New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Aug 20, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #46 of 744
I've done that between a Conductor (which I don't have anymore, and which is essentially a Soloist in its amp section).
With LCD-3 and, to a lesser extent, LCD-XC, the Playmate sounds weak. Not in the sense that it's not loud enough, but it lacks energy, it's flat.
I haven't tried more efficient cans.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #47 of 744
I A/B tested CV2+ vs. Playmate Everest and I don't remember any weakness, and I used HE560 that are harder to drive than LCD-3. Maybe I'll A/B test it again next week, but worth mentioning that I do volume match either with o-scope, either with DMM.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #48 of 744
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #49 of 744
Even if in my synthetic tests CV2+ was above PLAYMATE (in THD with few dB better, perfect square-waves reproduction etc.), I was unable to discern really noticeable differences with HE560 and T50RPmk3...sorry, but worth mentioning the huge power reserve advantage CV2+ has it over the PLAYMATE. Well, for few times I perceived a tiny advantage of CV2+ in the details and soundstage, but only on extreme levels (>100dB peaks).

I was mostly listening to compressed music and with lot of trebles and bass, but I can re-do this test with more dynamic music like Jazz and Classics, maybe something will come up. I will include speakers too, just in case.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #50 of 744
Hey guys, it seems that the C3 Ref webpage is still updating, today they posted new pics.
Do I see them right on my monitor, is that a silver C3Ref?
Looking really nice in silver.

C3R-LCDGX.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #53 of 744
i hope burson will keep the retail price of 1.394 dollars. for it´s more appropriate

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #54 of 744
i hope burson will keep the retail price of 1.394 dollars. for it´s more appropriate

Pretty much impossible:
"Production of the Conductor 3 Reference is on schedule and we’ll start shipping in mid-September. Pre-order will end a few days before then. However, as we’ll be shipping in chronological order, (ie the earlier you place an order, the earlier you will receive it) therefore, please don’t wait until the last minute to capture this incredible pre-order. (Saving up to $400 USD from RRP) Please use the “SHOP” buttom on top to complete your order."

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #55 of 744
Worst case scenario would be to grab Christmas or Easter promo, I'm sure that promo price will be OK.

Meanwhile, looking further for first reviews. I personally like the smaller size and the added wireless connectivity (streaming).

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #56 of 744
Worst case scenario would be to grab Christmas or Easter promo, I'm sure that promo price will be OK.

Meanwhile, looking further for first reviews. I personally like the smaller size and the added wireless connectivity (streaming).
agree your post. about wireless connectivity, bluetooth has same quality compared to otg-usb connection?

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #59 of 744
as i posted earlier in this thread, the difference in overall size between the conductor 3 and the cv2+ is marginal at best. the conductor 3's 2kg weight reduction is significant, however. neither could be described as a compact desktop unit imo.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #60 of 744
Well, about 11% reduction in volume and 29% reduction in weight is still a decent down-sizing. Maybe Burson will build an even smaller Conductor in few years...who knows. :)

BTW, found a good resource explaining AptX HD and many other codecs here: https://m.habr.com/en/post/456182/. Seems that AptX HD is a 24 bit/48 KHz codec having bitrates up to 576 Kbs. I guess an A/B test might tell us the true story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back