New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jun 13, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,696 of 1,956
So, my 3rd pair of T5p.2 arrived.
They are as good as ever. A few things I noticed:
- Headband padding seems a bit less, is this Beyer's fix for the 'headband coming loose' issues some have with the T1/T5p?
- Earpads seem less 'new' then the ones you can order from Beyerdynamic themselves as replacement, did they change these?
- Dekoni choice leather pads are a heavenly match for these!
It's good to be back 'home' :D
Could you elaborate a little bit more about the differences of the earpads? I have read somewhere on youtube, that the the earpads on the newest batches supposedly got changed to the DT1770 earpads. I didn't gave it much thought then, but your observation has me a little concerned. Got them on my wishlist and would like to know, if they changed anything. Thanks in advance!

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,698 of 1,956
The pads that came with this set are definitely no dt1770 pads.
They just look a bit worn / compressed; strait out of the box.
Than i am relieved. Thanks again!

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,699 of 1,956
Wait another 2 years when your gen2 pleather headpads and earpads turn to flakes before you say durability. I bought a pair of T5p gen2 earpads for my GMP 8.35d 2 years ago and now the pleather flakes off. The genuine leather of my T5p gen 1 (bought in 2015) pads remains in good condition.

Also, avoid the Dekoni pads which have square cross section. The stock pads have round cross section and a curved inward facing surface. The Dekoni pads will completely mess up the sonic imaging of the T5p, which is the best attribute of the headphones.

Haha I had to laugh at this post as I just noticed my T5p gen. 2 ear pads are almost instantly self destructing. I live in a humid environment and this may have contributed to it.

Can anyone recommend some aftermarket replacement pads for the T5p, please! I'm in Mexico and I can get Dekoni and other replacements on Amazon, Beyerdynamic original parts are a little more of a challenge to get here. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,700 of 1,956
Haha I had to laugh at this post as I just noticed my T5p gen. 2 ear pads are almost instantly self destructing. I live in a humid environment and this may have contributed to it.

Can anyone recommend some aftermarket replacement pads for the T5p, please! I'm in Mexico and I can get Dekoni and other replacements on Amazon, Beyerdynamic original parts are a little more of a challenge to get here. Thanks.

Try the sheepskin version from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...09e679d00153421c5-1592660095657-06535-_ePNSNV

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,701 of 1,956
One of the reasons why I use earpads covers.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,702 of 1,956
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,703 of 1,956
Why do you use covers?
To protect them from sweating, hair and also to extend the comfort and durability. I don't like this type of p-leathers.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,704 of 1,956
To protect them from sweating, hair and also to extend the comfort and durability. I don't like this type of p-leathers.

Got it.

Covers will help with comfort and sweating (keeps the pads clean)...but don't think they will make your pads last longer. I have an AKG K553 which I never use. I stored it in my closet years ago-- it is a backup to my T5p. A month or so ago I remembered I had it in there and I took it out just for the hell of it...and this is how I found the pads:

553.JPG

I checked my TH-X00 (a backup to my D2000) and those pads had also started to flake. I continued the inspection and I found that my HD800 pads had started to disintegrate ( I do use that one, just never noticed). After 4 or 5 years, pleather pads will just fall apart.

I replaced all the pleather pads with leather (Dekoni, ZMF, Brainwaz). I spent around $400...ouch.

The AKG is back in the closet, this time with sheepskin pads.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #1,705 of 1,956
Got it.

Covers will help with comfort and sweating (keeps the pads clean)...but don't think they will make your pads last longer. I have an AKG K553 which I never use. I stored it in my closet years ago-- it is a backup to my T5p. A month or so ago I remembered I had it in there and I took it out just for the hell of it...and this is how I found the pads:

553.JPG

I checked my TH-X00 (a backup to my D2000) and those pads had also started to flake. I continued the inspection and I found that my HD800 pads had started to disintegrate ( I do use that one, just never noticed). After 4 or 5 years, pleather pads will just fall apart.

I replaced all the pleather pads with leather (Dekoni, ZMF, Brainwaz). I spent around $400...ouch.

The AKG is back in the closet, this time with sheepskin pads.
I see. How did you store it? I even have the original hardcases to store them if I don't use them for long like when on vacation.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,706 of 1,956
I see. How did you store it? I even have the original hardcases to store them if I don't use them for long like when on vacation.

The K553 was in a shelve in the closet. The TH-X00 was hanging on its stand next to my desk. My house is air conditioned.

Plastics and glues just don't last that long.

All the pads not made out of leather needed replacement (some more than others). The pads on my T5p version 1, which are made out of leather, are still in perfect condition. My HD800 now has Dekoni leather pads...and I hear extra bass as a bonus. The Sony F1, DT1350 and my Grados are the only headphones which do not have leather pads because none are available for those models.

Edit: I forgot...the foam cushions on my PX100 also fell apart. LOL. Everything is back to normal now though.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,707 of 1,956
All pleather pads are biodegradable by design. The degrade process starts once they have contact with your face grease and sweat, it does not matter how you store them. Wipe clean the pleather pads with sanitizer fluid after every use is the only way to prolong their lives.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,708 of 1,956
The K553 was in a shelve in the closet. The TH-X00 was hanging on its stand next to my desk. My house is air conditioned.

Plastics and glues just don't last that long.

All the pads not made out of leather needed replacement (some more than others). The pads on my T5p version 1, which are made out of leather, are still in perfect condition. My HD800 now has Dekoni leather pads...and I hear extra bass as a bonus. The Sony F1, DT1350 and my Grados are the only headphones which do not have leather pads because none are available for those models.
I'm glad my Amirons doesn't have p-leather earpads. The headband on the other hand... Not sure if the T5p.2 headband can be replaced by Amiron headband if it starts flaking.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,709 of 1,956
I'm glad my Amirons doesn't have p-leather earpads. The headband on the other hand... Not sure if the T5p.2 headband can be replaced by Amiron headband if it starts flaking.

The headband on my T5p is excellent condition. I don't know if the v2 headband is different from the one on the original model - they look identical.

The cable, on the other hand, is a piece of crap. I had it replaced once before by Beyerdynamic and it needs replacing yet again. They took more than a month to get the job done the first time. With the lockdown going on I fear it will take months now. I used some electrical tape for now and I'm waiting for the world to reopen before I send the T5p to them again.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,710 of 1,956
The headband on my T5p is excellent condition. I don't know if the v2 headband is different from the one on the original model - they look identical.

The cable, on the other hand, is a piece of crap. I had it replaced once before by Beyerdynamic and it needs replacing yet again. They took more than a month to get the job done the first time. With the lockdown going on I fear it will take months now. I used some electrical tape for now and I'm waiting for the world to reopen before I send the T5p to them again.
I use Meze 99C cables for T5p and Amiron. Had no idea the included cable is a piece of crap but the Meze 99C cables just does the job perfectly. Cheaper too than Beyer's cables. Not sure if it's a waste of effort to send it to them again but I hear no difference between Meze's and stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back