New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #121 of 181
  The current W4S DAC2 DSDse eliminates that problem. I just sent mine back in for the new Femto clock upgrade.....Life is good in W4S land...

I've been wondering about this. I had the original W4S DAC2 and liked but did not love it -- for example, I didn't think its performance was head and shoulders above my Oppo BDP-83SE (another Sabre device).

I am thoroughly enjoying the BDA-2 these days, but if and when I get bitten by the DSD bug, the DSDse will be one of the DACs I strongly consider.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #122 of 181
Olias, I would expect the W4S and the BDA-2 to be in a similar category. Personal taste would push one over the other. Top sabre implementation vs top AKM. Both firms have great post purchase service....I know it would be tough for me as I also like the AKM 4399's...

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #124 of 181
Is there a huge difference between the sound coming from usb compared to out of spidf? Most of my source are digital and I'll be using usb around 80% of the time so this is extremely important.

With the BDA-1, yes there was. The BDA-2 is so much better in that regard it's really amazing. And with blind testing, hard to tell the differences.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #126 of 181
Talking about the USB performance. I picked up my BDA-2 - BHA-1 pair from a dealer this week.
I'm trying to understand if I have to do something with the way I play my flacs and mp3s. The thing is, I am confused with the enabled digital volume control. Is there any way to disable it and send "raw" digital stream out of a PC?

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #127 of 181
  Talking about the USB performance. I picked up my BDA-2 - BHA-1 pair from a dealer this week.
I'm trying to understand if I have to do something with the way I play my flacs and mp3s. The thing is, I am confused with the enabled digital volume control. Is there any way to disable it and send "raw" digital stream out of a PC?

Your BDA-2 should have come with a driver for the PC.  Once that is installed, you should be able to set that in the settings of your playback software (I use JRiver Media Centre 19).  This will allow you to output digital signals matching the song file (16/44, 24/192 etc) directly to the BDA-2 via USB.  

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #128 of 181
  Your BDA-2 should have come with a driver for the PC.  Once that is installed, you should be able to set that in the settings of your playback software (I use JRiver Media Centre 19).  This will allow you to output digital signals matching the song file (16/44, 24/192 etc) directly to the BDA-2 via USB.  

Yes. I've got the playback, but I'm concerned about the enabled digital volume control. I think this is redundant, and does not help the sound quality.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #130 of 181
Interesting, ASIO and WASAPI plugins in Foobar2000 do not disable windows volume control. WASAPI readme specifically point out that it bypasses Windows mixer. Funny enough, but I can move windows speaker volume, but can't change WASAPI volume.  

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #131 of 181
Got to compare BDA2 and Vega today with LCD3f off Taurus Mk2, and preferred the former by a fair margin for its more non-fatiguing presentation, better bass, and dare I say it- a more analogue sound. Left the store with a new BDA2 and a lighter hip pocket. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #132 of 181
  Got to compare BDA2 and Vega today with LCD3f off Taurus Mk2, and preferred the former by a fair margin for its more non-fatiguing presentation, better bass, and dare I say it- a more analogue sound. Left the store with a new BDA2 and a lighter hip pocket. 

Congrats!  I'm sure you will enjoy your new DAC immensely.  I purchased a BDA-2 a few months back and have been continually impressed with its transparency and the ability to listen deep into the music without fatigue.  Amp is BHA-1 and phones are LCD-2 and HD800.  Great combo!

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #133 of 181
has anyone compared the BDA2 to the zodiac+ ? I felt the zodiac would be more 3d and airy.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #134 of 181

Welcome to the club! :) I also got the BDA-2 a few months ago, and using it with LCD-2 (rev 2) and Burson Solosist (and also my speaker setup). After going through many other DACs, the BDA-2 is the one I am keeping. I agree with you that it does have a very analogue sound (I used to have the Clearaudio Concept turntable). I would go further to say that the BDA-2 has the holographic and smooth treble of analogue, with the details, great bass, and quiet background of digital. 

Have you tried bypassing the original feet and use other feet? I used to have the Herbies Audio Tenderfoot, and now upgraded to the Stillpoints Ultra SS. I also put an Ikea bamboo cutting board under the Stillpoints. These isolation tweaks made increased the soundstage and clarity, and make the treble even smoother without being too smooth or too warm. If you are tight on budget try the Tenderfoot (http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm) with the bamboo board. Or bamboo board with Cardas or Ayre wood blocks with bamboo board (see review here: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm). It is a worthwhile tweak for the BDA-2. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #135 of 181

Welcome to the club! :) I also got the BDA-2 a few months ago, and using it with LCD-2 (rev 2) and Burson Solosist (and also my speaker setup). After going through many other DACs, the BDA-2 is the one I am keeping. I agree with you that it does have a very analogue sound (I used to have the Clearaudio Concept turntable). I would go further to say that the BDA-2 has the holographic and smooth treble of analogue, with the details, great bass, and quiet background of digital. 

Have you tried bypassing the original feet and use other feet? I used to have the Herbies Audio Tenderfoot, and now upgraded to the Stillpoints Ultra SS. I also put an Ikea bamboo cutting board under the Stillpoints. These isolation tweaks made increased the soundstage and clarity, and make the treble even smoother without being too smooth or too warm. If you are tight on budget try the Tenderfoot (http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm) with the bamboo board. Or bamboo board with Cardas or Ayre wood blocks with bamboo board (see review here: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm). It is a worthwhile tweak for the BDA-2. 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

And I'm so glad to read that you hear the BDA 2 the same way as I do. 

I will certainly keep your advice re: using other feet in the back of my mind. Ever since I got the BDA 2, I've been wondering how it could get any better than this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back