New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
May 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #601 of 1,965
  I was listening to my DT1350 last night and I am thinking they sound better than the T-5 seconds. Oh boy! Really.....they sounded more full and with better base and a bit brighter. Nothing like making a 1100 dollar mistake. I still like them, I am trying to keep using them to see if I can like them better.

Maybe you have a faulty pair?  Mine sound pretty darn good.  I can see not preferring the sound signature but the T5P.2 should be a technically better phone that the ones you are comparing them too.  The T5P.2 are not as bright as some of the phones you have mentioned but I would not consider the T5P.2 to be a dark signature.  That makes me wonder if there is something wrong with your pair.

May 26, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #602 of 1,965
They sound flat to me with an analytical sound; not too much to get excided about as far as being fun cans. They are not bright-far from it. Now, people are telling the T-1 first gens are brighter and have that so called fun to listen to factor. I suppose the t-1 second sound like the t-5p second. I would not say they sound bad-its like they sound dull and flat in some areas, they are far from bright. I find classical and jazz music OK to listen to on the t-5p. Then I put of those t-70p and think my heavens these are fun. Some say they are (T70) lacking bass-but I hear it along with the brightness. I like them better than the t-90's, but the t-90 have a wider sound stage and a bit more bass. I am doing what folks have told me to do, and that's keep using them everyday, and I have been doing that. I suppose the bottom-line is they are not my favorite-especially when I put my Senns HD 800 on. Then I think why waste my time with the T-5. Well 1100 bucks is a good reason to use them. I think next I am going to try to find a good deal on a new T-1 first gen.

May 26, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #603 of 1,965
  They sound flat to me with an analytical sound; not too much to get excided about as far as being fun cans. They are not bright-far from it. Now, people are telling the T-1 first gens are brighter and have that so called fun to listen to factor. I suppose the t-1 second sound like the t-5p second. I would not say they sound bad-its like they sound dull and flat in some areas, they are far from bright. I find classical and jazz music OK to listen to on the t-5p. Then I put of those t-70p and think my heavens these are fun. Some say they are (T70) lacking bass-but I hear it along with the brightness. I like them better than the t-90's, but the t-90 have a wider sound stage and a bit more bass. I am doing what folks have told me to do, and that's keep using them everyday, and I have been doing that. I suppose the bottom-line is they are not my favorite-especially when I put my Senns HD 800 on. Then I think why waste my time with the T-5. Well 1100 bucks is a good reason to use them. I think next I am going to try to find a good deal on a new T-1 first gen.

Sennheiser HD800 is on another level. Sell T5P and get Fostex TH900. It's a different kind of fun and reference sound.

May 26, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #605 of 1,965

You could always sell the T5P.2 and get easily enough to pay for a new pair of T1's. However, I'm not sure the T1's are going to give you anything the Senn 800's won't provide.  They seem to be the same type sound sig and many seem to feel the Senn's do it better.  (Bright, bass light and detailed)  As Obsidyen, recommended above, the Fostex TH900's would give you huge bass, in addition to brightness, if you were looking for something a bit different.

May 26, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #606 of 1,965
I am sorry! I was under the impression that we where talking about headphones and comparing them. Again, I am sorry and I will no longer post. Please accept my apology-I did mean to offend or cause any drama. Again, I was responding to post that's all.

May 27, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #607 of 1,965
The HD800 is the epitome of precision and detail, however, its highs can be fatiguing and there is a distinct lack of bass. Agreeing with @obsidyen
, the Audeze LCD series sound signature is the antithesis of the HD800. It brings the bass and the warmth that you may be seeking. To my ears, one is not superior to the other; they serve different purposes and therefore I have both.

Trust me, if only I have 4 grand lying around idle, I would sprang for the Audeze :)

May 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #608 of 1,965
I have the T5p.2 (first over the ear headphone I ever bought) and I like them well enough but are they OK to use on the plane under modest volume and not annoy fellow passengers?

Using an iPhone 6 as a source, what portable DAC/amp combo would you consider?  I'm looking at the Oppo HA 2 on the low end.  Any others what would be Apple compliant and provide better quality sound?

May 27, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #609 of 1,965
  Another test of the t5p 2.ge,but its in polish,and i cant copy the test to google translate :/

http://www.hifichoice.pl/beyerdynamic-t5p-v--2-test,101,15

Chord Mojo is excellent for flying. The sound of which is quite remarkable with an iPhone assuming your files are lossless and well mastered material, note you need a CCK or buy a cable listed on the first page, 3rd post like myself and you don't need the CCK. 

Failing that, the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC is more portable, and a big improvement on what is an already good sounding phone. I own both and the Mojo gets most use. 

May 27, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #610 of 1,965
  Chord Mojo is excellent for flying. The sound of which is quite remarkable with an iPhone assuming your files are lossless and well mastered material, note you need a CCK or buy a cable listed on the first page, 3rd post like myself and you don't need the CCK. 

Failing that, the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC is more portable, and a big improvement on what is an already good sounding phone. I own both and the Mojo gets most use. 

Thanks Pedro, I'll definitely consider the Mojo but where is the cable you are referring to?  I went to the first page but can't find the reference.  Definitely would not want to use the CCK.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #613 of 1,965
Got my T5P sec gen a couple of days ago. I noticed right away they are warmer..maybe too much for my liking. I have a warm amp ( ifi micro ican se) so that might be part of it.

I had the T1's...modded them for bass..broke a driver...bought T70 (way bright). Modded the T70 with angled driver mounts from t1 and velour pads and felt in cup for bass.
T70's were ok but i wanted an unmodded perfect headphone so i got the T5P.
They do have a depth reminicent of the T1. Only warmer

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #614 of 1,965
  See the third post on the very first page of this thread. Scroll down until you see 'Connecting Mojo to iDevices (Click to show)' - click on this, you will then see dropdown menu which will then link to all the cable providers. I recommend Lavricables. Excellent service. 

Hope this helps. If you still cannot find it, email them: lavricables at gmail dot com

Thanks,  I'll definitely go for one of these cables.

I ordered this one because it has the right angle connectors and it doesn't have the wide base at the lightning end like the L19. Now I'm waiting on that slow boat from China...

If it works, though, it'll be well worth the wait. Thanks for the heads up @Pedro Dixon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back