Conductor to CV2+. The lovely people from Burson was so patient with me as it was an exciting wait. I just love dealing with Alex and Dennis. 

Anyway, I also want to share my impression of the CV2+ with you guys. Coming from the original Conductor, within 10 mins, I already noticed some things (with my Fostex TH900):
1. Higher resolution. Mid and treble sound so crisp and sweet. Very energetic too. 
2. More air and soundstage

Overall, this is a noticeable upgrade. I just love this thing. Really don't think I need any other DAC/AMP.. 

I was wondering about one thing though. It is rated twice the power at 8W/16ohm compared to the Conductor. I don't feel that much difference in power, to be honest. Maybe just slightly lesser on the volume knob. I have no knowledge whatsoever in impedance and power. Isn't it supposed to drive the headphone twice stronger? Just curious. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #522 of 1,276
I purchased a pair of Fostex TH 900 MK IIs today. These are by far the best headphones I've heard with my Conductor V2+. Crystal clear through out the entire audio spectrum. The delivery is vivid and breathtaking. The bass is to die for. The best bass I've heard from a headphone. I feel like I've been missing a lot in my listening sessions. I have a lot more listening to do before I make a final determination, but I'm very very impressed. This is my favorite headphone thus far.

I also use my TH900 with CV2+. Completely agree with your impressions. Crystal clear is the word. Combined with THAT bass and soundstage. This is the best combination I tried too.  

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #523 of 1,276
Good to hear Omniweltall that you are happy with the CV2+. Burson is really a good product, i still have my Soloist SL MKI that i still use from time to time.

If only they would create a balanced configuration but nonetheless, it is a spectacular product. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #524 of 1,276
Good to hear Omniweltall that you are happy with the CV2+. Burson is really a good product, i still have my Soloist SL MKI that i still use from time to time.

If only they would create a balanced configuration but nonetheless, it is a spectacular product.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Whill,

Agreed. Burson has always been my go-to product for amp. If they make a balanced output, I will probably upgrade again :) Otherwise, I am good for now with this CV2+. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #525 of 1,276
Just acquired a Conductor V2 to replace a Soloist for my LCD-XC's.

Clarity is better, wider image than the Soloist.  But the biggest advantage is that it can power the LCD-XC's to higher volume without becoming harsh compared to the Soloist.  It really shines at higher volumes.  There might also be a little more upper bass boost as male voices seem a little more chesty sounding, not annoyingly so though.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back