New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Mar 25, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #331 of 1,956
  Tnx for the reply :) How do you think the 
Tnx for the reply :)  How do you think the isolation will be,when im sitting in the car and my wife plays music on the cars radio? The shure are good here,but not perfect.The audio technica ath msr 7 was a dissaster on this. So they sound better than se846.That sounds very good :D

Hi , T5P 2g isolation's very good !  , i use  on the go every day ( Train , Bus ......) i barely hear the other passegers sitting beside , in front , rear of me when they are speaking , i can hear noises of the train , bus when music stop , but i'm on gapless with my DAP , so it is not a problem .

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #333 of 1,956
Hi everyone, I'm considering buying these. I'm mainly an EDM fan (80% head time), but I like nightclubs with proper, high quality sound systems (for those familiar, Volksgarten club in Vienna has a perfect sound system imo) as opposed to clubs where all you can hear is bass (and you get ringing in ears for hours). That said, I love tight and present bass. I also listen to other genres from time to time. I will be using headphones with Chord Mojo. Would you recommend these?

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #334 of 1,956
  Hi everyone, I'm considering buying these. I'm mainly an EDM fan (80% head time), but I like nightclubs with proper, high quality sound systems (for those familiar, Volksgarten club in Vienna has a perfect sound system imo) as opposed to clubs where all you can hear is bass (and you get ringing in ears for hours). That said, I love tight and present bass. I also listen to other genres from time to time. I will be using headphones with Chord Mojo. Would you recommend these?

Don't think T5p 2nd gen is for you.  With T5p.2 we are talking about flat bass quality, not quantity, and overall they are great for a more critical listening rather than EDM where you want deeper low end impact and smoother top end so synthesized instruments won't sound too harsh.  Perhaps DT 1770 Pro?

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #335 of 1,956
T5p.2 now has some serious competition, the new ART series ATH-A2000Z

A2kZ can't match T5p 2nd gen soundstage expansion or treble airiness, but A2kZ bass is more extended, noticeably a little more quantity (especially sub-bass), and more articulate and tighter in comparison, and upper mids/treble overall are as detailed and revealing but AT sounds more natural and a little smoother in comparison to Beyer.  Another T5p.2 advantage is removable cables, while A2kZ is permanently attached.  Also, A2kZ has a better isolation and no sound leakage, in addition to $650 vs $1.1k price tag.  Another thing, T5p.2 is more efficient and not as picky about the source, while A2kZ scales up when amped (prefer it with my Micro iDSD).

No clear winner, each one has its pros and cons, but they are definitely in a similar sound category.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #336 of 1,956
T5p.2 now has some serious competition, the new ART series ATH-A2000Z

A2kZ can't match T5p 2nd gen soundstage expansion or treble airiness, but A2kZ bass is more extended, noticeably a little more quantity (especially sub-bass), and more articulate and tighter in comparison, and upper mids/treble overall are as detailed and revealing but AT sounds more natural and a little smoother in comparison to Beyer.  Another T5p.2 advantage is removable cables, while A2kZ is permanently attached.  Also, A2kZ has a better isolation and no sound leakage, in addition to $650 vs $1.1k price tag.  Another thing, T5p.2 is more efficient and not as picky about the source, while A2kZ scales up when amped (prefer it with my Micro iDSD).

No clear winner, each one has its pros and cons, but they are definitely in a similar sound category.
cool, beyer looks nicer to my eyes, aint digging the chrome mirror style finish.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #337 of 1,956
Yeah, the pure titanium earcup back is rather shiny, I had to find a good angle while taking a picture so my mug wouldn't be reflected lol! Plus, some might not dig 3D wing support, I actually like it and got used to it with my R70x. Like a said, not a clear winner, probably up to a personal preference of design and sound sig difference, but these are definitely in the same category for those considering either one.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #338 of 1,956
Greetings,
I've been loving reading your thoughts recently on these two 'phones.
Are you planning an in-depth review/comparison?
I'm currently using some money I've saved before it's gone on setting up a good headphone system - I hope one valve amp and one solid state (Kenzie for valves and Questyle CMA600i for ss.
Have already an HD800s and a Nighthawk and want one more very good closed back, and was almost settled on the T5p2. I was waiting to see if I could acquire one for a slightly better price and then last week one of the UK Hi-Fi magazines reviewed the A2000Z.
In a nutshell, he thought it was the best AT 'phone in years, and it stood out among the plethora of 'phones he gets to review as being one of those rare examples of being something special; he thought it the most "inspirational" AT 'phone in a long time.
So now I'm pondering!
At somewhat more than half the cost of the T5p2, that is a very strong point in its favour, and bearing in mind my main bugbear with them (having heard neither I must add!) that is saying something ..... But the cable!
Why oh why?
I look at that photo you've uploaded with them side-by-side, and see the AT cable bending away sharply from its 'protected' entry point, and my heart sinks.
I've waited a long time for the two top beyers to be upgraded with removable cables, and I would dearly love to get the T5p2, as this is the first time in my life I've been able to afford to get this stuff, and it is a one-off.
But the AT! I love its Titanium look for what that matters, and the reviews, and your, thoughts on its sound, are important.
Bugger!
I hope to read more of your thoughts soon.
For now - you're going to a desert island with one set of headphones. Which of these two do you take?!
Thankyou for your very readable and entertaining thoughts on various matters in head-fi.
Be well.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #339 of 1,956

Greetings,
I've been loving reading your thoughts recently on these two 'phones.
Are you planning an in-depth review/comparison?
I'm currently using some money I've saved before it's gone on setting up a good headphone system - I hope one valve amp and one solid state (Kenzie for valves and Questyle CMA600i for ss.
Have already an HD800s and a Nighthawk and want one more very good closed back, and was almost settled on the T5p2. I was waiting to see if I could acquire one for a slightly better price and then last week one of the UK Hi-Fi magazines reviewed the A2000Z.
In a nutshell, he thought it was the best AT 'phone in years, and it stood out among the plethora of 'phones he gets to review as being one of those rare examples of being something special; he thought it the most "inspirational" AT 'phone in a long time.
So now I'm pondering!
At somewhat more than half the cost of the T5p2, that is a very strong point in its favour, and bearing in mind my main bugbear with them (having heard neither I must add!) that is saying something ..... But the cable!
Why oh why?
I look at that photo you've uploaded with them side-by-side, and see the AT cable bending away sharply from its 'protected' entry point, and my heart sinks.
I've waited a long time for the two top beyers to be upgraded with removable cables, and I would dearly love to get the T5p2, as this is the first time in my life I've been able to afford to get this stuff, and it is a one-off.
But the AT! I love its Titanium look for what that matters, and the reviews, and your, thoughts on its sound, are important.
Bugger!
I hope to read more of your thoughts soon.
For now - you're going to a desert island with one set of headphones. Which of these two do you take?!
Thankyou for your very readable and entertaining thoughts on various matters in head-fi.
Be well.

Of course, full detailed review to follow, including comparison to T5p 2nd gen.  Also, will see what could be done regarding DYI cable replacement.  Earcups have a decent strain relief so I wouldn't worry about the bend.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #340 of 1,956

Don't think T5p 2nd gen is for you.  With T5p.2 we are talking about flat bass quality, not quantity, and overall they are great for a more critical listening rather than EDM where you want deeper low end impact and smoother top end so synthesized instruments won't sound too harsh.  Perhaps DT 1770 Pro?

Hm, I disagree with that... I listen to mostly EDM and electronica of various kinds and find the T5p2 just perfect for that. To me overwhelming bass is just distracting and gets unnerving rather quickly. The T5p2 has very good overall balance, making it suitable not only for electronica, but most other genres as well.
The DT1770 has a bit too much midbass for my taste and while I like it for being non-fatiguiing yet detailed, I still prefer the T5p2.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #341 of 1,956
... Have already an HD800s and a Nighthawk and want one more very good closed back, and was almost settled on the T5p2. I was waiting to see if I could acquire one for a slightly better price 

I'm waiting too 
smile.gif

Beyer seem to be slow in ramping up production and getting them out to more mainstream outlets. Certainly a lot slower than the with T1.2 open backs.

Having heard the T5p.2 however, I'm prepared to wait. Those ugly ATs certainly won't sway me 
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #343 of 1,956
I'm a new owner.  I also have the T1 1st gen and was hoping for an equivalent closed back.  Only about 3-4 hours in, but so far, I'm pleased.  

The T5P are very detailed, maybe not quite so much as the T1.  However, the T5P are never harsh, whereas the T1 can be at times.  The T5P high end does not sound rolled off to me though.  Still plenty of attack and shine, just no harshness.  

Mids seem to be neutral and equivalent to the T1.

I like the bass a lot: Better than the T1 bass.  The T5P seem to have a slight mid bass boost. It makes the bass kind of punchy.  I used to have the HiFiman 400 and sold it. I've missed the mid bass boost and I've thought about re-acquiring them.  The T5P's have put that to rest.  I also own the Fostex TH600's.  The T5P don't have that kind of bass quantity but the 600's also lose some detail with the overemphasized bass. 

The T1's seem to have an edge on sound stage, which you'd expect from an open headphone.  T5P is still very good for a closed headphone.  Imaging is one of my favorite features of the T1. I'm thinking the T5P isn't quite as good but I need to put more time in to tell for sure.  

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #344 of 1,956
One thing I'm not thrilled about the T5P is the cable.  On the plus side, it's removable.  Are there any good compatible replacement cables out there, without breaking the bank?

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #345 of 1,956
I dont like to much bass.But i like it deep,punchy and realistic. I have some supra nitro in ears.And they are Too bassy,wich makes them darker sounding and vocals gets in the background.The shure se846 have perfect bass,vocals,mids,treble.Propably not the best out there, but i think it does everything overal good.Not hars.so fatiguing to my ears does not exists.the HD 800 was hurting my ears after some while.But i miss a wider soundstage. If the t5p have a similiar sound like the se846,or even better with larger soundstage, it sounds like an winner for me :) A headphone That does good, whatever music you play on them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back