New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #826 of 1,256
Yes, this is correct.

LPF is Low Pass Filter - it cuts off high ( inaudible ) frequencies.
Normally a warmer OP-AMp is recomended here, the most common is OPA3124. Also the stock NE5532 works fine - if you have Basic version.
But I use V6 Vivid in LPF and I hear no noise. I've tested also V6 Classic and again no noise.
Are your headphones so bright or extremelly sensitive ? Because even when using sensitive IEM's I hear no noise.
I was using Audioquest Nighthawks - they aren't bright. I think I only had noise because I actually pulled the middle op amp out. Once I put it back in there was 0 noise. I have the v6 Vivid in the middle and because of an unfortunate shipping error I have V5 in the I/V and classic singles in the gain.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #829 of 1,256
Hey guys so I did something really stupid. I wasn't really thinking. I swapped my dual vivids in the I/V stage with my single classics in the gain stage. There was an audible pop sound. I immediately turned off the device realizing what my auto pilot brain had done. One of the classics smells like its been in a fire. I turned everything off and swapped back in the op amps that come with the Play Basic. I then slowly added back my classics and vivids in their proper places. One of my classics is toast and both vivids that I put in the gain stage are toast. From what I can tell the Play still works. Did I damage the device? or just the Op amps that I placed in the wrong slots?

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #830 of 1,256
What about Muses01 x 3 and Muses03 x 2?
It should work like a charm, but you need to find a way to adapt SOIC-DIP on the MUSES03 by yourself.

Hey guys so I did something really stupid. I wasn't really thinking. I swapped my dual vivids in the I/V stage with my single classics in the gain stage. There was an audible pop sound. I immediately turned off the device realizing what my auto pilot brain had done. One of the classics smells like its been in a fire. I turned everything off and swapped back in the op amps that come with the Play Basic. I then slowly added back my classics and vivids in their proper places. One of my classics is toast and both vivids that I put in the gain stage are toast. From what I can tell the Play still works. Did I damage the device? or just the Op amps that I placed in the wrong slots?

You probably damaged op-amps only, but you could try to pop-out the plastic shells and do some macro/close-up pictures with the inside burned components from each defective op-amp. This should make us all remember not to swap single with duals or vice-versa. :)

I'm sure your PLAY survived well and plays just fine.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #831 of 1,256
I think I only had noise because I actually pulled the middle op amp out. Once I put it back in there was 0 noise. I have the v6 Vivid in the middle and because of an unfortunate shipping error I have V5 in the I/V and classic singles in the gain.
Sorry, but I don't understand - you removed the OP-AMP from LPF - then you should't have any sound. Even if the OP-Amp doesn't make contact well, there are some protection that prevent the Play to start.
I swapped my dual vivids in the I/V stage with my single classics in the gain stage. There was an audible pop sound.
Again i don't understand. What do you have in I/V ? If you have V5 you cannot have Vivids....

Also V6 have some protection inside, for the case if you connect them wrong...

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #832 of 1,256
Sorry, but I don't understand - you removed the OP-AMP from LPF - then you should't have any sound. Even if the OP-Amp doesn't make contact well, there are some protection that prevent the Play to start.

Again i don't understand. What do you have in I/V ? If you have V5 you cannot have Vivids....

Also V6 have some protection inside, for the case if you connect them wrong...
Sorry for the confusion - I was so stressed out last night that I said Vivids. This is what I had - 1 Vivid in LPF and 2 V5s in I/V. I also have two Classics in gain stage (singles). I swapped the V5s and the classics. I put the classic singles where the dual V5s were and vice versa. One of the classics is dead and both V5s are dead now. I have one classic left and the Vivid that was in the LPF still seems to work.

The Play will still work without an op amp in the LPF. It played music at least but there was a ton of noise that came through.

Oct 26, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #833 of 1,256
It should work like a charm, but you need to find a way to adapt SOIC-DIP on the MUSES03 by yourself.

You probably damaged op-amps only, but you could try to pop-out the plastic shells and do some macro/close-up pictures with the inside burned components from each defective op-amp. This should make us all remember not to swap single with duals or vice-versa. :)

I'm sure your PLAY survived well and plays just fine.
I'll see if I can take some photos and figure out where the damage happened.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #834 of 1,256
[...] This is what I had - 1 Vivid in LPF and 2 V5s in I/V. I also have two Classics in gain stage (singles). I swapped the V5s and the classics. I put the classic singles where the dual V5s were and vice versa. One of the classics is dead and both V5s are dead now.[...]

The Play will still work without an op amp in the LPF. It played music at least but there was a ton of noise that came through.
Now I'm confused a bit: 2xV5 single in I/V?
Also, with the LPF socket without any opamp on top you can still listen to some music?

However, some pics might help. I hope with good opamps PLAY will work fine.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #837 of 1,256
No I had two dual V5s in I/V with one Vivid in LPF and two single classics. I swapped the single classics and the dual V5s.
Indeed a huge mistake, you can use 2 identical dual opamps for the IV and a 3rd dual opamp for the LPF. As for the pre-amp stage, couple of singles should do (pay attention with non unity gain stable opamps).

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #838 of 1,256
3u9p6Aj.jpg

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #839 of 1,256
Here's a photo of the op amp I destroyed. It was the v6 classic single. If you look in the upper right hand corner where it reads R8/R7 you can see a burned up fuse (?). I think that's what it is.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #840 of 1,256
And yes without any op amp in LPF I can still get sound but it has an awful buzz or hum with it.
You shouldn't have sound. LPF is part of the signal path.
Also If the OP-AMP isn't properly inserted in the socket there is a Relay that prevent the Play to run.

Now, Burson has implemented some protection in V6:
The V6 are the only opamps in the world with reverse voltage protection. While other opamps are instantly damaged if reversely installed, the V6 are designed to survive such accidents unscathed.
Probably they didn't considered also a protection when singles are inserted in doubles socket and viceversa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back