1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by ostewart, Sep 20, 2017.
First

Back
47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56
58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
Next

Last
  1. raoultrifan
    I thought the same myself, that without the LPF opamp there should be no sound, but who knows...maybe the feedback resistors from around this opamp are getting few % of the sound from IN to OUT. Never tested this, it's just an assumption.

The protection relay for the single opamps from the pre-amplification stage, I think without the LPF or I/V opamps should not trigger anything...unless there's DC on outputs.

2. Fasterball
    I can recreate the situation 100 percent of the time where I power down the system, take out the LPF op amp, power everything back on - and I get sound. In fact it's the same sound I normally get but there is this awful background buzzing, hissing, humming that isn't normally there.

I don't think Burson thought anyone would be dumb enough to swap single and dual op amps which is why there is no protection for that. I wasn't thinking when I did it. Dang me for messing with electronics late at night.

raoultrifan likes this.
  3. selvakumar
    im using it it it sounds epic and flat you should try it and always get MUSES from authorised vendor lot of cheap and fake out there

4. raoultrifan
    I'm too lazy to grab the MUSES01 from my ASUS Essence One MKii, sorry. :frowning2: But I'm sure it will work perfectly, after all I've tested PLAY with MUSES8920 and it went just perfect.
    Actually, I think it really worth a try with 3xMUSES01 + 2xMUSES03, too bad of the higher price, especially the MUSES03. Fro the LPF a cheaper opamps could do about the same thing too, but I/V stage is what it counts a lot in PLAY.

5. Fasterball
    Why are the Muses01 and 03 so pricey? I can get discrete op amps from Sparkos and Burson for the price of the Muses01 on Mouser.com or pretty close to it.

Does anyone have experience with OPA2134 and OPA134? I picked them on up Mouser for pretty cheap. What should I expect from the sound?

6. raoultrifan
    Not sure you’ll be gaining anything with OPA2134 in I/V or in LPF. Either you stick to ESS’s recommandations (AD797 with proper single-to-dual DIP8 adapters) either something else that has been tested here: some MUSES or OPA1612...depends what you can easily purchase. I got very good results with 3xAD8599 + 2xAD797, but you might need DIP8 adapters.

7. Fasterball
    How do those adapters work? Is soldering invloved?

8. raoultrifan
  9. Fasterball
  10. raoultrifan
    :ksc75smile: Well, you're being too harsh on yourself. As for the late-night working, I did a huge and messy short circuit few years ago (phase + earth) when I was tinkering with my Matrix HPA-3B headamp, so double check if there's a RCBO installed on your mains panel (actually, on the actual circuit you're doing the work) and keep a flashlight nearby. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  11. imran27
    A combination that I am really loving on Play is this:
    OPA1652 in I/V
    OPA1692 in LP
    OPA209 in Gain (with Nichicon PW bypass caps on the rails)

Natural, very well layered, good imaging and separation, no harshness at all. Decent amount of speed. Bass goes really deep and imaging and separation is quite nice due to combination of OPA1652 and OPA1692 both of which are good at soundstaging.

12. Eiffel
    To my ears Muses 01 in I/V AND LPF is a bit to bright and harsh. Probabbly due to ESS chip - on my STX they sound far better.
    I did a test few months ago. In I/V they are ok but only if you put a warmer op-amp in LPF - Muses 02 works ok. Also an OPA2132/2134 may do the job. Or a V6 classic.

OPA2134 ( is the same with OPA2132 but with worst frequency range - TI use to "brand" as Audio some OP-AMPs who fails frequency test, but still can go up to 100kHz and sell them a bit cheaper ) will work fine in Play. Some producers also use it - check Topping D10. It has a warm, laid-back sound who can compensate the somehow harsh treble on the ESS Dac chips.
    However sound might be a bit boring/dull for some.

About the Muses price - especially the top ones - 01, 02 or 03 - they are overrated. They have a very pleasant sound - this make them wanted. But electrically speaking except channel separation, they have quite bad specs. Especially power rejection is bad - on my STX with an older power supply I got a lot of harmonics from it. Funny but the sound was even more pleasing - like listening to some tube amp. However you may me able to get them a lot cheaper if you use NJR local sales channels instead of buying from Mouser or DigiKey. I mean about half the price.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  13. imran27
    Adding Nichicon VZ on the OPA1652 results in such a silent background and quite an amazing clarity in the highs.

Will add the Nichicon VZ on the remaining OPA1692 (LP) and report the changes, if any.

14. Fasterball
    Could you do a video or a how to explaining how you do this? What does the nichicon VZ do?

Does anyone have experience with Sparkos labs discrete op amps?

15. WilliamLeonhart
    Yep. I got 3 dual Sparkos in there and didn’t like the sound one bit. The trebels were unnaturally bright. That alone ruins the sound for me.

Personally I have found swapping LPF opamps to be very effective for me. Was tinkering with 2x 8820 in I/V and 8920 in LPF and suddenly I was getting a LOT of bass from my speakers.

First

Back
47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56
58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
Next

Last