New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 24, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,201 of 1,956
wondering if maybe the Beyerdynamic T5p Gen 2 is my next one

I would suggest trying the T5p G2 if you can, I would guess the reason you haven't got any other replies is that your requirements appear to be quite complex I for one have never tried the other headphones you listed.

I have compared the Focal Clear to the T5p G2 to me the law of diminishing returns applies, at more than twice the price I paid, to me the Clear sounded like an open version of the T5p, it was "better" in some areas but I kept the T5p in the end. The Clear was nowhere near as comfortable either.

Yes the T5p is a relatively "bright" headphone when compared to for example the Sennheiser HD-650 which I also own, but the two complement each other well if I fancy a complete change of sound signature.

I would suggest either buy the T5p from a retailer that accepts returns or try before you buy if you are unsure but I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #1,202 of 1,956
I would suggest trying the T5p G2 if you can, I would guess the reason you haven't got any other replies is that your requirements appear to be quite complex I for one have never tried the other headphones you listed.

I have compared the Focal Clear to the T5p G2 to me the law of diminishing returns applies, at more than twice the price I paid, to me the Clear sounded like an open version of the T5p, it was "better" in some areas but I kept the T5p in the end. The Clear was nowhere near as comfortable either.

Yes the T5p is a relatively "bright" headphone when compared to for example the Sennheiser HD-650 which I also own, but the two complement each other well if I fancy a complete change of sound signature.

I would suggest either buy the T5p from a retailer that accepts returns or try before you buy if you are unsure but I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

Thanks for your reply. I absolutely wanna try it before I buy, but not so many stores in Sweden have it in for demo. I will search for it and also listen do the Denons.

I think that, the reason no one else reply on my post, can have to do with the way I’m describing that I like and looking for. Not used to describe sound in English. I guess I’m looking for a fun and slightly warm headphone. I want it to be easy to listen to music.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,203 of 1,956
Thanks for your reply. I absolutely wanna try it before I buy, but not so many stores in Sweden have it in for demo. I will search for it and also listen do the Denons.

I think that, the reason no one else reply on my post, can have to do with the way I’m describing that I like and looking for. Not used to describe sound in English. I guess I’m looking for a fun and slightly warm headphone. I want it to be easy to listen to music.

Cdon had all Beyer head gear for sale at 60% and last evening I somehow managed to order the last pair of T5 MkII for 5694:- (!).
I wont be able to compare them to any Denons, but I can compare them to any other of my head gear (listed at my profile page) if you are interested.
I recently got a the 2,5mm balanced cable (that also fit with my Sony MDR-Z7) if you are interested in that...

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #1,204 of 1,956
Cdon had all Beyer head gear for sale at 60% and last evening I somehow managed to order the last pair of T5 MkII for 5694:- (!).
I wont be able to compare them to any Denons, but I can compare them to any other of my head gear (listed at my profile page) if you are interested.
I recently got a the 2,5mm balanced cable (that also fit with my Sony MDR-Z7) if you are interested in that...

Oh what a nice price!
Well, I went to Hifiklubben and they had just received a pair of the Denon AH-D5200. It was still burning in but I got an hour with them and just fell in love.

Just that Denon sound I loved with the AH-A100 but so much better. So no Beyer for me.
But thanks for the help.

May 20, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,205 of 1,956
IMG_20180520_164625.jpg

modded T5P mk.2

May 25, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,206 of 1,956
I don't understand why there is so little love for a T5p.2 on this forum... Ok, it's a closed back and cannot compete with the best open headphones, but for being a closed back it's pretty much as good as it gets...

Ok, it was never reviewed by Tyll, but the reason for that was not, that Tyll didn't want to, but Beyer not liking Tyll's reviews ("that strange guy") and hence not sending him any review units, I remember reading something about it in the German sources. If you trace it back, Tyll never reviewed a single recent Tesla headphone and never even measured anything past 2014 perhaps. But is this a reason enough to disregard such a technically accomplished product?

I agree with an opinion of one of the fellow head-fier (don't remember who said it), T5p is kind of a Cinderella of Headphones :)

May 25, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,207 of 1,956
I don't understand why there is so little love for a T5p.2 on this forum... Ok, it's a closed back and cannot compete with the best open headphones, but for being a closed back it's pretty much as good as it gets...

Ok, it was never reviewed by Tyll, but the reason for that was not, that Tyll didn't want to, but Beyer not liking Tyll's reviews ("that strange guy") and hence not sending him any review units, I remember reading something about it in the German sources. If you trace it back, Tyll never reviewed a single recent Tesla headphone and never even measured anything past 2014 perhaps. But is this a reason enough to disregard such a technically accomplished product?

I agree with an opinion of one of the fellow head-fier (don't remember who said it), T5p is kind of a Cinderella of Headphones :)
The folks who are doing measurements never listen to those headphones. So there is very little information based on listening experience that would, for example, discuss the T5p.2 performance based on the amplification. There is myth there that T5p.2 does not need much more than iPhone power. On my SE A class amp I use the same dial for T5p.2 as a I use for HD800 and they just blossom. And yes they are great powered by DP-x1 balanced out. But if you want to listen on you phone do not spend $1K, that's just silly.
T1.2 and T5p.2, the same goes for gen 1m, were meant to be an upgrade for DT880 and they are.

May 26, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,208 of 1,956

I really like the T5P.2 a lot

But there is not such much to write about with these phones I guess.
It does not have software glitches or quality issues, There are no modding possibilities as I know of (and no need to anyway in my opinion)
I use it with my Ibasso Dx200 (amp4s) and it just sounds really, really good.

May 26, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,209 of 1,956
So, what is to write about Clear then?

Somehow I have an impression that a headphone doesn't exist for this community until it has been 'approved' by Tyll... What shall we do now, with Tyll gone...

T5p.2 is one of the best, if not the best closed and portable headphone available today. I'd guess it would be a reason enough for it to get more appreciation :)

May 26, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,210 of 1,956
The folks who are doing measurements never listen to those headphones. So there is very little information based on listening experience that would, for example, discuss the T5p.2 performance based on the amplification. There is myth there that T5p.2 does not need much more than iPhone power. On my SE A class amp I use the same dial for T5p.2 as a I use for HD800 and they just blossom. And yes they are great powered by DP-x1 balanced out. But if you want to listen on you phone do not spend $1K, that's just silly.
T1.2 and T5p.2, the same goes for gen 1m, were meant to be an upgrade for DT880 and they are.

I totally agree on the amplification thingie. I'm so thankful I had previously bought the 2,5mm balanced cable to use with my Sony MDR-Z7 on the FiiO X7ii with the AM3A module.
If not I would probably had believed that T5p.2 don't scale, and would had been so and so impressed with the sound driven by my iPhone 6s.
But the do, OMG they scale quite a lot and absolutely love the balanced jack on the AM3A, even though everything about the specs tell us that they are really easy to drive.

May 27, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,211 of 1,956
I‘ve seen here recommendations to use DT1770 pads for better comfort. Why not those of T1? Are they different in terms of comfort, anyone tried them?
They are about the same price here, T1 pads being just 5 euro more expensive...

May 27, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,212 of 1,956
I‘ve seen here recommendations to use DT1770 pads for better comfort. Why not those of T1? Are they different in terms of comfort, anyone tried them?
They are about the same price here, T1 pads being just 5 euro more expensive...

The T1 pads are not meant for close back headphones, they have lots of holes on the undersides. The DT1770 pads have no holes on the undersides (same as the T5p stock pads)

May 27, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,214 of 1,956
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this is but I have a pair if T1 v2 on the way. My current amp lineup is dv 336se, bh crack and a cavali liquid carbon I have a couple of cheap amps from when I first started in this hobby but my question is would the dv, crack or cavali be adequate to power these cans?

Also I'm curious how they stack up against the t5 in sound stage and low end.

May 27, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,215 of 1,956
I love my T5P but I'd have to guess that the reasons it hasn't really caught on is in all honesty can be quite fatiguing, the portable audio market heavily favors IEMs over headphones and Beyer hasn't pushed it hard with the audiophile crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back