New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #106 of 181
Any more impressions of this dac ?

I keep coming back to this because of features and price. Also interested in M51 and Hex.  I've read some good things about the AKM chip as well.

But dleblanc343's statement:

"Problem is, the highs are a bit too aggressive for my already very revealing rig (Highly optimized McIntosh MC225 -> HD800/HE6). I can clearly see why the BDA-2 is more geared towards the pro market and professional studios. Very precise, but a bit too dry and sterile at times."

is giving me pause.

Is this going to be fatiguing over time? Especially when paired with HD800s

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #107 of 181

I keep coming back to this because of features and price. Also interested in M51 and Hex.  I've read some good things about the AKM chip as well.

"Problem is, the highs are a bit too aggressive for my already very revealing rig (Highly optimized McIntosh MC225 -> HD800/HE6). I can clearly see why the BDA-2 is more geared towards the pro market and professional studios. Very precise, but a bit too dry and sterile at times."

is giving me pause.

I've got the GS-X Mk2 (about as transparent an amp I've heard) and the BDA-2 with my HD-800s is brilliant and very inviting...not dry in the least. Actually, it's a bit on the sweet/musical side IMO. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #108 of 181

is giving me pause.

Hmm, I may be more critical than most people out there, but it is a bit forward with the headphones mentioned. However, it is still SO much better than almost all consumer dacs out there. It's definitely worth a try. 

What's your system?

I've got the GS-X Mk2 (about as transparent an amp I've heard) and the BDA-2 with my HD-800s is brilliant and very inviting...not dry in the least. Actually, it's a bit on the sweet/musical side IMO. 

Man, I really can't wait to try the GSX MKII... I really don't know whether it's neutral-forward or neutral-warm with all the conflicting reports 
redface.gif

I'm guessing it's bang on in the middle - neutral transparent. It better be!
evil_smiley.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 2, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #109 of 181

Snip

In my experience, no. I do not find my BDA-2 > BHA-1 > HD800 rig to be fatiguing in the least. It can be a bit lean with some recordings (which is why I keep the Super 7 around) but that speaks more to the recording than the equipment.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #110 of 181
Thanks all for your responses. I am actually looking for more treble transparency and extension so it sounds like the BDA-2 will give me that without the dreaded harshness, etch or glare that so many are wary of.

I am tempted to get this now...but I think I am going to wait and see what the Yggdrasil has to offer (if I can wait that long
redface.gif
)

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #111 of 181
  Thanks all for your responses. I am actually looking for more treble transparency and extension so it sounds like the BDA-2 will give me that without the dreaded harshness, etch or glare that so many are wary of.

I am tempted to get this now...but I think I am going to wait and see what the Yggdrasil has to offer (if I can wait that long
redface.gif
)

The BDA-1 could (depending on the setup/recording) could be a bit harsh...thankfully Bryston fixed that with the BDA-2. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #113 of 181
i say the bda-2 is much nicer sounding. bm and mytek are really for studio mastering. so we can have repeatable results and pick out changes. id rather listen to the bryston for enjoyment. i meant bm dac1. the dac2 is hifi gear but i still like the bryston better. in fact unmodified the bryston is better than the teac. i don't know what i could do with it but it is already good. id rather hack a dac i got for $500 then one that is $2,400. not that the bryston needs anything at it's price point. the teac stood to improve a lot. get what you pay for. the mytek can be had much cheaper than the bryston too. if you know the salesman he might give 10% off the bryston. oh, the problem with the bda-1 was the usb. i do feel it had a better psu but it does not really make a sonic difference. the bda-2 is better overall.

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #114 of 181
  i say the bda-2 is much nicer sounding. bm and mytek are really for studio mastering. so we can have repeatable results and pick out changes. id rather listen to the bryston for enjoyment. i meant bm dac1. the dac2 is hifi gear but i still like the bryston better. in fact unmodified the bryston is better than the teac. i don't know what i could do with it but it is already good. id rather hack a dac i got for $500 then one that is $2,400. not that the bryston needs anything at it's price point. the teac stood to improve a lot. get what you pay for. the mytek can be had much cheaper than the bryston too. if you know the salesman he might give 10% off the bryston. oh, the problem with the bda-1 was the usb. i do feel it had a better psu but it does not really make a sonic difference. the bda-2 is better overall.

I think the BDA-2 is a cut above. The Mytek still suffers from the Sabre-shout that plagues so many of the the ESS based DACs that I've heard. The Mytek compares very nicely to the W4S DAC-2 (which I really liked when I owned it).

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #116 of 181
Have been trying one of these for the last few days - wow! Very detailed but musical at the same time.. not fatiguing at all; even with my HD800's (with auralic taurus) quite surprising! (was expecting a little bit of hardness as that is what i had with the BHA-1)

A massive step up from the gungnir i was using!

No shoutyness as described with sabre's too - nothing too pronounced; very neutral as far as i can see.. (hear i should say!)

Loving it :)

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #117 of 181
  Have been trying one of these for the last few days - wow! Very detailed but musical at the same time.. not fatiguing at all; even with my HD800's (with auralic taurus) quite surprising! (was expecting a little bit of hardness as that is what i had with the BHA-1)

No shoutyness as described with sabre's too - nothing too pronounced; very neutral as far as i can see.. (hear i should say!)

Pretty much sums up my findings. The W4S DAC-2 had the Sabre shoutyness too. The BDA-1 was a bit on the cold side and the USB implementation left a lot to be desired. Bryston really nailed it with the BDA-2 IMO. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #118 of 181

Pretty much sums up my findings. The W4S DAC-2 had the Sabre shoutyness too. The BDA-1 was a bit on the cold side and the USB implementation left a lot to be desired. Bryston really nailed it with the BDA-2 IMO. 

The current W4S DAC2 DSDse eliminates that problem. I just sent mine back in for the new Femto clock upgrade.....Life is good in W4S land...

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #119 of 181
  The current W4S DAC2 DSDse eliminates that problem. I just sent mine back in for the new Femto clock upgrade.....Life is good in W4S land...

Hmm the W4S sounds interesting..

I am comparing the BDA-2 side by side with an Auralic vega at the moment and still find the vega to have the sabre shoutyness; while the BDA-2 is still more delicate and emotional; while having better imaging too..

It seems the vega can get congested when it comes to very complicated music - can become too much at times..

Another major thing i notice is the BDA-2 has more bass impact and control; I really did not think i would be able to determine it so easily between these two higher end DAC's

The BDA-2 seems to seperate it so that the congestion is no longer there..

Female vocals are pushed foward on the vega while the BDA-2 allows for the delicacy to stay intact - love it!

Bear in mine this is my opinion only.. using HD800, LCD-3 via an Auralic Taurus.

Both USB to the PC~

The Vega does have a larger sound stage; but worse imaging - strange.. the vega almost sounds artifically large; while congested at the same time? Don't know how to explain this one..

I would like to add..

The Vega definately does not sound as 'BAD' as i am making it out to be, oh the contrary it is a great sounding DAC - I think it is going to come down to preference more than anything.. although it seems my preference lies within the bryston.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #120 of 181
Exciting times for digital these days. There are many great choices. I have enjoyed the W4S for a couple of years now and have taken it through its upgrade path. I am a happy HD800 listener with this Dac....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back