New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jul 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #706 of 1,956
  Hi. Did anyone compare T5p 2gen and Fostex TH900? Are they play in one top league or one of them is in the higher class? What are the essential, fundamental differences between them? And what of them have better isolation from external noise? Eventually, I narrowed the choice down to T5p 2gen and Fostex TH900 for my Eximus DP1 (I use internal headphone amp) and have not opportunity to listen to them before buy.

Not sure how much this helps but I had the Fostex TH600's.  The TH600 has more bass quantity than the T5p.2's but the bass on the TH600's does cover up detail in other areas, whereas the T5p.2's bass does not.  TH600 can be harsh in the treble at times, T5p.2 is not.  The T5p.2 is basically more neutral and the TH600 is a clear V shaped signature.  From what I've read, The TH900 is more refined than the TH600 but similar sound signature.  (Possibly even a more distinct V)  If you like bass-centric music or just like a fun sound signature, The TH900's should get a lot of consideration.  If you want an all-arounder, I think the T5p.2 is the better choice.

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #707 of 1,956
I finally got around to demoing a pair of the second-generation model. While I'd like to spend significantly more time with them to allow me to adjust to the differences in sound, I think my preferences lie with the first generation. I mostly listen to broadly rock-based genres, and the sonic balance of the first generation seems a more natural fit for my tastes. Plenty of detail for a portable, and stellar instrument separation for a closed model, but with enough low-end rumble to keep things from sounding clinical. My pair is physically a bit unwieldy for what I intended to use them for, but I can't deny that they sound exactly how I wanted them to. If the T5p.2 had been significantly lighter or slightly smaller than the original, I would probably pick up a pair despite the slight sonic changes that aren't ideal for me. As it stands, though, I'm offloading my pair and sticking with IEMs in my transportable setup.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #708 of 1,956
Hi. Did anyone compare T5p 2gen and Fostex TH900? Are they play in one top league or one of them is in the higher class? What are the essential, fundamental differences between them? And what of them have better isolation from external noise? Eventually, I narrowed the choice down to T5p 2gen and Fostex TH900 for my Eximus DP1 (I use internal headphone amp) and have not opportunity to listen to them before buy.

If isolation is important to you, keep in mind that the T5p is ported and doesn't isolate as well as a true closed can. Check out this thread on closed headphones comparison.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #709 of 1,956
If isolation is important to you, keep in mind that the T5p is ported and doesn't isolate as well as a true closed can. Check out this thread on closed headphones comparison.

Yes, important. And it's sad to hear about bad isolation. But TH900, according to information from  closed headphones comparison thread, actually is open-back: "Very close to LCD-XC sound wise, lighter and extremely comfortable, but almost no isolation". It's pity, that there is no T5p 2gen in the comparison. Interesting then, how good T5p-2 isolation in comparison with T1-2.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #710 of 1,956
Yes, important. And it's sad to hear about bad isolation. But TH900, according to information from  closed headphones comparison thread, actually is open-back: "Very close to LCD-XC sound wise, lighter and extremely comfortable, but almost no isolation". It's pity, that there is no T5p 2gen in the comparison. Interesting then, how good T5p-2 isolation in comparison with T1-2.

Isolation / leakage were my biggest concerns when considering the T5p but it has not been a problem at all. I am puzzled as to why some reviewers have highlighted it as an issue. I wonder if it's just because the ports are more visible. Other closed back designs are ported through the cup mounting points for example, which is not immediately apparent on inspection.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #711 of 1,956
Geez, to my ears the lcdxc abd th900 are very different sounding headphones. Also, I agree the t5p 2 isolates better than reviewers are reporting.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #712 of 1,956
Geez, to my ears the lcdxc abd th900 are very different sounding headphones. Also, I agree the t5p 2 isolates better than reviewers are reporting.

Agreed on the XC 900 comments.   They do sound different to my ears.
I own all three, but haven't used the t5p 2 enough to comment on the isolation.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #713 of 1,956

Not sure how much this helps but I had the Fostex TH600's.  The TH600 has more bass quantity than the T5p.2's but the bass on the TH600's does cover up detail in other areas, whereas the T5p.2's bass does not.  TH600 can be harsh in the treble at times, T5p.2 is not.  The T5p.2 is basically more neutral and the TH600 is a clear V shaped signature.  From what I've read, The TH900 is more refined than the TH600 but similar sound signature.  (Possibly even a more distinct V)  If you like bass-centric music or just like a fun sound signature, The TH900's should get a lot of consideration.  If you want an all-arounder, I think the T5p.2 is the better choice.

That sums it up nicely. Yes, the TH900 is even more v-shaped than the TH600 but has a bit finer treble (where the TH600 sometimes can sound rather hard while the TH900 does not).

Really don't know why this keeps popping up again and again... To me the T5p2 isolates quite well (and no, the TH900 is not like an open headphone like the K812 or the HD800). Yes, there are headphones that isolate better, but for my use cases its more than sufficient.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #714 of 1,956
Hi guys!

Can someone compare SHURE SRH1540 or even better SHURE SRH940 to the t5p2?
I know, they are in different price ranges. But I wonder how big is the difference. SRH940 have a lot of details & the bass quality is awesome (in my opinion) and I like it! I know that t5p2 have more bass(quantity) but whats about the quality, is it so much better?

Thanks & have a great day!

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #715 of 1,956
Hi Guys,

I am looking at picking a pair of these up for mainly home use, wondering if anyone can share an opinion on the following:

1. Isolation: I don't need them too block out everything ( and I don't care as much about leakage), but I have a particularly noisy room mate who can sometimes get vocal while playing PC games ( we share a computer room) so they need to be decent. Can anyone give me an estimate of their isolation, compared to say an Oppo PM-3 which I own.
  2. Any sound comparison between these and the HiFiMan HE400i and Oppo PM-3, these are my current headphones.

The PM-3 is quite a nice headphone but I struggle to wear them for very extended periods (over 2-3 hours) as they can hurt one of my ears, so I tend to use these as my on the go headphones. I find my HE400i very comfortable and pleasant sounding but often can't use it because of 'ambient' noise.

Any opinions on my situation, or any suggestions for other HPs I should check out?

Cheers,

(My current other gear is Modi > Schiit Lyr 1)

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #717 of 1,956
IMHO the Beyer T5p.2 is the best all-around closed high-end headphone you can buy today. Compared to the old version, the new one has more bass body, while not sacrificing the wonderfully open and airy high end these headphones are known for, thus they are a lot more suitable for a wider ranging of genres. Of course the ultimate decision comes down to personal preference, but I think the new version will be more likeable to a lot more audience whereas the first gen can be more polarizing. With the detachable cables, to me it's a no brainer. In terms of isolation, I can say that if you are looking for the ultimate in sound blockage, wear some custom IEM's. But for closed around-ear headphones, the T5p.2 is actually quite good. I tried an experiment at home where I leave them on the sofa playing some music, at a normal listening volume (and even up one notch), maybe with a book in between to prop them up and make sure the ear pads are tightly sealed - I could barely hear the headphone sound leakage in the same room in a quiet setting. Occasionally I hear some music from a loud passage but I wouldn't worry too much about wearing them in a library or in the workplace with co-workers nearby.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #718 of 1,956
Thanks GoSUV, very helpful. I just put a deposit on a pair, which I got for a good price new at $1000 aud. Am I right in saying that the materials used are mostly synthetic and not real leather? I thought I read somewhere that it had leather earcups and headband.

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #719 of 1,956
Thanks GoSUV, very helpful. I just put a deposit on a pair, which I got for a good price new at $1000 aud. Am I right in saying that the materials used are mostly synthetic and not real leather? I thought I read somewhere that it had leather earcups and headband.

They used to use leather and have changed to high quality protein coated synthetic leather, reason being it is more consistent quality wise, longer lasting and also it does not suffer from drying out or becoming sticky due to hair grease and sweat etc...

They use very nice quality pleather though, you won't be disappointed.

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #720 of 1,956
Yes you are right the headband and ear pads are now synthetic rather than real leather, but the material quality seems high and workmanship flawless on my pair. I have both the Gen1 and Gen2 and I feel no regrets about the change of materials from leather to synthetic. I've worn them twice on long haul flights (that's 4 sectors) from Hong Kong to London and I was always wearing them the entire flight except during takeoff/landing and taking a bio-break. No discomfort issues whatsoever. It is as close to music heaven as you can get at 36,000 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back