New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #781 of 1,256
The setting in Control Panel - Sounds is for Direct Sound as I've said in the top of the page.
If you want to use your Play like that it's your choice, but it's the worst for music.

If you select in your player to play using ASIO you can play all the formats supported by the DAC - it bypass DIrect Sound. I can play 32bit 768kHz on my Sabaj Dac2 withot any proble, And 32 bit 384kHz with the Play.

About Windows 10 - yes, major build may came later on some PC's - depending on how they are set - for Pro version you may change to Business channel to have a more stable version of windows. But also depending on your hardware/software - if there are known issues with them it could be a delay until the new build support them.
And if you search for the latest Windows 10 build - 1809 - launched last week... It's not available for the moment. It was removed as it deletes users files when upgrading. Will be available again in a week or two after it's fixed. Luckily there is no problem with Burson's quite old drivers as it was after 1703.
Dude! Thank you for this response. I'm new to ASIO. If I use a player like foobar can I direct my game audio to go through it? Or do I need to turn it off?

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #782 of 1,256
You can use a player like foobar ( with ASIO plugin installed ) to play music. With JRiver you can play also movies sound tracks,
You cannot direct game audio through it. Games use exclusively Direct Sound - at least the new ones. ASIO is not for gaming and never was.

Oct 12, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #783 of 1,256
The setting in Control Panel - Sounds is for Direct Sound as I've said in the top of the page.
If you want to use your Play like that it's your choice, but it's the worst for music.

If you select in your player to play using ASIO you can play all the formats supported by the DAC - it bypass DIrect Sound. I can play 32bit 768kHz on my Sabaj Dac2 withot any proble, And 32 bit 384kHz with the Play.

About Windows 10 - yes, major build may came later on some PC's - depending on how they are set - for Pro version you may change to Business channel to have a more stable version of windows. But also depending on your hardware/software - if there are known issues with them it could be a delay until the new build support them.
And if you search for the latest Windows 10 build - 1809 - launched last week... It's not available for the moment. It was removed as it deletes users files when upgrading. Will be available again in a week or two after it's fixed. Luckily there is no problem with Burson's quite old drivers as it was after 1703.

While all of this is true and is for the most part fine, Windows is capable of doing 32 bit direct sound (as seen in the reddit post I linked above which is from 3 years ago). So I think it is more than likely a driver issue. Like you said, through ASIO 32 bit 384kHz works flawlessly. Whether or not 32 bit direct sound matters at all is a completely different question, I just personally find it odd that 32 bit 384kHz direct sound isn't enabled in their driver.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #785 of 1,256
I'm sort of anxious to test out some hi res music files. Where do I go to get really high resolution files so I can really utilize foobar or jriver ASIO?
Tidal is your most economical option. Yeah and being from Vietnam I can certainly tell you that you can never trust those torrent files.
While all of this is true and is for the most part fine, Windows is capable of doing 32 bit direct sound (as seen in the reddit post I linked above which is from 3 years ago). So I think it is more than likely a driver issue. Like you said, through ASIO 32 bit 384kHz works flawlessly. Whether or not 32 bit direct sound matters at all is a completely different question, I just personally find it odd that 32 bit 384kHz direct sound isn't enabled in their driver.
Many people have raised the question of whether 24bit sound matters. To my ears it’s just a waste of hard disk space.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #786 of 1,256
A good source to test high-res. music: http://www.2l.no/hires/.

AFAIK 24-bit resolution music appeared only on recording studios, to be sure the original tracks will have enough volume levels (resolution) for future use in mix or remastered records.

How many levels can you count when playing on note on a guitar? :) I'd say that it's infinite, which is quite more than 2^16, so maybe 16-bits audio makes no sense for human ears physiological limitations, but if you really want to get the best from your tracks and really don't care if it's recorded level is -3dB instead of 0dB, then 24-bit is the way to go. Also, 24-bit audio raises the bar for manufacturers to improve their amplifiers to match the lower background noise of 24-bit DACs and 24-bit music, hence sensitive cans and speakers are well supported nowadays without any hiss from the tweeters or IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #787 of 1,256
Here is my review of the Play, entry level version:

Burson Play

I have been listening to the Burson play, with the stock op-amp for about 6 weeks now. Price is $299 US for the basic unit. If you choose, you can roll op-amp's, as it has sockets in which you can pull part or all 5 op-amps and use other compatible op-amps. Burson has several custom built discrete op-amps that you can roll into it.

First I would like to point out, this a loner sample from Burson, and I have no financial investment in Burson.

When first plugged in with the proper drivers, the Play sounded a bit dry, but in about 2 weeks, it much fuller. The only input is USB, or you can mount it in a computer case and use the supplied cable to connect the Play directly into a mother boards internal USB connection. I only used the external USB connection. The reason for not mounting it in my computer is that there was A: No space in my current computer to fit it in, and B: The Play runs very hot. The Play runs full class A so it does generate heat by the nature of class A. The play plaid all of my computer based files, from lowly MP3 files all the way up to 24-192 PCM and DSD64 and DSD128!

Once the Play had it's initial run in, I must say I am very pleased with it. It has high frequency detail was nice, a little less volume, maybe 1 or 2 dB in the last 2 octaves, not a bad thing mind you. The high frequency on my Modded Creek OBH-11 is a bit brighter, and is more of a fatigue on brighter recordings, not so with the Play. The Yes album by Yes is a good example of this. The cymbals have a present shimmer with the Play and the wood hitting metal is still there.

Mid range is nice and clear on the Play, a bit of warmth shines through. I did not detect any lack of detail in this critical area. Vocals sound full and robust, guitars keep the initial attack and final decay with dignity. When listening Acoustic Sounds DSD download of In Dreams, by Roy Orbison, all Roy's full multi-octave voice shined. Blue Bayou sounds fantastic, as does the rest of this hi res album.

The bass is very full, warm and detailed. You can separate out the bass drums from the bass guitar.. On Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like a Wheel, you can hear the drummer has 2 bass drums and the attack and decay sound natural with no lose. The bass guitar has very good attack, you can hear the fingers pluck the strings

As far as sound stage, most of the opens headphones I used had a very expansive one. I tried a couple of IEM phones with success, but still in your head (all except for the Monoprice M300 plannars which are open backed).

To sum it up, the Burson is a fine piece of gear to have. It gives you a top notch DAC and a tun-able via rolling the op amps. It is a good balance for the price it goes for. Not the last word in detail, but very good at a $299 price point. Out of 10, I would give it a solid 8!

Plus: Roll-able op-amps

A very useful DAC that can handle a wide variety of music files

The option to use a mic, nice for gamer's

A warm detailed sound

Runs full class A

Very good detail, could maybe use a tad more

Very good separation of instruments and expansive sound stage

Minus: Only that it runs very hot, maybe to hot to fit in a computer.

Attachments

• Burson Play review.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #788 of 1,256
My PLAY never passed 40C on top, so it's definitely not too hot. When got it into the desktop computer temp was lower, because of the good positive airflow inside the computer's case. However, YMMV.

My Matrix HPA-3C was 52C on top after couple of hours, which is quite normal for a Class-A amplifier.

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #789 of 1,256
My PLAY never passed 40C on top, so it's definitely not too hot. When got it into the desktop computer temp was lower, because of the good positive airflow inside the computer's case. However, YMMV.

My Matrix HPA-3C was 52C on top after couple of hours, which is quite normal for a Class-A amplifier.
It will vary hugely based on the computer case design. I also feel more comfortable leaving my Play outside even though the newer version rarely passes 40C.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #791 of 1,256
vxZEUuhnSXlXM5jYsDXE_BursonPlayExt3.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thank you for supporting the discussion of Burson Play. Since its introduction, we have received a good number of requests from fellow audiophiles. They include requests for colour, requests for different opamp combinations and requests of group-buy discounts.

As such, we have started a Poll on MassDrop and hopefully, through this poll, we can construct a limited edition Play. One that meets some of your requests. : )

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/MassD...n-Silver-USB-DSD256DAC-2Wpc-HeadAmp-RC-Preamp

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Happy listening,

Team Burson

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #792 of 1,256
While this is a great idea I already have the PLAY in the V6 Vivid mode. I originally bought the V5i but the power supply died and after sending it back I decided to upgrade to V6 level. I had to pay the extra but the increase in performance was worth it. I live in Australia and the PLAY is manufactured in Melbourne, the city that the company I bought it from is based. When I upgraded I asked If I could have a hybrid version (exactly the same as the one on the Massdrop post) but was told no. If I want to change to that configuration it's going to cost me at least $AUS100 to buy the two V6 classic singles.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #793 of 1,256
A silver Play would be nice for desktop use.
Color don't fit most of today PC cases.

What I would like to see it's a Play with fixed Line Out ( 2V max ). It's not complicated and will better control the Bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back